I would like an opinion on Nintendo first party games often lacking online play.

#1m0986-8Posted 8/13/2014 10:28:19 PM
80/80 cause why not....

Anyways as we know Nintendo is basically the only company that does not give online play to many of their first party titles and with little 3rd party support it seems like not many games have online at all. But one thing they do have is local multiplayer.

Because of this it allows gamers to get together and play a video game face to face where on the other consoles and PC you are usually always playing online multiplayer.

What do you think of Nintendo's decision to focus multiplayer around having people around in person to play?

I personally think it is a great thing. I have developed many fond memories of getting friends together on friday night and getting a pizza while playing some 3D World and other games. It is an overall better experience than being alone in a room and talking to friends online. That said when I do want to game online I hop on my PC. But yeah I wanted your opinion on this.
---
3DS FC: 0344-9282-6531
AMD Athlon II Quad Core 3.0GHZ | HD 5770 | 4GB RAM
#2Luigi4PresidentPosted 8/13/2014 10:46:36 PM
I like their approach. You're right- it's a different feeling actually hanging out with friends, and so many games have online play already so it's not like you're missing out on an opportunity to play online if you really wanted to. Granted it won't be the same game, and that says something about Nintendo. People like their games so much they want the additional option of online. Honestly it doesn't matter too much because I do local.
---
The washer fluid is not fine!
#3Baha05Posted 8/13/2014 10:47:55 PM
I think for a few of the games it's just a matter of the kind of game and the fact that adding an online mode might hurt more for that kind of game, excluding Pikmin 3 because that game needed an online mode.
---
""All of you that think Bayo in Peach's dress is the first game are either fools or really the most ignorant fanboys alive." SSJ4CHRIS
#4gamefreakz92Posted 8/13/2014 11:08:03 PM
Growing up in the N64 era, "couch co-op" is not only nostalgic, but it's what i know. One of the biggest draws for me to buy a Wii U was because it featured more local multiplayer games than the Xbone or PS4. It's a shame that most games on those systems don't feature local multiplayer like the good old days. Being an adult, it's expected that my friends should also have their own places and posses means of affording online and what not, but online gaming can't really replace the atmosphere of couch co-op gaming. Needless to say, I like Nintendo's approach just fine.

I think the lack of Nintendo's online services stems from them being old fashioned and family oriented. This is also truly their first console generation where online was truly viable. Another big thing, like Baha said, it depends on the game. Many of their games focus on single player, but setting up servers for DK: Tropical Freeze or others that feature seamless local co-op, isn't financially smart. MK8 makes sense, but there aren't too many others.

On the topic of online, I truly think its a bizarre thing, especially voice chatting with random people. Maybe I truly am just an anti-social individual, but the awkwardness of talking to a random while playing a game does nothing for me.
#5SetzeraPosted 8/13/2014 11:21:51 PM
I've always been a bigger fan of local co-op, than online. But it's weird when I find I crave online in some games on Wii U, like Mario. I can't complain though, because they finally brought online to Sport Club, which needed it.

Overall, I have very few complaints, and would rather see more local co-op in today's games. Hard to find that these days.
---
| AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 ghz | MSI 970A-G46 | MSI HD 7870 2GB | 8GB 1600 DDR3 | 650W Corsair | Win7 64bit | 1TB WD Blue | CM 912 HAF |
#6m0986-8(Topic Creator)Posted 8/13/2014 11:24:38 PM
gamefreakz92 posted...
Growing up in the N64 era, "couch co-op" is not only nostalgic, but it's what i know. One of the biggest draws for me to buy a Wii U was because it featured more local multiplayer games than the Xbone or PS4. It's a shame that most games on those systems don't feature local multiplayer like the good old days. Being an adult, it's expected that my friends should also have their own places and posses means of affording online and what not, but online gaming can't really replace the atmosphere of couch co-op gaming. Needless to say, I like Nintendo's approach just fine.

I think the lack of Nintendo's online services stems from them being old fashioned and family oriented. This is also truly their first console generation where online was truly viable. Another big thing, like Baha said, it depends on the game. Many of their games focus on single player, but setting up servers for DK: Tropical Freeze or others that feature seamless local co-op, isn't financially smart. MK8 makes sense, but there aren't too many others.

On the topic of online, I truly think its a bizarre thing, especially voice chatting with random people. Maybe I truly am just an anti-social individual, but the awkwardness of talking to a random while playing a game does nothing for me.

This right here.... because I am an adult my adult friends and I all function of different schedules making it hard to game online causing me to play with strangers and talk to them. But we ALWAYS set aside a friday night every now and then and get together with a pizza and play some games. It truly is a great experience when compared to talking on a mic whether it is a friend or stranger.
---
3DS FC: 0344-9282-6531
AMD Athlon II Quad Core 3.0GHZ | HD 5770 | 4GB RAM
#7DiscostewSMPosted 8/13/2014 11:28:02 PM
Baha05 posted...
I think for a few of the games it's just a matter of the kind of game and the fact that adding an online mode might hurt more for that kind of game, excluding Pikmin 3 because that game needed an online mode.

They were attempting online with it during development, but the structure of their design, according to them, would have affected the single-player portion negatively, so they ended up tossing online out.
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#8fuzi11Posted 8/14/2014 1:43:24 AM
I don't play games online, and I find an added online multiplayer option for single player games stupid (I look at you Tomb Raider and Assassin's Creed).

And I don't understand online modes for fighting games, those games can never have the precission they need. At least this is my experience.

But I would love to have online multiplayer for Pikmin 3. I recently visited a friend (he lives 6 hours away, so I will probably never visit him again XD) and played Pikmin 3 the very first time (a game I owned but never played till then). We played mission mode and it was amazing. I wish we could play it again. But alas it is not meant to be.
#9Dark_Link92Posted 8/14/2014 1:47:38 AM(edited)
I grew up playing Mario Party with all the kids on my road too, but that doesn't nostalgia blind me enough to ignore that Nintendo need to embrace online more. I think they're just reluctant to spend the money.
---
2/8/2014- I officially predict Ridley playable in Smash 4. If he's not, I'll quietly change my signature and no one needs to remind me of this ever again.
#10vermilion99Posted 8/14/2014 4:43:04 AM
Why not have both?

Local multiplayer is great. Nothing beats sitting in the same room with friends and playing a game, no doubt. However, and this is where Nintendo fans show their age, when you get out into the real world it isn't as easy to get together to play a game. Friends move. Your job takes up the majority of your week. You tend to go out and do things more then getting together to play video games.

This is Nintendos problem. They still cater to the younger generation instead of catering to both. If your game is built with multiplayer in mind, why not have online play? I know if your younger you aren't going to understand. I used to think school sucked and never had time to do what I wanted. Now I think back to me and my buddies pulling all nighters on Goldeneye trying to unlock the cheats and playing death match and then falling asleep in class the next day. Great memories. Unfortunately after your teenage years things change and it would be nice to be able to connect with those same friends on a Nintendo game every so often. But unfortunately, Nintendo doesn't care.