Is tropical freeze the best game of this gen so far?

#31SlimeSwayzePosted 8/16/2014 4:03:30 PM
It's not in my list of top 5 Wii U games. I didn't think Tropical Freeze was a very interesting game, and it had no replay value for me. When it's all said and done I don't think it will be in my top 10, or even top 15 games of 2014.
---
Don't post something you'd be ashamed to show your parents or your children.
#32wiiking96Posted 8/16/2014 5:20:32 PM
XeroShinobi posted...
I really like Tropical Freeze, but no. 3D World is a more polished game,

That's a rather laughable claim.

and a harder game to do well. As good as Tropical Freeze is, it doesn't take a huge amount of talent from the development team to produce.

Balacing a variety of intricate levels for elegant speed running is not an easy task. It's obvious that a ton of effort went into each individual level. I never felt that way with 3D World. That game was balanced for multiplayer in one of the laziest ways possible: Dumbing down the level design. A lot of levels in that game are clunky with multiplayer, anyway. That isn't the case with TF's Time Trials.

Yes, it's more difficult, but that alone does not make it a better game.

It's better because it's more polished, more detailed, more fully realized, and more original.
---
More villains need to be protagonists. BIS proves it can work.
Ridley, Ganondorf, Bowser, Fawful and King Dedede all for their own games!
#33ponypower666Posted 8/16/2014 11:06:48 PM
SlimeSwayze posted...
It's not in my list of top 5 Wii U games. I didn't think Tropical Freeze was a very interesting game, and it had no replay value for me. When it's all said and done I don't think it will be in my top 10, or even top 15 games of 2014.

Yeah well that says more about you than about the game.
#34XeroShinobiPosted 8/16/2014 11:51:18 PM(edited)
wiiking96 posted...

No, it's not. It's harder to make a well-made 3D platformer than a well-made 2D platformer. Not an opinion, it's objective fact.

wiiking96 posted...
Balacing a variety of intricate levels for elegant speed running is not an easy task.

Yeah, it kind of is, actually. Mixing puzzle elements and trickier enemy encounters on top of that would have been something, but as it stands, I'm sorry, DKCTP is not a hard game to make. Platformers are, by default, pretty good for speed running. It's not hard to cater to that kind of gameplay even more within the genre.

wiiking96 posted...
It's better because it's more polished, more detailed, more fully realized, and more original.

More detailed? The game may have 3D graphics, but it's played in 2D. There is nowhere as much depth to the environments or character models. It's much less detailed. More fully realized? It's a widely accepted fact that the game's co-op is a joke. More original? It's Donkey Kong Country. There are 4 other games similar to it, and one other game nearly identical in level design. 3D World only has 3D Land as a directly comparable Mario game, and World is a lot more polished than Land.
---
Currently playing: not much
#35ponypower666Posted 8/16/2014 11:52:23 PM
XeroShinobi posted...
wiiking96 posted...

No, it's not. It's harder to make a well-made 3D platformer than a well-made 2D platformer. Not an opinion, it's objective fact.

wiiking96 posted...
Balacing a variety of intricate levels for elegant speed running is not an easy task.

Yeah, it kind of is, actually. Mixing puzzle elements and trickier enemy encounters on top of that would have been something, but as it stands, I'm sorry, DKCTP is not a hard game to make. Platformers are, by default, pretty good for speed running. It's not hard to cater to that kind of gameplay even more within the genre.

wiiking96 posted...

More detailed? The game may have 3D graphics, but it's played in 2D. There is nowhere as much depth to the environments or character models. It's much less detailed. More fully realized? It's a widely accepted fact that the game's co-op is a joke. More original? It's Donkey Kong Country. There are 4 other games similar to it, and one other game nearly identical in level design. 3D World only has 3D Land as a directly comparable Mario game, and World is a lot more polished than Land.

So much fail in this.
#36XeroShinobiPosted 8/17/2014 12:00:48 AM
ponypower666 posted...
So much fail in this.

How so? If you don't elaborate, you just come off as childish. It is harder to make 3D games than 2D games. There is so much more that can go wrong when designing a 3D game. I generally prefer 2D game design because of this fact. 2D game design is easier to pull off and therefore there are many more exceptional 2D games than 3D.

If you think it's hard to make 2D platform games that have a nice flow that complements speedy, skillful play, think of how many 2D platformers have accomplished this, both old and new, and compare how many 3D platformers are praised to the same degree. Aside from Mario games and possibly Banjo, there really isn't much. Many have tried, few have succeeded.
---
#37ponypower666Posted 8/17/2014 12:09:10 AM
XeroShinobi posted...
ponypower666 posted...
So much fail in this.

How so? If you don't elaborate, you just come off as childish. It is harder to make 3D games than 2D games. There is so much more that can go wrong when designing a 3D game. I generally prefer 2D game design because of this fact. 2D game design is easier to pull off and therefore there are many more exceptional 2D games than 3D.

If you think it's hard to make 2D platform games that have a nice flow that complements speedy, skillful play, think of how many 2D platformers have accomplished this, both old and new, and compare how many 3D platformers are praised to the same degree. Aside from Mario games and possibly Banjo, there really isn't much. Many have tried, few have succeeded.

It is an assumption that 2d design is easier than 3d for starters. This is not fact. Tf is a 3d engine too, so your post just falls apart.
#38DBeanPosted 8/17/2014 12:13:07 AM
I thought Returns was better than Tropical Freeze. Boss fights go on way too long, and that Bopopolis level is one I never want to play again.

I'd give the nod to Super Mario 3D World, personally, for being one of the only multiplayer 3D platformers out there worth playing. It's seriously great.
#39XeroShinobiPosted 8/17/2014 12:24:01 AM
ponypower666 posted...
It is an assumption that 2d design is easier than 3d for starters.

It's not an assumption. It's well known in the industry and to anyone with even a modicum of common sense.

ponypower666 posted...
Tf is a 3d engine too

Graphically. The gameplay mechanics and level design are 2D, and that's what I'm talking about.

I'd say your argument is coming apart, but you never had one to begin with.
---
#40ponypower666Posted 8/17/2014 12:34:26 AM
Yeah well you are simply confusing fact with biased opinion and assumption. And link to these industry standards please? You underestimate both the level of detail and the craftmanship of the level layout in tropical freeze.