why is the wii u name such an issue??

#11LostsecretPosted 8/16/2014 5:05:35 PM
LMwest09 posted...
It isn't and never was. Consumers who are too lazy to spend 5 minutes googling ( instead spending hours on facebook or something just as bad) or who are not interested would have never known what the Wii U was regardless of the name. To this day my dad will ask why I needed a Playstation when my N64 played games too ( he thought one system to play all). I know nothing about iPhones but the name/marketing has nothing to do with that. It's because I have no interest in them.

The fact that you know about iPhone is enough to prove the point, apple at least did something right. You know it's a phone and it competes with the current gen phones.

The wii u has a problem with people not knowing its a new system. Enough people think its a wii add on, not its own console.
---
It don't matter if you win by an inch or a mile. Winning's winning.
#12DorotimusWitikPosted 8/16/2014 5:10:06 PM
Everything about it is a contradiction. Wii was sold as something wildly different from the competition and from its predecessors. Meanwhile the Wii U is generally played mostly with Wii remotes for the most part and is largely the same concept as the Wii. The Wii was meant to be something other than the usual incremental improvement from generation to generation. The Wii U did exactly that, but it's a year behind. The Wii's name was meant to indicate inclusiveness. Wii U oddly appends a singular pronoun to that.

Meanwhile, the big draw that made non-gamers interested in the Wii was how active it was. With the Wii U, the big new draw is the tablet screen and there is nothing particularly active about it... and that probably isn't a problem, because as we've seen with XBox One dropping Kinect and lackluster performance of the PS4's camera peripheral, all this motion gaming stuff is no longer interesting to people (and the reasons why are fairly obvious when you use the gamepad to play the archery game in Game and Wario and the direction of the gamepad doesn't even begin to resemble where you are pointing or when you are playing the Wii sports golf game and just simply can not get two shots to be similar).

Truth be told, this is probably why Nintendo is doing their QOL thing. They know the audience for pure gaming related things and the audience for what the Wii was are separate and distinct and you can't make one product that appeals to them all. Whether or not it'll work is another question entirely.
#13FayeLadyPosted 8/16/2014 5:19:38 PM
Its not a big issue, its a small issue joining a list of others.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#14PS4WarriorPosted 8/16/2014 8:01:18 PM
Because its a bad name.
#15Master AlienPosted 8/16/2014 10:17:21 PM
Evilcrachitt posted...
64 DD in Japan, but that's it.

You have to remember consumers are dumb for the most part. They think low sodium is a major improvement when it does almost nothing

n64 also had an expansion pak add on which doubled its ram. i remember mine came with dk64 and the only other game i can think of off hand that needed it was perfect dark
#16plus1zeroPosted 8/16/2014 10:26:15 PM
ronjon1183 posted...
LMwest09 posted...
It isn't and never was.

Please don't ever go into marketing.

I dunno. He could probably work for Nintendo, they seem to have that same attitude.
---
How do you know someone games on a PC? Don't worry, they'll tell you.
#17BurgerTime79Posted 8/16/2014 10:27:26 PM
Lefty128k posted...
Evilcrachitt posted...

You have to remember consumers are dumb for the most part. They think low sodium is a major improvement when it does almost nothing

Yeah, It's the consumers fault Nintendo gave two systems in a row almost identical names.

The only reason why you're even on this board is to keep being negative towards people and the system, so just go.
---->

Sony's been calling their systems "Playstation" since the first one, and the number hasn't send people into confusion. The Atari had multiple systems called "Atari <numbers here>" and no confusion. With as little faith I put in this generation and the consumers, the letter U isn't going to be the end all straw on the camel's back. There was the NES and SNES at one point.
---
Classic Gaming Expo _ Sept 12-14 Riviera Hotel in Las Vegas
#18PS4WarriorPosted 8/16/2014 11:59:37 PM
BurgerTime79 posted...
Lefty128k posted...
Evilcrachitt posted...

Yeah, It's the consumers fault Nintendo gave two systems in a row almost identical names.

The only reason why you're even on this board is to keep being negative towards people and the system, so just go.
---->

Sony's been calling their systems "Playstation" since the first one, and the number hasn't send people into confusion. The Atari had multiple systems called "Atari <numbers here>" and no confusion. With as little faith I put in this generation and the consumers, the letter U isn't going to be the end all straw on the camel's back. There was the NES and SNES at one point.

You can thank Nintendos marketing team for the mixups. All the different controllers and addons for the Wii didn't help, plus the fact the Wii U gamepad could easily look like a type of Wii controller.
#19RushRush4Posted 8/17/2014 12:40:49 AM
Are people really still blaming the name for the system doing so poorly?
---
Reach for your Halo
#20Lemon_MasterPosted 8/17/2014 12:54:49 AM
novelaa posted...
FredSavage27 posted...
The Wii branding was used for so much of its software like Wii Fit, Wii Sports, Wii Play, &c.; PlayStation 2 makes it clear that it's the sequel to the PlayStation. Super NES is clearly a better NES. Nothing about "U" says that it's a more powerful successor to the Wii.

yeah, its like xbox 360 and xbox one

oh wait

Everyone hated the name "Xbox One".