The N 7 system wants! (Nintendo's next gen system) what do you want from N next?

#21ProzacMessiahPosted 8/12/2014 2:46:53 PM
iKhanic posted...
You are half right. If you are going to have a system like the Wii or Wii U, where the shape isn't ideal for carrying around, and there are a bunch of different wires you need coming out of it, then yes, size/weight matters not.

On the other hand, you have to look no further than the Gamecube to see when size and weight DO matter. The GC had 2 wires, the composite cables and power. It had a handle so it was easy to carry, and it was light and small. As a result, I STILL take my Gamecube around on longer trips, while I leave every other system at home. The GCN is just so damn portable.

My impression is that the percentage of gamers who even semi-frequently transported their home consoles was always small, and it should be even smaller now. The peak for that sort of thing would have been during GameCube's generation, when you could stage a poor man's LAN party with consoles, but before online console gaming was ubiquitous. Hauling your PS4/Xbone over to a friend's house for a rousing session of multiplayer gaming would be the pinnacle of Not Getting It. Business travelers would be better served by a handheld. About the only group of people I can think of who might be frequently transporting a home console would be kids from broken homes who are under a shared custody arrangement.

Foregoing a hard drive to achieve a certain form factor would be a bad trade.

That said, I agree about the GameCube. I was in a different state for work for about three months during that generation, and I did bring my GC. It's the only time I've traveled with a console.
#22mooocooow02(Topic Creator)Posted 8/12/2014 9:32:57 PM
ProzacMessiah posted...
mooocooow02 posted...
I'm actually not in favor of adding such a large HDD, because most gamers (Nintendo is thinking here) won't use over say 100 GB, and if they do, they probably can go out and buy their own HDD and get a better deal. Rather than NIntendo going out, and equipping systems with larger HDDs than needed.

It's a mistake to think only of how much space Wii U owners use on their Wii U. Most gamers use far more than 100GB.

If Nintendo's next system is comparable in power to the Sony/MS offerings, it's reasonable to assume that they'll go the same route of fully installing all games to the hard drive because the I/O speed of the optical drive won't be adequate. If that's the case, a 1TB drive should be the minimum. My PS4 hard drive is already full.

Wow. How big is the hdd and what do you have on there games, or your library of stuff?

I don't think Nintendo needs it to be that big because people stream so much now and already have their library of media on another hard drive. One model with 100 should suffice and anyone who games more than that can buy their own at a better price.

With controllers, the reason I say allow legacy devices is because it means supporting backwards compatibility and keeping sales up. I feel with the Wii remote, it's accessories, the Wii U pro, and gamepad. You should have enough controller options for the next system.
---
I wont' change this signature until F-zero, Mario Kart, and or Zelda are released for Wii U
#23ProzacMessiahPosted 8/13/2014 12:21:02 PM
mooocooow02 posted...
Wow. How big is the hdd and what do you have on there games, or your library of stuff?

I don't think Nintendo needs it to be that big because people stream so much now and already have their library of media on another hard drive. One model with 100 should suffice and anyone who games more than that can buy their own at a better price.

The PS4 hard drive is 500GB. Only four hundred and some is ever available. The rest is either occupied by the OS/UI or permanently reserved by it. Except for a few captures, I don't have any movies, music, or photos on my PS4. All of my space has been eaten up by games. Again, this is because the PS4/XB1 require full installation of every game to the hard drive.

COD: Ghosts with DLC and Wolfenstein are each over 50GB, so those two games alone use up almost a quarter of the available space. I think I have a little over a dozen games installed, and a few of those are smaller indie games that take up a fraction of the space of the major retail titles. If the N7's power also requires full game installation to the hard drive, a 100GB hard drive would be worthless. I don't think they even make HDDs that small anymore. 1TB drives are only $50 or so retail now, and will be even cheaper soon. It should be the minimum acceptable storage level.
#24NarutoPosted 8/13/2014 12:22:54 PM
I hope this time they're launching with all three (or four?) Mass Effect games.
#25WinternovaPosted 8/13/2014 12:26:15 PM
iKhanic posted...
Backwards Compatibility: VC library for all Nintendo systems.

For Nintendo to innovate, they'll have to ditch the concept of backward compatibility...at least with recent generations.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#26iKhanicPosted 8/13/2014 12:32:55 PM
Winternova posted...
iKhanic posted...
Backwards Compatibility: VC library for all Nintendo systems.

For Nintendo to innovate, they'll have to ditch the concept of backward compatibility...at least with recent generations.

That's why I said the only BC would be through the digital VC, just like the PS4/XB1.

But I only say no physical BC because Eoin pointed out to me that PPC architecture won't be possible for Nintendo next gen. Otherwise, I would have said that they should absolutely go with PPC. Why? 1-It would avoid droughts, as Nintendo has been programming on that archetecture for 3 generations now, to switch would slow down development. and 2- Backwards compatibility following an unsuccessful (or weakly successful) console is much more important that following a very successful console. Going into Nintendo's next system, not many people will have a Wii U, so having BC expands the new system's library to several great unplayed games for a lot of people.
---
"Well, they sure don't make evil immortal sorcerers like they used to." - Klarion the Witch Boy
#27mooocooow02(Topic Creator)Posted 8/14/2014 12:42:31 PM
What do all of your abbreviations mean, what is PPC?

Anyway, backwards compatibility is great and should not be removed, however, maybe they should do it so that things are going to be digital. From a parents perspective, having Wii-Wii U games on your N7 is a great way to save money. Who cares if those games sold poorly, just put them on e-shop, lower the price, and then keep sales going.

You can still innovate and continue tradition. You save old controllers, to boost sales, so you can keep selling old technology.

Also, for HDD space, I don't know why those games take up 50 gigs of space, but we need to either not have games saved to the harddrive or increase storage space to 1TB...if inexpensive enough.
---
I wont' change this signature until F-zero, Mario Kart, and or Zelda are released for Wii U
#28iKhanicPosted 8/14/2014 1:01:33 PM
mooocooow02 posted...
What do all of your abbreviations mean, what is PPC?

Anyway, backwards compatibility is great and should not be removed, however, maybe they should do it so that things are going to be digital. From a parents perspective, having Wii-Wii U games on your N7 is a great way to save money. Who cares if those games sold poorly, just put them on e-shop, lower the price, and then keep sales going.

You can still innovate and continue tradition. You save old controllers, to boost sales, so you can keep selling old technology.

Also, for HDD space, I don't know why those games take up 50 gigs of space, but we need to either not have games saved to the harddrive or increase storage space to 1TB...if inexpensive enough.

Power PC.
---
"Well, they sure don't make evil immortal sorcerers like they used to." - Klarion the Witch Boy
#29HeyKaetsuPosted 8/14/2014 1:16:36 PM
N7? I want Mass Effect :P