Whats it like owning a wii u?

#11JobocanPosted 8/14/2014 6:31:38 AM
It's very different from owning the other current-gen consoles. I know because I also own a PS4.

It's like owning a console that actually has games out and more than 1 or 2 cool upcoming ones on the horizon. There's stuff to be excited about and that's fun.

On the opposite end, the PS4 is like owning a brick that does nothing in hopes that it actually transforms into something useful somewhere down the line... but it's the most advertised brick ever so people buy it even though it does nothing.
---
www.vgcollect.com/jobocan - My collection
#12Tenchi UKPosted 8/14/2014 6:39:55 AM
CubeTV posted...
It's a pretty mixed bag. I like the gamepad but hate how you're required to own a Wii remote to play some games. I still like the VC but hate how the entire Wii VC isn't ported over (like DSiWare did on the 3DS), I love Mario Kart 8 but feel like that's the only game to wow me since 3D World (another Mario). I like the OS but hate all the missing features that should be there like on the 3DS/Wii (Simple messaging, zoom in/out, ect).

i feel pretty much all of these things.

though i do feel like as a system, bar some features lacking, it does feel like a large improvement over the wii.

its also handy that it uses hdmi since i really hate component cables.
---
Pear into Peaches!
#13Flame552Posted 8/14/2014 6:40:48 AM
golden85354 posted...
ive been trying to get my hands on one. whats it like having it? is it really as bad as ive been hearing?

That depends on what you've been hearing.

I'll give my own perspective, as there seems to be a lot of Day One-ers who've answered so far.

I've had the Wii U since the beginning of June, got myself the Mario Kart 8 bundle. Then I used the club nintendo promotion to get myself a free digital copy of Pikmin 3. Plenty of stuff to play, the gamepad was hilariously useful right out of the box. I played online with a friend on the other side of the country, and had the system installing and everything on the gamepad while I was watching the Stanley Cup on the television. Truthfully, it's the gamepad that's time and again won me over to the system.

Then E3 came around two weeks later and Nintendo threw amazing looking Wii U games after amazing looking Wii U games at the viewers for three days straight, then put a 30% off sale on their eshop games. I grabbed Wind Waker HD.

I got to download the NES Remix games which are a blast, as is the recently released Shovel Knight.

This isn't exclusive to the Wii U, but I've got Amazon Prime and can just use Amazon Video off the Wii U to watch my shows instead of connecting my computer.

Essentially, this is the best time to be getting a Wii U. The products on the immediate horizon are vast, and you don't get the mixed-bag emotions of having had the system before it started running when Mario Kart 8 came out.

Now, some cons.
- 32 gb fills up fast. Too fast for a company pushing their digital eshop as much as they have been. It won't be bad for afew months, but if you're buying digital retail games, you'll probably have to look into an external hard drive to attach.
- Cannot play DVDs (Xbox) or Bluray (PS4), but has access to all the same streaming services (Amazon Prime, hulu, netflix, crunchyroll, etc)
#14Neonwarrior1243Posted 8/14/2014 7:06:03 AM(edited)
I bought mine for 200$ new even though it sits a lot not being played whenever a game does come out it's fun to play, the good thing is I own most of the other consoles and a Gaming PC so all the dry spells don't bother me.

Edit: Also if you never owned a Wii it can play Wii games which also has some fun games.
#15Golden_MeanPosted 8/14/2014 7:00:11 AM
In a nutshell: It's magical every time you play it, for few times that you do.
---
Arguing with other internet users is only just marginally more productive than counting the number of ants on your lawn.~PSN: Kikkosauce66 ~NNID: Rontuaru
#16Gamer546Posted 8/14/2014 7:02:49 AM
The system has plenty of games and has many games coming in the rest of this year and 2015. I would definitely pick one up now if I didn't already have one.
---
The ghost train is coming kiddies... Listen to its scream...
#17HeroC114Posted 8/14/2014 7:35:52 AM
It kind of feels like opening a portal to a whole world of fun. Maybe like going to Disney Land every time you turn on the system, with so many theme park attractions.

Then new attractions get added every couple of months, but they are awesome, and going back to the old ones is still a great time if you give it enough time.

I personally can't wait to get Hyrule Warriors and Bayonetta 2. Smash can wait, especially when I have the former two. Now that I may be working again, I'll consider Captain Toad, but it won't be likely due to not having enough time to play.
---
Xbox Live GT: Hero C
NNID: HeroC114
#18Legend053180Posted 8/14/2014 7:40:58 AM
Toozin posted...
It's like warm apple pie.

First thing I thought of. What's wrong with us?