How would you respond to the "Nintendo only makes games for kids" argument?

#101Granadico_Posted 8/16/2014 12:08:10 PM
king_madden posted...
but again a game that any one can pick up and easily play and beat, is different than trying to talk about "oh there are people who play pokemon to the extreme and thats why its not true".

the games tend to be colorful, cute, simple, and silly. all things that are used to cater to children. look at kids shows, they often look like nintendo main games. not saying theres anything wrong with it, because adults CAN enjoy it too. Nintendo themselves market it as a console for children, with kids asking parents to get one, in most of their commercials.

Isn't that literally the definition of "hard to master"?
I agree with all that (2nd part), i'm just saying most of their games offer something deeper for older/more experienced people to enjoy.
#102TheMisterManGuyPosted 8/16/2014 12:18:05 PM
king_madden posted...
but again a game that any one can pick up and easily play and beat, is different than trying to talk about "oh there are people who play pokemon to the extreme and thats why its not true".

the games tend to be colorful, cute, simple, and silly. all things that are used to cater to children. look at kids shows, they often look like nintendo main games. not saying theres anything wrong with it, because adults CAN enjoy it too. Nintendo themselves market it as a console for children, with kids asking parents to get one, in most of their commercials.

So bright colors, humor, and cuteness are used to only attract children? Conker's Bad Fur Day must be the most kid friendly game ever made then. But in all seriousness, Nintendo isn't a company that caters strictly to children, nor do the cater to the 18-34 demographic Sony and Microsoft target. Nintendo markets to anyone and everyone who likes video games, regardless of age, gender, or gaming experience.
#103Sir_HaxorPosted 8/16/2014 12:20:12 PM
king_madden posted...

UAU confirmed.

You clearly are too young to watch adult cartoons and know they exist.
---
Half naked teenage demon boy is as good as it gets- MetaLoki
The Official Anguished One and Chaos Hero of the SMTIV board
#104KCJ5062Posted 8/16/2014 12:40:21 PM(edited)
The_Pig_Hostage posted...
Theguysayhi posted...
"aren't you a little old to be playing Nintendo? Isn't that for like, eight year olds?"

Popular assumption, how do you respond?

I think that's only a popular assumption among 10 year olds.

People in their 20s and 30s love Nintendo.

Sadly there are even people in their 20s and 30s that have the same mindsets as kids/teens do. That type of insecurity stays with some people for the rest of their lives.

I hope I never "mature" to the point where I'm too concerned about a macho image and the only things I'd be interested in are genteel Merchant Ivory dramas, political documentaries, or war movies.
#105dancing_cactuarPosted 8/16/2014 12:35:28 PM
I'd ask them to go play Fatal Frame 5 when it comes out.
---
I am pro Nintendo on the Nintendo board, so I am not a troll. - Greer
How can mirrors be real if our eyes aren't real- Jaden Smith
#106Baha05Posted 8/16/2014 12:38:19 PM
Hell aside from maybe Cute, I think Oblivion is a pretty damn colorful game, hell the FF series as a whole is also colorful as ****, even the crappy XIII series has some color to it.
#107Lovely_DisasterPosted 8/16/2014 12:47:02 PM
I would agree. Because it's absolutely true. Nintendo's image is kid-friendly. Their main franchises are kid-friendly. If you want to feel insulted that people say Nintendo is kid-friendly when it's a fact then that's your problem. I don't view "kid-friendly" as an insult.
---
"Ign is INFAMOUS for giving nintendo games a low score." - SMASHKING84
#108Baha05Posted 8/16/2014 12:48:20 PM
Lovely_Disaster posted...
I would agree. Because it's absolutely true. Nintendo's image is kid-friendly. Their main franchises are kid-friendly. If you want to feel insulted that people say Nintendo is kid-friendly when it's a fact then that's your problem. I don't view "kid-friendly" as an insult.

Kid friendly in that kind of use s insulting though, and besides they are more family friendly then kid friendly, kinda like Disney really, they all have something that any age can enjoy.
#109slymshadyPosted 8/16/2014 12:51:19 PM
I would say "true, but the gameplay is solid regardless of its artistic style"
#110omescythePosted 8/16/2014 12:56:58 PM
what in Nintendo's games is designed to appeal to adults and not kids then if Nintendo is not geared towards kids.