Do YOU think the Wii U gamepad is a "good" controller?

#21iKhanicPosted 8/13/2014 10:57:00 AM
If by "good" you mean decent but way too expensive for what it offers, then yes
---
"Well, they sure don't make evil immortal sorcerers like they used to." - Klarion the Witch Boy
#22sh0wnuf(Topic Creator)Posted 8/13/2014 11:13:40 AM
iKhanic posted...

I meant in relation to the other controllers out there... I hesitated with specifying comfort only and dismissing the touch screen entirely since that wouldn't be fair- but with including that, battery life and lack of range also play into the cons.

ok how's this: pick a third party title that would come out for multiple systems that you'd be interested in playing... let's say it comes out for every console and looks identical since the developer decides to simply port the least resource required version... To further simplify it, lets say they all play similarly button wise, and the only use of the screen is for an in game map that would otherwise be in the corner of your screen. Which system one would you chose to play it on?

Id assume with all other factors being pretty much equal, the system you chose would be based entirely on controller.
#23iKhanicPosted 8/13/2014 11:19:43 AM
sh0wnuf posted...
iKhanic posted...

I meant in relation to the other controllers out there... I hesitated with specifying comfort only and dismissing the touch screen entirely since that wouldn't be fair- but with including that, battery life and lack of range also play into the cons.

ok how's this: pick a third party title that would come out for multiple systems that you'd be interested in playing... let's say it comes out for every console and looks identical since the developer decides to simply port the least resource required version... To further simplify it, lets say they all play similarly button wise, and the only use of the screen is for an in game map that would otherwise be in the corner of your screen. Which system one would you chose to play it on?

Id assume with all other factors being pretty much equal, the system you chose would be based entirely on controller.

Oh, then I'd put the Gamepad probably in 4th place after the Dualshock 4, GCN Controller, and Wii Remote+Nunchuck
---
"Well, they sure don't make evil immortal sorcerers like they used to." - Klarion the Witch Boy
#24kissdadookiePosted 8/13/2014 11:28:09 AM(edited)
Baha05 posted...

Problem is having to download and use the phone/tablet apps and then bothering to use your phone for it, thus really killing off the battery to use some app. Also facts, you need them before making a claim about gamers not having said issues.

What kind of nonsensical argument you've just made. You're playing your console at home yes? Likely you have a charger nearby for you tablet/phone. On top of that, the battery life on your device is going to last a heck of a lot longer (roughly 3 x's as long) than the GamePad. Also, downloading apps is a hassle to you? What backwards time do you live in? It's currently the age where we have more apps on our devices than we know what to do with, downloading an app is not a hassle. On top of that, the MS SmartGlass app pretty much eliminates the need to download separate apps for each game.

Wow, often times you make somewhat decent arguments, but this time you are clearly grasping at straws.

Also, where do you think Nintendo came up with the idea of a second screen experience? Majority of people these days are essentially watching TV whilst using there tablet/phone. It's commonplace yet you are somehow trying to imply as if this is not commonplace and would be a hassle for people and thus the GamePad idea is better? LOL.
#25SuigintouEVPosted 8/13/2014 11:28:09 AM
it's a good and comfortable controller, but

- the PQ and resolution are pretty crap IMO
- play something intense like MK8 too long and my hand starts cramping up
- battery life could be longer IMO
- I wish the triggers were analog (dumb move nintendo)
- I wish the buttons were easier to "feel" out like the Gamecube controller
- the firmware needs to fix Wii mode compatibility. There's no reason it shouldn't double as a classic controller pro and allow for off-TV wii mode play
---
Hissatsu!!! Burst Spinning Giga Plasma Marble Screw Drill Maximum Tempest Break Punch - Pretty Arcshin Gurren Robo II
#26CubeTVPosted 8/14/2014 3:45:54 PM
SuigintouEV posted...
- the firmware needs to fix Wii mode compatibility. There's no reason it shouldn't double as a classic controller pro and allow for off-TV wii mode play

This is all I really want out of it. At least with the Pro Controller considering that it is classified as a original Wii item for the Wii U Menu. Would actually be able to use the Wii Menu.
---
Owner of: Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo GameCube, N64, Gameboy Advance and a PS1.
Want: A better computer, a PS3 and a new PSP. Don't like the PS2 & Wii
#27Jason Hart MaiviaPosted 8/14/2014 6:17:47 PM
My only problem with the Gamepad are the placements of the L, R, ZL, and ZR buttons. They're hard to use if your thumbs are placed on the d-pade and a,b,x, and y buttons. It gives me the bad feeling of using the Z button on the Gamecube controllers.
---
Praise Rainbow Mika
NNID: JasonMaivia ; Samurai Warriors 3 (Wii): 0346-6035-0276
#28SyCo_VeNoMPosted 8/14/2014 6:57:54 PM
sh0wnuf posted...
I wonder how many Wii U Gamepad votes would change if it was just about comfort... regardless, I have a pro controller which eliminates the gamepad's clunkiness for system play- but admittedly I've gotten used to the gamepad (based on necessity)

What I based my yes vote on as I find its the most comfortable controller I've used in ages.

Xbox 360 controller using the right analog hurts my thumbs joint from stretching it the same way pressing the Y button on the Wii U pro does.
#29sonicsonicPosted 8/14/2014 7:04:18 PM
I love it. Great piece of kit. Off-TV play, internet browsing and Miiverse are enough to sell me on the idea even though most games lack sufficient support.
---
3DS FC:0688-5946-1084 Pokemon TSV-4026 IGN: Jack
NNID:SuperSegaSonic PSN:Sonicsuper1