Nintendo does stylized art styles MUCH better than Sony

#11iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 8/12/2014 2:29:47 PM(edited)
Lefty128k posted...
I can't think of a single Nintendo game with as much credit for artistic expression as Flower, Flow, and Journey.

Last time I checked, none of those were Sony 1st party titles.

Journey definitely doesn't look bad, but I never understood why people thought it looked so beautiful. It looks more bland and monochromatic for my taste. Rime looks far better.

I will give Sony credit where it's due. Ico looks beautiful.
---
"Well, they sure don't make evil immortal sorcerers like they used to." - Klarion the Witch Boy
#12Flare7Posted 8/12/2014 2:34:20 PM
iKhanic posted...
Lefty128k posted...
I can't think of a single Nintendo game with as much credit for artistic expression as Flower, Flow, and Journey.

Last time I checked, none of those were Sony 1st party titles.

Journey definitely doesn't look bad, but I never understood why people thought it looked so beautiful. It looks more bland and monochromatic for my taste. Rime looks far better.

I will give Sony credit where it's due. Ico looks beautiful.

Also, last time I checked, those are only games in the most literal sense.
---
Currently playing: I don't know yet :(
#13ElectricMolePosted 8/12/2014 2:34:54 PM
I partially agree. Sony USA and EU designs are ugly for the most part.

BUT Sony Japan stuff is really great. Piposaru/Ape Escape, Toro & Kuro, Gravity Rush, LocoRoco, Papapon, Puppeteer, Boku no Natsuyasumi, Piyotama

i think its just a statement that Japanese artists create more appealing art style than western artists.
---
NinNetID: ElectricMole, 3DS: 2406-6466-8802
http://psnprofiles.com/kronekodow7188, Live:RichiJihen
#14NovaLevossidaPosted 8/12/2014 2:36:36 PM
In terms of aesthetics, I don't think anything Nintendo has done comes close to Little Big Planet. In terms of games themselves, I don't buy nor play for aesthetics, so it largely doesn't matter to me one way or the other.
---
The HUD...
...placed conveniently on the Wii U gamepad. - TreeFall Studios on The Letter
#15kaliskonigPosted 8/12/2014 2:37:49 PM
Iokua posted...
Shame they don't do console design, online, and third party relations better than Sony.

You know, things that actually matter.

Or you could stick to the topic at hand?

I am disappointed with the looks of Tearaway and LBP3 on PS4. Yarn Yoshi and Kirby look better than those in style that is for sure.
---
UPDATED 7/19/14 Smash 4 DREAM Roster: http://imgur.com/X7PeQga
Told You Robin Would Make It!!!
#16Wii_TruthPosted 8/12/2014 2:40:01 PM
Iokua posted...
Shame they don't do console design, online, and third party relations better than Sony.

You know, things that actually matter.

Art style doesn't matter? Nintendo free online>PS Plus with the lack of dedicated servers too. You might be correct on console design if you are talking about performance and ease of development, although Wii U is much more aesthetically pleasing.
#17Tenchi UKPosted 8/12/2014 2:43:04 PM
aren't the games in the topic title MADE by sumo digital,media molecule and Q-games respectively?
---
Pear into Peaches!
#18iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 8/12/2014 2:43:18 PM
NovaLevossida posted...
In terms of aesthetics, I don't think anything Nintendo has done comes close to Little Big Planet. In terms of games themselves, I don't buy nor play for aesthetics, so it largely doesn't matter to me one way or the other.

Little Big Planet looks like someone vomited a bunch of scrap materials onto a screen.

Aesthetics are a HUGE part of a game, as the establish the tone and atmosphere of what you are doing. Unless you are playing a purely gameplay focused game like Tetris, Pac-Man, or 2D Mario, aesthetics really matter.
---
"Well, they sure don't make evil immortal sorcerers like they used to." - Klarion the Witch Boy
#19iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 8/12/2014 2:43:36 PM
Tenchi UK posted...
aren't the games in the topic title MADE by sumo digital,media molecule and Q-games respectively?

All owned by Sony I believe.
---
#20NovaLevossidaPosted 8/12/2014 2:46:14 PM
iKhanic posted...
NovaLevossida posted...

Little Big Planet looks like someone vomited a bunch of scrap materials onto a screen.

Aesthetics are a HUGE part of a game, as the establish the tone and atmosphere of what you are doing. Unless you are playing a purely gameplay focused game like Tetris, Pac-Man, or 2D Mario, aesthetics really matter.

As I said, I don't base purchases on aesthetics. They can be important, but I'm not snatching up Yarn Yoshi or Wooly Whatever or Paper Mario or anything else just because they did something different graphically. The game underneath has to interest me, and in the cases of those, it doesn't.
---
The HUD...
...placed conveniently on the Wii U gamepad. - TreeFall Studios on The Letter