Whats it like owning a wii u?

#1golden85354Posted 8/13/2014 7:48:42 PM
ive been trying to get my hands on one. whats it like having it? is it really as bad as ive been hearing?
#2R_HunterPosted 8/13/2014 7:51:08 PM
No, but you know internet negativity.

What games are you looking into?
#3metroid02Posted 8/13/2014 8:04:42 PM
Seeing as I owned one since day one I can only really speak for myself so here it goes:

All in all, its a mixed bag of emotions. The first 2 months or so it was just a phenomenal system with some really cool games but eventually the joy of playing NSMBU and ZombiU ran out, sure the system launched with many more games none of them really interested me or I had already owned them on another console (PS3 or PC). After Monster Hunter 3 couldnt failed to really grab my attention and the system wouldve gathered dust if it werent for my new copy of the Metroid Prime Trilogy. Still, until Pikmin came out it was a pretty huge let down. Ever since 3D World has been out things have been getting more and more interesting to me and its also given the games some time to reduce their prices (last year the finances have been pretty tight). And finally once DKCTF and MK8 came out ive been playing this system non stop, I just got Wonderful 101 through the promotion as well and I gota say, its been awesome!

Looking into the future things look good, especially with Bayonetta 1+2 coming out soon.

As for whether the console is bad or not: I actually think its incredibly well designed and one thing I have been noticing is that Nintendo games (at least the first party ones and those that you could consider second party) have been running super smooth with rock solid framerates (this is crucial for games like Rayman Legends, the Mario games, Mario Kart and Wonderful 101). At least in comparison to the other platforms. I honestly wouldnt pay too much attention to those who dismiss the console right away. Its got its flaws (antiquated online play/store/account system and old hardware) but it uses what it has to a great extent and has some fantastic games both already released and upcoming.

Tldr: The Wii Us journey has been a rocky one so far, but things are looking up for this wonderfully delightful console. At least in my opinion.
---
"Crysis missed the mark visually. I mean come on, there is an island full of Koreans, but NONE of them are playing Starcraft???" -themerchant8
#4ToozinPosted 8/13/2014 8:06:08 PM
It's like warm apple pie.
---
http://www.gamelogs.org/gamelog/Toozin.html
#5CubeTVPosted 8/13/2014 8:15:06 PM
It's a pretty mixed bag. I like the gamepad but hate how you're required to own a Wii remote to play some games. I still like the VC but hate how the entire Wii VC isn't ported over (like DSiWare did on the 3DS), I love Mario Kart 8 but feel like that's the only game to wow me since 3D World (another Mario). I like the OS but hate all the missing features that should be there like on the 3DS/Wii (Simple messaging, zoom in/out, ect).
---
Owner of: Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo GameCube, N64, Gameboy Advance and a PS1.
Want: A better computer, a PS3 and a new PSP. Don't like the PS2 & Wii
#6SPEORPosted 8/13/2014 8:31:23 PM
Owned it for 13 months and it is collecting dust at tye moment :/. It won't when SMTxFE or Zelda U comes out, though.
---
Currently replaying: Mother 2, Persona 3 Portable, and Shin Megami Tensei IV
#7mewmew42Posted 8/13/2014 8:39:43 PM
If it's you're 1st ever Nintendo console, be prepared for a novel,fun & innovative experience

They offer extremely unique games not offered by AAA franchises assassin creeds, battlefield, EA & ubisoft can offer

If you did not own an old wii be preapared for a massive gaming library due to backwards compatibility not available on ps4 & xbox1

I bought a wii U in anticipation of xenoblade chronicles X and new legend of zelda U

Currently playing old wii bc xenoblade chronicles and monster hunter 3 ultimate

Backlog includes mario 3d world, pikmin 3 and mario kart 8

Am enjoying my wii U more than my ps4
#8kobalobasileusPosted 8/13/2014 10:32:10 PM
It's like owning a PS4 or XBONE, but with a slightly better library at the moment.
#9SetzeraPosted 8/13/2014 11:19:38 PM
Short answer: I find myself still wanting my PC and PS4, but not being able to part with the Wii U.

Long answer: The Wii U is a great system, but the games are what you should be most interested in. I'm really enjoying the new Mario games, Sport Club Bowling, and Monster Hunter 3U. But since my interests also involve strategy, sport sims, shooters, and some other things that Wii U doesn't have, I'm in the boat where I own multiple things.

Nintendo has some really great games for the Wii U, but it's up to each person whether it's enough or not. I can almost guarantee though, the Wii U is a great companion system, if you're in the market for 2+ platforms. Though owning it as the only console, is rarer, but still do-able.
---
| AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 ghz | MSI 970A-G46 | MSI HD 7870 2GB | 8GB 1600 DDR3 | 650W Corsair | Win7 64bit | 1TB WD Blue | CM 912 HAF |
#10BrianCraigSmithPosted 8/14/2014 5:19:28 AM
It's cool. My son loves it, family enjoys it, and I'm glad it wasn't a waste of money. However I do alternate playing time with the other systems I play like the PS3, Vita, 3DS XL, and retro games on PC.
---
PSN: Handsomistic1
NNID: Handsomistic15