Nintendo does stylized art styles MUCH better than Sony

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Nintendo does stylized art styles MUCH better than Sony
1 year ago#31
AhnoldDood posted...
SSJ4CHRIS posted...
Nintendo is losing that too. Hell, even Sony made a profit.

They may have lost 6 billion over the years and if Nintendo's money can fight it'd be kicking Sony's ass, but hey, small steps.

Crawl before you walk and all that mess.
1 year ago#32
Quesker posted...
iKhanic posted...
Quesker posted...
I guess since they're not exactly common material to get used to, especially Tearaway, since real life paper aesthetics (as in, not something like Paper Mario)...haven't exactly been done before, and thus people aren't as comfortable. Similar deal with LittleBigPlanet, although I don't think the hate is quite as, for a lack of better word unfortunately, "valid" in this instance. What's especially not "valid" is for The Tomorrow Children, since from what I can tell from the trailer, the "ugly" artstyle is the whole point. It's hard to explain in words, but you'll probably know what I'm talking about hopefully.

Still, I personally wouldn't call them ugly, per say, especially for LBP.

I don't think trying to send a message justifies a game looking ugly. It can look nice, but still convey a certain tone or message.

Depending on what you're going for, it kind of does justify it. If it looks off, perhaps they're trying to say something through that off-ness? That's what I get from this trailer, anyhow.

Maybe it's just me, but I usually just see art at purely the level of how visually pleasing it is. I have a much more deep understanding of music and wound.
---
"Well, they sure don't make evil immortal sorcerers like they used to." - Klarion the Witch Boy
1 year ago#33
I'll say I prefer Nintendo's art styles since they have a more kiddy and colorful flair to them, but I say that as an opinion rather than a statement on which is "better" in an objective sense. I don't know anything about art, I don't know how to judge it.
1 year ago#34
No they don't. End.
---
Currently Playing- Mercenary Kings- PS4, DBZ Budokai 3 HD- PS3, Forza 5- X1.
Currently Awaiting- Destiny- PS4, Diablo 3- PS4, Forza Horizon 2- X1.
1 year ago#35
iKhanic posted...
Quesker posted...
iKhanic posted...
Quesker posted...
I guess since they're not exactly common material to get used to, especially Tearaway, since real life paper aesthetics (as in, not something like Paper Mario)...haven't exactly been done before, and thus people aren't as comfortable. Similar deal with LittleBigPlanet, although I don't think the hate is quite as, for a lack of better word unfortunately, "valid" in this instance. What's especially not "valid" is for The Tomorrow Children, since from what I can tell from the trailer, the "ugly" artstyle is the whole point. It's hard to explain in words, but you'll probably know what I'm talking about hopefully.

Still, I personally wouldn't call them ugly, per say, especially for LBP.

I don't think trying to send a message justifies a game looking ugly. It can look nice, but still convey a certain tone or message.

Depending on what you're going for, it kind of does justify it. If it looks off, perhaps they're trying to say something through that off-ness? That's what I get from this trailer, anyhow.

Maybe it's just me, but I usually just see art at purely the level of how visually pleasing it is. I have a much more deep understanding of music and wound.

It probably isn't just you, as it's very possible that can happen, but it would be beneficial to gain some sort of...training, learning, whatever the proper word is, to see that kind of art at a whole new level.
---
7 is good. I swear the school's 75-100 grading scale has ruined peoples perception of things.
-MillionGunmannn
1 year ago#36
iKhanic posted...
Lefty128k posted...
I can't think of a single Nintendo game with as much credit for artistic expression as Flower, Flow, and Journey.

Last time I checked, none of those were Sony 1st party titles.

Journey definitely doesn't look bad, but I never understood why people thought it looked so beautiful. It looks more bland and monochromatic for my taste. Rime looks far better.

I will give Sony credit where it's due. Ico looks beautiful.

They are second party collaborations, which wouldn't exist without Sony's help.
1 year ago#37
orcus_snake posted...
Tearaway ugly?

What the heck are you somking, that **** was majestic.

And brilliantly entertaining.
1 year ago#38
Lefty128k posted...
iKhanic posted...
Lefty128k posted...
I can't think of a single Nintendo game with as much credit for artistic expression as Flower, Flow, and Journey.

Journey definitely doesn't look bad, but I never understood why people thought it looked so beautiful. It looks more bland and monochromatic for my taste. Rime looks far better.

But they aren't what I'm talking about in this topic.
---
"Well, they sure don't make evil immortal sorcerers like they used to." - Klarion the Witch Boy
1 year ago#39
Lefty128k posted...

Well, those 3 aren't games. I personally didn't like those 3 because they weren't games, they were trying to be art instead.

The topic is about games that have a good art style, not art that tries to pass as a game.
---
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198023511833
3DS FC: 5026-4428-6076
1 year ago#40
iKhanic posted...
Lefty128k posted...
iKhanic posted...
Lefty128k posted...

But they aren't what I'm talking about in this topic.

Don't worry about him. He does this all the time.
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Nintendo does stylized art styles MUCH better than Sony

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived