How would you respond to the "Nintendo only makes games for kids" argument?

#41Thundering_TNTPosted 8/15/2014 11:36:37 PM
I would just read them my sig., then explain who C.S Lewis was, because if they are that stupid, they will not know who he is.
---
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. -C.S. Lewis
#42Theguysayhi(Topic Creator)Posted 8/15/2014 11:40:11 PM
ZeroxKnux posted...
Theguysayhi posted...
Simple? Stereotypical misguided assumption.

You'd probably eat those words if you attempted to comprehend full understanding of playing Pokemon competitively meta game and variables.

The pokemon metagame is very simple actually. There is a lot math involved but once someone else calculates it (and someone always does) the metagame settles into a simple and predictable pattern.

Correct, Nintendo keeps their games as simple or complex at a equilibrium to match players like you and me. Nintendo makes their games concepts easy to understand but difficult to master, similarly to performing Motzart on the piano (I'm a concet pianist). At the same time, their games boast ingenuity, and are innovative to the standed games you see today.

Now tell me, look at your standed first person shooter or racing car game, what do you see?
---
Logic, when accompanied with quick, rational thinking, can topple any mystery.
--Professor Layton
#43ZeroxKnuxPosted 8/15/2014 11:48:26 PM(edited)
Theguysayhi posted...
Correct, Nintendo keeps their games as simple or complex at a equilibrium to match players like you and me. Nintendo makes their games concepts easy to understand but difficult to master, similarly to performing Motzart on the piano (I'm a concet pianist). At the same time, their games boast ingenuity, and are innovative to the standed games you see today.

Now tell me, look at your standed first person shooter or racing car game, what do you see?

That isn't unique to Nintendo and saying it is shows your obvious bias. So does purposefully comparing it to the "standard FPS" instead of the better games out there.
Anyways that irrelevant to the point I was making of the Pokemon metagame being simple.
#44Theguysayhi(Topic Creator)Posted 8/16/2014 12:02:24 AM(edited)
ZeroxKnux posted...
Theguysayhi posted...

That isn't unique to Nintendo and saying it is shows your obvious bias. So does purposefully comparing it to the "standard FPS" instead of the better games out there.
Anyways that irrelevant to the point I was making of the Pokemon metagame being simple.

Bias?

Erroroniusly Assuming your position, I attempted to use games that you could relate to.
I am Sorry.

Never the less, I don't think it is "just" to dismiss my point because you believe it is bias.
---
--Professor Layton
#45Granadico_Posted 8/15/2014 11:59:04 PM
ZeroxKnux posted...
Theguysayhi posted...
Simple? Stereotypical misguided assumption.

You'd probably eat those words if you attempted to comprehend full understanding of playing Pokemon competitively meta game and variables.

The pokemon metagame is very simple actually. There is a lot math involved but once someone else calculates it (and someone always does) the metagame settles into a simple and predictable pattern.

So you're saying its simple after someone figures it out completely? Isn't that everything?
#46ZeroxKnuxPosted 8/16/2014 12:00:17 AM
No saying the math behind it may be complex but you don't have to understand the math just understand the end result and apply it.
#47Granadico_Posted 8/16/2014 12:04:43 AM
ZeroxKnux posted...
No saying the math behind it may be complex but you don't have to understand the math just understand the end result and apply it.

Well the only reason you know the end result is a result of people figuring it out. 99% of people couldn't figure it out on their own. Could you imagine the Pokemon metagame if the people who figured it out didn't share anything and only they knew it all? It'd be a slaughter
#48ZeroxKnuxPosted 8/16/2014 12:06:20 AM
Once again not really. The general strategy is simple and the math isn't really needed to devise it in the general sense. The math is just for optimizing your numbers to cover the widest range of possibilities.
#49Theguysayhi(Topic Creator)Posted 8/16/2014 12:10:58 AM
Granadico_ posted...
ZeroxKnux posted...

Well the only reason you know the end result is a result of people figuring it out. 99% of people couldn't figure it out on their own. Could you imagine the Pokemon metagame if the people who figured it out didn't share anything and only they knew it all? It'd be a slaughter

I, myself, find it much more rewarding of you create the ultimate Pokemon party for competitive play by myself :)

(Then I get massively owned by the asians, and I'm forced to chain breed, get perfect type coverage, Perfect 5 IV Stat combination, Moveset coverage, status moves and considering, Appropriate EV total to suit my sweeper, glass cannon healer Etc.)
---
--Professor Layton
#50Granadico_Posted 8/16/2014 12:13:13 AM
Well sure strategy nd stuff is important, but without all the EV and IV crap you're at a huge disadvantage. It also doesnt help when people come up with the most optimal move set and crap for each Pokemon (which is why i hate competitive pokemon, its incredibly dull and repetitive due to everyone just looking up info).
For a personal example, my friend and I would play sometimes for fun, and I would beat him everytime simply because I could play the game better (i don't care about EV, IV, nature,etc). But once he made a team with perfect EVs and natures, and a team he looked up kinda, he murdered me.
The metagame is easy because people already figured it out for you. It'd be farmore interesting if it wasn't the case though :\