Nintendo does stylized art styles MUCH better than Sony

#1iKhanicPosted 8/12/2014 2:06:24 PM
I'm gonna get some hate for this, but to put it bluntly, a good chunk of Sony's first party stylized titles look ugly if you ask me.

Little Big Planet, Tearaway, and now The Tomorrow Children just look...bad.

On the other hand, I don't think I've seen a Nintendo art style I'd call ugly.
---
"Well, they sure don't make evil immortal sorcerers like they used to." - Klarion the Witch Boy
#2IokuaPosted 8/12/2014 2:08:47 PM
Shame they don't do console design, online, and third party relations better than Sony.

You know, things that actually matter.
---
Welcome to gamefaqs, where poverty is an illegal activity.
#3QueskerPosted 8/12/2014 2:10:40 PM
I guess since they're not exactly common material to get used to, especially Tearaway, since real life paper aesthetics (as in, not something like Paper Mario)...haven't exactly been done before, and thus people aren't as comfortable. Similar deal with LittleBigPlanet, although I don't think the hate is quite as, for a lack of better word unfortunately, "valid" in this instance. What's especially not "valid" is for The Tomorrow Children, since from what I can tell from the trailer, the "ugly" artstyle is the whole point. It's hard to explain in words, but you'll probably know what I'm talking about hopefully.

Still, I personally wouldn't call them ugly, per say, especially for LBP.
---
7 is good. I swear the school's 75-100 grading scale has ruined peoples perception of things.
-MillionGunmannn
#4Flare7Posted 8/12/2014 2:10:58 PM
Iokua posted...
Shame they don't do console design, online, and third party relations better than Sony.

sick burn bro
---
Currently playing: I don't know yet :(
#5EvilcrachittPosted 8/12/2014 2:12:03 PM
iKhanic posted...
The Tomorrow Children

I just looked that up. It looks like Communist dolls are fighting off Godzilla monsters
---
"You can't be racist against whites because they're in power/have privilege."
-Killua553
#6iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 8/12/2014 2:18:26 PM
Quesker posted...
I guess since they're not exactly common material to get used to, especially Tearaway, since real life paper aesthetics (as in, not something like Paper Mario)...haven't exactly been done before, and thus people aren't as comfortable. Similar deal with LittleBigPlanet, although I don't think the hate is quite as, for a lack of better word unfortunately, "valid" in this instance. What's especially not "valid" is for The Tomorrow Children, since from what I can tell from the trailer, the "ugly" artstyle is the whole point. It's hard to explain in words, but you'll probably know what I'm talking about hopefully.

Still, I personally wouldn't call them ugly, per say, especially for LBP.

I don't think trying to send a message justifies a game looking ugly. It can look nice, but still convey a certain tone or message.
---
"Well, they sure don't make evil immortal sorcerers like they used to." - Klarion the Witch Boy
#7Bat178Posted 8/12/2014 2:18:47 PM
Sly: Thieves in Time was good.
---
Awww, isn't that cute? He thinks he can beat me!
#8Lefty128kPosted 8/12/2014 2:24:19 PM(edited)
I can't think of a single Nintendo game with as much credit for artistic expression as Flower, Flow, and Journey.
#9DiscostewSMPosted 8/12/2014 2:25:06 PM
Iokua posted...

What matters to a business is to make money.
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#10AhnoldDoodPosted 8/12/2014 2:26:13 PM
Iokua posted...

Notice how he didn't name games.

No, clearly the OS and some other games he failed to mention matters more.

But hey, you gotta pay for online! That works, right?
---
http://jp7.r0tt.com/l_b29b5cc0-d1af-11e1-a806-4f908e000007.jpg