Do you think Nintendo is as greedy as 3rd parties?

#1vermilion99Posted 8/11/2014 8:23:58 AM
You will read numerous posts on this board about how greedy 3rd parties are and how they don't care about gamers. Nintendo is often made out to be the opposite.

Serious question though. As a gamer, when you purchase a home console you should automatically want as many games and options as possible, right? Do you find it greedy that Nintendo offers a home console this generation that is going to have nothing but Nintendo developed or funded titles? They are charging you $300 for a console to play their games only. It seems in some ways just as bad as what certain 3rd parties do. On top of that, Nintendo home consoles have shorter lifespans than Sony and MS consoles. They generally have supported their console for 4-5 years and then all support is dropped and you have to buy the next Nintendo home console to play their games.
#2NemerlightPosted 8/11/2014 8:30:03 AM
All companies are greedy.
---
Miami Heat not champions of 2014.
http://i.imgur.com/m52Q7Rt.gif
#3burningxbridgesPosted 8/11/2014 8:30:22 AM
Of course they're greedy, they're a company. They don't make games to fill the hearts of people around the world with joy. They do it for money. That said, I bought a $200 Wii U from Nintendo, and have gotten way more than $200 worth of enjoyment out of it in the past two months alone. And have spent very little on software thanks to the numerous purchase incentives and promotions they've been running. I genuinely believe Nintendo has the best fun to price ratio right now by far, and in video games, that's pretty important.
#4FayeLadyPosted 8/11/2014 8:32:13 AM
In many ways they are better, but in many ways they are worse. In general the worse of Nintendo stems not from greed, but from incompetence. They aren't actively scheming to trick people out of money, just bad at providing a decent value proposition. Most Nintendo employees involved in the decision making probably actually think the current offerings are a decent value. Very few are likely trying to mislead people.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#5WinternovaPosted 8/11/2014 8:33:48 AM
No company is greedy. Every company wants to make a profit for their investors and usually distribute that profit to the investors via dividend. No company "[has] or [shows] a selfish desire for wealth and possessions".(Merriam-Webster)
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#6AvirosbPosted 8/11/2014 8:34:57 AM
I bought mine for Smash. Guess I don't have standards or something
---
Console wars are like pissing contests. So yeah.
#7burningxbridgesPosted 8/11/2014 8:35:23 AM
Winternova posted...
No company "[has] or [shows] a selfish desire for wealth and possessions".

Uhhhhhhhhhh
#8WinternovaPosted 8/11/2014 8:38:49 AM
"Selfish" being the operative word, burningxbridges.
---
#9burningxbridgesPosted 8/11/2014 8:44:05 AM
Winternova posted...
"Selfish" being the operative word, burningxbridges.

Capitalism, by nature, is selfish. Companies don't make money with the intention of giving it out to others. That's an effect of business, of which the sole purpose is to make money for yourself. Even larger companies' poor attempt at charity is selfish, as it exists only to boost their image. Companies as a unit are selfish, and individually you'll find the owners and operators within are also selfish. That's just how business works.
#10WinternovaPosted 8/11/2014 8:50:38 AM
burningxbridges posted...
Companies don't make money with the intention of giving it out to others.

Do you know what a dividend is?

That's an effect of business, of which the sole purpose is to make money for yourself.

Stockholders and shareholders.

Even larger companies' poor attempt at charity is selfish, as it exists only to boost their image.

Your poor perception, thankfully, is not reality.

Companies as a unit are selfish, and individually you'll find the owners and operators within are also selfish. That's just how business works.

You obviously have no knowledge of how businesses work.
---