Most underrated Nintendo console (excluding Wii U)?

#1TheMisterManGuyPosted 8/12/2014 12:14:32 PM(edited)
Which-post SNES Nintendo system was the most underrated? - Results (208 votes)
Nintendo 64
13.46% (28 votes)
Nintendo GameCube
69.71% (145 votes)
Wii
16.83% (35 votes)
This poll is now closed.
After the SNES, Nintendo consoles became very love it or hate it. Some receiving more criticism than others. But which system do you feel is the most underrated? I'll be honest and say the Wii. Taking off the nostalgia goggles, the N64 was one of Nintendo's more lackluster systems even if it had some of the best of all time games, and reception of the GameCube has certainly improved after these years to where its now one of the best Nintendo systems.

For the Wii, a lot of the problems people had with it either made no sense, or was very flawed.

"Motion controls are a gimmick" - When done wrong yes, but you have to play a game that knows how to do motion controls. Sadly, so many early Wii games suffered from gimmicky waggle controls tacked on just because its there. Plus, most Wii games support the classic controller or the GameCube controller, so you can't say you were forced to use it.

"No HD and bad graphics" - While these were valid complaints from a multiplatform perspective. A good art style, polish, and well done aesthetic can make a game on any system look good. Notice how good Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast still looks.

"All Nintendo released was just a bunch of casual games" - Nintendo released more core games for the Wii than casual.

"90% of Wii games were crap or shovelware"- This is Nintendo's fault how? While the Wii suffered from a load of shovelware, that was only the case because of its success. I guess the PS2 was crap as well because it had just as much, if not more shovelware than the Wii. Besides, there are a lot of great niche, underrated and hidden gems for the Wii. I think more people are starting to see that.

The Wii had its flaws, and I understand not everyone has to like it, so I don't expect to change anyone's mind here. But its far from Nintendo's worst console, nor is it one of the worst consoles. And a lot of the criticism it got was undeserved at best, and stupid at worst.
#2Flare7Posted 8/12/2014 12:10:10 PM
I think 64 is finally starting to come around, but for awhile it was a dumping ground (people are even calling it overrated, lol). Gamecube is kinda meh to me, definitely a good console though..you could make a case for it being underrated just based on its sales figures, but it's got an absurd following now (have you seen the game prices?!). Wii is bleh imo.
---
Currently playing: I don't know yet :(
#3JJH777Posted 8/12/2014 12:10:53 PM
The wii definitely. It has tons of amazing first party and third party titles. It pretty much got hated on because it didn't make the leap to HD graphics.
---
9/2/13-The Hero of GameFAQs fought bravely but fell to an unrelenting horde supported by a corrupt tyranny.
R.I.P. Hero of Time, 7 time CB Champion, Link
#4Da_GeekPosted 8/12/2014 12:12:42 PM
Wii U.

I don't play by the rules. *Puts on sunglasses*
---
Infamous Second Son was TOO DANG SHORT!
#5iKhanicPosted 8/12/2014 12:35:57 PM
JJH777 posted...
The wii definitely. It has tons of amazing first party and third party titles. It pretty much got hated on because it didn't make the leap to HD graphics.

Yep this.

How is the GC winning? I love the system to death, but it is hands down the most overrated on this list.

Tell me something. If the GC didn't exist and all of it's exclusive games were ported to XB, what would we lose as a consumer?
---
"Well, they sure don't make evil immortal sorcerers like they used to." - Klarion the Witch Boy
#6Flare7Posted 8/12/2014 12:37:52 PM
iKhanic posted...
JJH777 posted...

Yep this.

How is the GC winning? I love the system to death, but it is hands down the most overrated on this list.

Tell me something. If the GC didn't exist and all of it's exclusive games were ported to XB, what would we lose as a consumer?

It really is getting out of hand..the prices of the games are astronomical
---
Currently playing: I don't know yet :(
#7TheMisterManGuy(Topic Creator)Posted 8/12/2014 12:41:02 PM
iKhanic posted...
JJH777 posted...

Yep this.

I really can't see how the GameCube can be the most underrated by this point. The system's reputation has greatly improved since the 2000s. Though I do think the N64 is the most overrated on the list, like I said, taking off the nostalgia goggles, it really wasn't that special, especially since outside the Wii U, it had the worst 3rd party support of any Nintendo system.
#8cris1ussenPosted 8/12/2014 12:42:23 PM
I don't think that "underrated" is the correct word for this question, i think "dislike" its better

I mean how the Wii could be underrated since it had a lot of support?, an underrated console is more like if nobody knows it existence, one example: Ouya

In any case i don't know which Nintendo console can be underrated, maybe the Virtual Boy?
---
3DS Code: 1547-5436-7425, Name: Javier
AC:NL Dream Code: 4800-2167-4480
#9TheMisterManGuy(Topic Creator)Posted 8/12/2014 12:52:45 PM
cris1ussen posted...
I don't think that "underrated" is the correct word for this question, i think "dislike" its better

I mean how the Wii could be underrated since it had a lot of support?, an underrated console is more like if nobody knows it existence, one example: Ouya

In any case i don't know which Nintendo console can be underrated, maybe the Virtual Boy?

The Wii was underrated because it was heavily panned by industry "experts" and self-proclaimed "core" gamers because of its controller, graphical capablilities, dated online, Nintendo's casual focus and shovelware, and it was largely irrelevant to the hardcore gaming population. Some of the complaints were justified, but a lot of it was just ignorant complaining by "hardcore" gamers who wont except anything other than traditionaly controlled HD blockbusters.
#10iKhanicPosted 8/12/2014 12:58:07 PM
TheMisterManGuy posted...
iKhanic posted...
JJH777 posted...

Yep this.

I really can't see how the GameCube can be the most underrated by this point. The system's reputation has greatly improved since the 2000s. Though I do think the N64 is the most overrated on the list, like I said, taking off the nostalgia goggles, it really wasn't that special, especially since outside the Wii U, it had the worst 3rd party support of any Nintendo system.

The N64 is a mixed bag. You are right about the 3rd Party support, but on the other hand it revolutionized gameplay with an architecture designed around 3D games, and a controller built for the analog stick.
---
"Well, they sure don't make evil immortal sorcerers like they used to." - Klarion the Witch Boy