Why is New Super Mario Bros so bland?

#11StarmanJunior64Posted 8/14/2014 6:19:04 PM
it's bland because they didn't want to put the effort into differentiating the games.

Sure they're playable. Some, even quite enjoyable. But yes, very bland, very repetitive and a bit too similar to one another. They should have introduced new world themes, new music, etc. to keep it fresh, but I have a sneaking suspicion that they chose not to because they knew it would sell regardless of how much effort went into it.

I love Nintendo, but I hate their mistreatment of Mario. Mario is a huge seller, but I wish they would always put the effort into it. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.
---
Playing: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii), Tetris DS (DS), New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS), VVVVVV (3DS), Grinsia (3DS), and Mega Man (GB)
#12CubeTVPosted 8/14/2014 6:21:19 PM
Lemon_Master posted...
Mario 1, 2, 3, and World all felt different so I don't know why NSMB still feels the same. But casuals eat it up.

They didn't really know what Mario wanted to be like. Then the DS game came out and that set the Mario tone for a while.

Anyways, the reused music and level themes is such a bad part on the games that it actually kills the games for me. New Super Mario Bros. 2 has three special worlds with their own music in the world. Guess what? THat's my favorite parts of the game. The "Special overworld" music (found in the canon/rainbow levels begining) seriously should have been used there since it's like a slap in the face.

New Super Mario Bros. U is even worse than 2 with the reused music. It gives a sense of "I already did that". The cloud, grass and ice world is my favorite in the game. Why? New music. It makes the levels feel fresh and fun to play.

The NSMB series has some of the worst bosses I've ever seen in gaming. Why? Reused music. So predictable I hate it. 7 castles/bosses with the same music, multiply that by THREE (Wii, 2 and U) and it's just... Annoying.
---
Owner of: Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo GameCube, N64, Gameboy Advance and a PS1.
Want: A better computer, a PS3 and a new PSP. Don't like the PS2 & Wii
#13LvthnPosted 8/14/2014 6:24:26 PM
The levels don't just feel the same, a lot of the series just reuses the same environments that have been in circulation since SMB3.

It feels bland because it's a bland, same-y series.
#14AkaneJonesPosted 8/14/2014 8:12:24 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X4rqQVUsvQ&list=PLI-K4JNUl7tpnds-VL7zve5cVit-f-ef-&index=2
(I'll skip the first level because of the time wasting stuff loading that GFAQs might not like)
#15Granadico_Posted 8/14/2014 8:19:30 PM
It doesn't seem all that ambitious. It just seems like a glorified game that tries to be as much like the originals as possible while still being fresh. I still like it though
#16StephenYap3Posted 8/15/2014 4:06:28 PM
The NSMB series started to get bland with NSMBU for me. Hopefully the next game will offer a new idea.
---
No, I want you to get me a Cheeseburger and a Shake!
#17Mandrew257Posted 8/15/2014 4:10:34 PM
The constant "bah bah bah" in the music
Characters feel slow
Easy
---
Please Support Classic Game Room Kickstarter!
PSN/NNID: Mandrew257
#18BowserJr168Posted 8/15/2014 4:11:40 PM
My favorite one was the DS one.
---
...Needs more Rawk Hawk.
#19juzziebPosted 8/15/2014 5:39:32 PM
The slow pace and lack of punishment for mistakes goes against everything the old marios had going for them.
---
NNID: xjuziex FC: 3110-6269-4234
#20terrancejonesPosted 8/15/2014 6:09:21 PM
Oh true... lack of reward and difficulty, though could be attributed to our expertise, since we were like 5-10 when we played those games, nowadays we rack up lives like candy on halloween. It's at least the post-game that I'm happy they thought of us, but getting to that point I can understand is tedious. So while these games are great for those that haven't played those old games like us, it kinda alienates us as experienced gamers, who, in all honesty, would still like to try out those games.

This is kinda why I loved SM3DW and Land so much. It offered a fresh new challenge, that mixes themes from older games, to keep things fresh, and to add new features, to keep things interesting. It offered a challenge world set of stages, for those who wanted to have a difficult time to 100% these games, and in the case of the newest game, had an unlockable!
---
3DS Friend Code: 5327-0996-6757 Water FS: Panpour, Quagsire, Frogadier