Nintendo does stylized art styles MUCH better than Sony

#41Lefty128kPosted 8/12/2014 5:58:47 PM
iKhanic posted...
Lefty128k posted...
iKhanic posted...
Lefty128k posted...
I can't think of a single Nintendo game with as much credit for artistic expression as Flower, Flow, and Journey.

Last time I checked, none of those were Sony 1st party titles.

Journey definitely doesn't look bad, but I never understood why people thought it looked so beautiful. It looks more bland and monochromatic for my taste. Rime looks far better.

I will give Sony credit where it's due. Ico looks beautiful.

They are second party collaborations, which wouldn't exist without Sony's help.

But they aren't what I'm talking about in this topic.

Yeah, I suppose games that get BAFTA awards for their artistic merits aren't what you want to discuss in a topic about art style.

Or maybe you just don't want to discuss them because Nintendo doesn't have anything like them, and can't compete on that stage.
#42iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 8/12/2014 6:00:32 PM
Lefty128k posted...
iKhanic posted...
Lefty128k posted...
iKhanic posted...
Lefty128k posted...
I can't think of a single Nintendo game with as much credit for artistic expression as Flower, Flow, and Journey.

Last time I checked, none of those were Sony 1st party titles.

Journey definitely doesn't look bad, but I never understood why people thought it looked so beautiful. It looks more bland and monochromatic for my taste. Rime looks far better.

I will give Sony credit where it's due. Ico looks beautiful.

They are second party collaborations, which wouldn't exist without Sony's help.

But they aren't what I'm talking about in this topic.

Yeah, I suppose games that get BAFTA awards for their artistic merits aren't what you want to discuss in a topic about art style.

Or maybe you just don't want to discuss them because Nintendo doesn't have anything like them, and can't compete on that stage.

No. I'm comparing the art styles of Nintendo and Sony. NOT 3rd parties or 2nd party partners.
---
"Well, they sure don't make evil immortal sorcerers like they used to." - Klarion the Witch Boy
#43NintendoLover25Posted 8/12/2014 6:02:09 PM
RoyMaster4 posted...
Lefty128k posted...

Well, those 3 aren't games. I personally didn't like those 3 because they weren't games, they were trying to be art instead.

The topic is about games that have a good art style, not art that tries to pass as a game.

How are they not games? I never played them since I don't have the system they are on but from what I've seen, you use a controller and interact with what's happening on-screen like any other game.
#44Kageblade23Posted 8/12/2014 6:05:20 PM
Tenchi UK posted...
iKhanic posted...
Tenchi UK posted...
aren't the games in the topic title MADE by sumo digital,media molecule and Q-games respectively?

All owned by Sony I believe.

sumo digital did the sonic racing game iirc.

i think the difference behind being owned by sony is that all 3 games are from vastly different studios where nintendo has fewer teams from what i remember and are all part of the same company.

an example would be team ninja (dead or alive, metroid other M etc) and gust (Atelier series) are all under tecmo koei but both teams games are vastly different in style.

also
Q-Games developes for both nintendo and sony they did the xmb and music and background visualizers for the ps3 their credit is in the about section on the ps3 they also did the remake for starfox 64 they are developing nom nom galaxy supposedly for windows pc mac os x and linux os including the vita they also did some dsiware for nintendo...

sumo digital develops for microsoft sony and nintendo
LBP for sony
Forza Horizon 2 for microsoft
moshi monsters for ninty
they also did sonic all-stars racing transformed which was a multiplat... if im not mistaken sumo digital is owned privately by whom im not 100% they are affiliated with screen yorkshire game republic otherwise i dont know who owns them

media molecule on the other hand is a subsidary of SCE
they are a british video game developer so i assume SCE UK has their rights
---
3DSFC:1521-2934-6738, PSN(PS3/Vita):KagE_BLadE23, GT(360):KaGEBlade23
#45ponypower666Posted 8/12/2014 6:05:23 PM
Lefty128k posted...

None of those are sony games.
#46iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 8/12/2014 6:21:07 PM
Kageblade23 posted...
Tenchi UK posted...
iKhanic posted...
Tenchi UK posted...
aren't the games in the topic title MADE by sumo digital,media molecule and Q-games respectively?

All owned by Sony I believe.

sumo digital did the sonic racing game iirc.

i think the difference behind being owned by sony is that all 3 games are from vastly different studios where nintendo has fewer teams from what i remember and are all part of the same company.

an example would be team ninja (dead or alive, metroid other M etc) and gust (Atelier series) are all under tecmo koei but both teams games are vastly different in style.

also
Q-Games developes for both nintendo and sony they did the xmb and music and background visualizers for the ps3 their credit is in the about section on the ps3 they also did the remake for starfox 64 they are developing nom nom galaxy supposedly for windows pc mac os x and linux os including the vita they also did some dsiware for nintendo...

sumo digital develops for microsoft sony and nintendo
LBP for sony
Forza Horizon 2 for microsoft
moshi monsters for ninty
they also did sonic all-stars racing transformed which was a multiplat... if im not mistaken sumo digital is owned privately by whom im not 100% they are affiliated with screen yorkshire game republic otherwise i dont know who owns them

media molecule on the other hand is a subsidary of SCE
they are a british video game developer so i assume SCE UK has their rights

I guess I was wrong in that regard, but SCE Japan is also working on Tomorrow's Children, and Media Molecule made the first LBP and Tearaway.
---
"Well, they sure don't make evil immortal sorcerers like they used to." - Klarion the Witch Boy
#47PS4WarriorPosted 8/12/2014 6:23:23 PM
Sony's new Rime game looks great

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/08/12/ps4-exclusive-rimes-new-trailer-features-beautiful-open-world-gameplay/
#48singhellotakuPosted 8/12/2014 6:27:15 PM
Iokua posted...
Shame they don't do console design, online, and third party relations better than Sony.

You know, things that actually matter.

This

But yeah, of course nintendo's art is better
---
Humanity as a whole gets dumber every time you write sonypony nintendrone or xbot...and weeaboo...I mean, honestly people.
#49TheTitan99Posted 8/12/2014 6:49:50 PM
Well, yeah. Wind Waker looks awesome and so does the newly announced Legend of Zelda. I'm not interested in Yarn Yoshi, but even I can admit it looks fantastic. And Paper Mario, dear god. I want a new Paper Mario on Wii U because it will look so great.
---
Now make some chicken!
#50cris1ussenPosted 8/12/2014 7:49:53 PM
Well to be fair at least Sony try to create new art styles for their games or new IP

Nintendo just re-use their art style over and over and over and over again..., don't get me wrong i like it but sometimes it would be nice a change but sadly the people/fans will complain... (in a example I love the "Toon" change in Zelda Wind Waker but apparently everyone in the world hated it...)
---
3DS Code: 1547-5436-7425, Name: Javier
AC:NL Dream Code: 4800-2167-4480