Why is New Super Mario Bros so bland?

#1Lemon_MasterPosted 8/14/2014 5:42:07 PM
Is that the right word? No, I don't think it's "bland" really. Maybe repetitive?

Either way you've played one you've played them all. I have played Wii and U thus far, seen videos of the others, and I know a lot of people egg on them. The pre-64 Mario's were awesome so why is NSMB so... "Meh"? I think the art style is a problem for one.
#2Baha05Posted 8/14/2014 5:47:36 PM
I think it's the Music and the over use of the same Mario 3 like levels.
---
""All of you that think Bayo in Peach's dress is the first game are either fools or really the most ignorant fanboys alive." SSJ4CHRIS
#3sonic777Posted 8/14/2014 5:49:39 PM
I had to stop playing NSMBU at Soda Jungle. The entire thing was just hideously repetitive. I couldn't help thinking "I've done this too many times."
---
GameFAQs moderators be like "Report it and we'll handle it."
If you're going to lie, at least make it somewhat believable. :D
#4InninXIPosted 8/14/2014 5:51:05 PM
I think because the levels feel the same as the 2d mario games. Sure there are "new" gimmicks, but they play the same, and its repetitive
---
PSN: YoninXI 3DS FC:1161-1061-8447 GT: Andr0idXI
Forever Fat Princess
#5deathwave21Posted 8/14/2014 5:51:36 PM
Its the same repetitive soundtrack that plays from beginning to end for every game
---
Do you want to go to college for free? Go Marines!
#6The_Pig_HostagePosted 8/14/2014 5:52:26 PM
Because it lacks Rosalina.
#7Bat178Posted 8/14/2014 5:54:35 PM(edited)
At least with the 3D Mario games they all feel different (Except maybe Galaxy 2). Every NSMB game feels the exact same, just with edited levels and bosses.
---
Awww, isn't that cute? He thinks he can beat me!
#8SonytendoPosted 8/14/2014 5:53:49 PM
I think it's the soundtrack and homogenized artstyle. Each NSMB is built from scratch so I don't know why they don't change up the sound/style every once in a while. Make each one unique by the way they look and sound not just some gimmicks, SMB series did this and they were great.
#9Schwepps01Posted 8/14/2014 5:58:49 PM(edited)
Bat178 posted...
At least with the 3D Mario games they all try something different. Every NSMB game feels the exact same, just with edited levels and bosses.

Lol, have you played NSMB2 for 3DS? I made the mistake of paying full price for that trash. The level quality was so poor and amateurish, I didn't know what to make of it, until I read a review on this site that summarized it for me: ROM hack. Usually no matter how generic Mario gets, the level design is ok, but good god was that game horrible.

I also love how Nintendo acts like Bowser kidnapping Peach in each game and making him the final boss is some time-honored tradition, when it's just even less work they have to do between games, and it's becoming so stale and stupid, you almost wonder how they cannot be self-aware of it.
---
"Does that have unknown games in it?" --squatch22 inquiring if a list of announced PS4 games has unannounced games on it
#10Lemon_Master(Topic Creator)Posted 8/14/2014 6:01:58 PM
Mario 1, 2, 3, and World all felt different so I don't know why NSMB still feels the same. But casuals eat it up.