Replaying 3d world I came to the conclusion that this is a modern gem.

#1winston28singlePosted 8/10/2014 1:05:14 PM
So much fun.
#2KungFuPhilPosted 8/10/2014 1:09:09 PM
When people say call a game a "gem," I generally think of a unique experience that not many gamers got the chance to play.

Super Mario 3D World may be an amazing game, but it didn't really bring a unique experience nor was it an unpopular game.
---
PSN: Moar_Shtick
#3HugsAllAroundPosted 8/10/2014 1:09:43 PM
It's really fun.
#4winston28single(Topic Creator)Posted 8/10/2014 1:16:48 PM
KungFuPhil posted...
When people say call a game a "gem," I generally think of a unique experience that not many gamers got the chance to play.

Super Mario 3D World may be an amazing game, but it didn't really bring a unique experience nor was it an unpopular game.

?
#5mra823Posted 8/10/2014 1:20:21 PM
I'd put 3d world in company with the Galaxy series. All 3 games struck a balance between creativity and new ideas while keeping classic characters, game mechanics etc. Time will tell if it stands as a classic game, but I'd say it's one of the best Mario games as a whole (Though I guess many would say Galaxy, the original game and super mario world would be better).
#6random_man9119Posted 8/10/2014 1:25:07 PM
Eh... It's alright...
---
NNID:MrOddities|SteamID:Mr.Oddities
Currently playing:Skyrim,Borderlands 2,Dragon Quest IX,LoZ: Minish Cap,Wario Land 4,Guacamelee!STCE,Fallout 3
#7NintendoLover25Posted 8/10/2014 1:33:41 PM
It's my favorite Mario game of all. Until now I preferred the 2D games, but this is the one 3D Mario I'd rather play than SMB3, SMW, NSMB series, etc.
#8DrRMPosted 8/10/2014 1:46:22 PM
winston28single posted...
KungFuPhil posted...

?

it said, SM3DW is an awesome game but not a gem...

Gem = rare, SM3DW = popular =/= rare

so, SM3DW =/= Gem.

get it now... game is great though :3
---
"He aqui mi secreto, que no puede ser mas simple : solo con el corazon se puede ver bien; lo esencial es invisible para los ojos."
#9astutecolliePosted 8/10/2014 1:48:16 PM
Biggest disappointment of my life as a mario fan. Never thought the day would come where 3d mario games for unoriginal canned experiences.
#10McDude_Posted 8/10/2014 2:02:36 PM(edited)
It's an extension of the thinking behind the design for Galaxy. Basically, they took away the ability to explore and veer off the beaten path, and they forced you to collect stars in a specific order using a specific means of doing so. 3D World is this idea taken to the next level because now you can't even control the camera, and they brought back the timer to force you to rush you through the level. It's the ghost of the 2D Marios coming back to haunt the 3D ones.

Some fans like to claim that platforming is what Mario is about and it's all he should ever be about, and they've praised the mostly boring Galaxy games for bringing him back to his roots, but then when the idea reaches its logical conclusion (3D World), they complain and ask for Galaxy 3 (lol, go figure).