Would like your opinion on 3rd party support

#1m0986-8Posted 8/13/2014 10:36:25 PM
What do you think is the cause of low 3rd party support on the Wii U? Is it the hardware? Is it Nintendo's image?

Something recently occurred to me and got me thinking. I usually buy a Nintendo system for Nintendo games. Whenever a 3rd party game I liked came out that is multiplatform I always chose to buy it for the system that would offer the best experience of that title. That being my PC. As a result my PS3 and Wii U only have exclusives for them.

That said what if more people were like me and kept buying the game on the system that has the better version of the game such as Call of Duty (hate the game but using it as an example). Why buy it on the Wii U when you can buy it on PS4, XONE, or PC? Of course this is entirely assuming that the person asking this has one of the systems previously listed. The sales of XONE, PS4, and PC do indicate they have a decent audience at the current moment.

Anyways assuming they chose to buy the games on the other systems that drops 3rd party sales on Wii U causing many developers to not make games for the system. Instead they focus on the other consoles as they would make more income that way.

What are your thoughts? Why do you think it has low 3rd party support?
---
3DS FC: 0344-9282-6531
AMD Athlon II Quad Core 3.0GHZ | HD 5770 | 4GB RAM
#2CubeTVPosted 8/13/2014 10:58:55 PM
The only third party games I really like are the general fighters (Street Fighter or VS Capcom), RPGs (any, preferrably turn based), anime stuff (Naruto/DBZ/One Piece), cartoon based (as long as their good like Spongebob), platformers (Sonic, Crash, Spyro, Banjo, ect. Anything), really, anything that's not sports (okay... One is good, two is okay but three+ is pushing it), first person shooters or uber realistic games.

A good example would be the GCN. Worst selling Nintendo system, considered "bad", had "bad" third party support. But to me, it had amazing support: Fighters (Capcom vs SNK, Bloody Roar, Godzilla Destroy All Monsters, a bloody Mortal effing Kombat, ect.), RPGs (Skies of Arcadia, Evolution Worlds, Lost Kingdoms, ect.), Anime stuff (Naruto GNT 4, Dragon Ball Z Budokai 2, One Piece Grand Adventure), Cartoon Based (5 Spongebob games, Samurai Jack), platformers (Every damn Sonic game besides Sonic Shuffle and Knuckles Chaotix was ported to it!, got Spyro/Crash on Nintendo,) and I'm sure there's more genres too. What classifies as a "Adventure" or "Action" game?

With the Wii U, it seems none of those genres I like are coming to it. No fighters (not even ports like Soul Calibur 2 HD), no anime stuff (besides One Piece... Which is also for 3DS), and uh... That's pretty much it?

Now that I think about it... All the "newer" games these days just tend to fall into realistic stuff. With it not coming to the Wii U, I feel a small lack of interest in researching it since I tend to only research games for systems I have/want or if its a new system I got (Dreamcase and the possible PS3 later this year) to see if it's good.

So yea, my general "boo Wii U" is more due to the system itself and my own lack of research, not the lack of games. Doesn't help all the games are trying to be hyper realistic and my monitor SUCKS at displaying realistic things.
---
Owner of: Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo GameCube, N64, Gameboy Advance and a PS1.
Want: A better computer, a PS3 and a new PSP. Don't like the PS2 & Wii
#3AstralFrostPosted 8/13/2014 11:59:08 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#4FullMetalPanicPosted 8/14/2014 4:53:20 AM
Wii U's poor sales.
---
[_NNID_] PowerBerry [_3DS_] Ciel [ 2062.9168.6736 ]
Now Playing: Super Mario 3D World
#5Ranmaru-2Posted 8/14/2014 4:59:42 AM
I think third parties just have a grudge against nintendo. I mean there's no other excuse for it at this point. Even 3rd party games that release on the ps3 and 360 are skipping the Wii U.
---
http://i.imgur.com/33jhTZk.jpg http://i.imgur.com/SuOwk.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/cbxTS.jpg http://i.imgur.com/LNSiX.jpg
#6Flame552Posted 8/14/2014 5:13:48 AM(edited)
It's overrated, mostly due to how blown out of proportion it is.

Nintendo is the only gaming company in the world like it. People buy Nintendo systems to play Nintendo games.

People by Xboxes and Playstations to play largely 3rd party games.

Now the question here is then, why is this?

I'd assert it's because Nintendo has as many divisions and departments making quality games as most large 3rd party companies.

The other two big names don't, and most likely, can't replicate that. When it comes down to it, the console wars are over. Sega went into software only and Nintendo won. What we have here is a gaming company (Nintendo) up against two conglomerates (Sony and Microsoft) where gaming is just a single division of a much larger corporation instead of it being at the very heart of the company.

Sony gets most of their money from their insurance department to help deal with the hemorrhaging their tv department has been in ever since box televisions were made obsolete, and Microsoft isn't trying to take down Sony or Nintendo with the Xbox; they're trying to take on Google and Apple via your living room.

They need 3rd party to survive.
Nintendo...well, doesn't. Or at the very least not as much by a pretty significant margin.

And that makes most 3rd party reps weary and hesitant. When they release a game on a Nintendo system, those 3rd party companies aren't just in competition with each other, they have to go up against Nintendo games. Unless you're Sonic the Hedgehog or Megaman (two IPs known for doing particularly well on Nintendo consoles), how many people are going to buy your multi-platform game for the Nintendo product over the latest Zelda or Pokemon during thee holiday season?

That said, the Wii never seemed to have much 3rd party support either, which I take as some slight evidence in my favor. The 3DS has plenty of 3rd party support, largely from companies that enjoyed the same success on the DS.
#7Oni_TaedoPosted 8/14/2014 5:28:54 AM
Flame552 posted...
It's overrated, mostly due to how blown out of proportion it is.

Nintendo is the only gaming company in the world like it. People buy Nintendo systems to play Nintendo games.

People by Xboxes and Playstations to play largely 3rd party games.

Now the question here is then, why is this?

I'd assert it's because Nintendo has as many divisions and departments making quality games as most large 3rd party companies.

The other two big names don't, and most likely, can't replicate that. When it comes down to it, the console wars are over. Sega went into software only and Nintendo won. What we have here is a gaming company (Nintendo) up against two conglomerates (Sony and Microsoft) where gaming is just a single division of a much larger corporation instead of it being at the very heart of the company.

Sony gets most of their money from their insurance department to help deal with the hemorrhaging their tv department has been in ever since box televisions were made obsolete, and Microsoft isn't trying to take down Sony or Nintendo with the Xbox; they're trying to take on Google and Apple via your living room.

They need 3rd party to survive.
Nintendo...well, doesn't. Or at the very least not as much by a pretty significant margin.

And that makes most 3rd party reps weary and hesitant. When they release a game on a Nintendo system, those 3rd party companies aren't just in competition with each other, they have to go up against Nintendo games. Unless you're Sonic the Hedgehog or Megaman (two IPs known for doing particularly well on Nintendo consoles), how many people are going to buy your multi-platform game for the Nintendo product over the latest Zelda or Pokemon during thee holiday season?

That said, the Wii never seemed to have much 3rd party support either, which I take as some slight evidence in my favor. The 3DS has plenty of 3rd party support, largely from companies that enjoyed the same success on the DS.

^This, is what I've been saying for years.

Mind you, that's not saying I don't WANT third parties. I would gladly put something like Assassin's Creed on the same shelf as Zelda, or Metroid Prime. Maybe if Ubisoft made one that was half as good as the WORST Zelda (which is OoT. And no, I'm NOT calling it a bad game. AC2 is an AMAZING game, and OoT is better than that. I'll give you a moment to take that in).

There's some third parties who's games I'd GLADLY buy on Wii U. Valve, Capcom (yes, they made RE6, and Lost Planet. They also did TvC and SSF4. Two DAMN good fighting games), Konami, Sega, EA Sports Fight Night team (the lack of a Wii U/PC version of EA Sports UFC is what kept me from buying it. Hell, even my idol being a playable character wasn't enough to earn them my dollar. EA has to make decisions around ME, I shouldn't make my decisions around them).
---
PSN ID: Oni_Ishida
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheVGViking
#8mashuPosted 8/14/2014 6:12:46 AM
Nintendo chose to be the only platform not running x86. It's not quite as powerful as the other two consoles and it doesn't have the same or similar infrastructure (online) either. Game development costs and timelines have skyrocketed with HD. It doesn't make any sense for them to do the work to make a Wii U version using different architecture, different optimization techniques, possibly different features etc, when they have sales data and budget considerations to look at that tell them its not likely to work in their favor. They are companies out to make a profit first and foremost. If the Wii U became the number one selling console they would change their focus, but when one development cycle with minor differences in the basics of the code can hit all or most of the PS4, XBOne, PC, PS3 and 360 the question answers itself.
#9Legend053180Posted 8/14/2014 6:38:38 AM
Short answer:
1. WiiU hasn't sold nearly enough consoles.
2. If WiiU consoles are a small percentage of the market, their software sales are a smaller percentage of that.
3. WiiU is underpowered compared to PS4 and XB1, and everyone knows it, so that cuts sales again.
4. Third parties don't make their money back so they don't bother.

It happened on Wii as well.
#10FayeLadyPosted 8/14/2014 6:44:50 AM
m0986-8 posted...
What do you think is the cause of low 3rd party support on the Wii U? Is it the hardware? Is it Nintendo's image?

Its a combination of all of these, but the bigger issue is consumer apathy. People who play the biggest 3rd party games like Minecraft, Call of Duty and Assasins Creed have very little issue with them not being on Wii U, and Wii U owners have very little issue not having access to those games(If they did, they would not be Wii U owners).

Lack of desire for games begets lack of availability of games which begets lack of viability for games.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.