So no cable modem support from the WiiU?

#11geneticsftwPosted 8/16/2014 4:57:49 PM
Lefty128k posted...
n00bsaib0t posted...
Lefty128k posted...
They are more or less making you buy an external HDD as well.

How are people who don't want to go digital forces to buy an external HDD? I have 13 digital games and 12gb free. 5 of those are VC.

And what about the people who do want to go digital?

$ony
#12John_MagnumPosted 8/16/2014 4:58:48 PM
n00bsaib0t posted...
Lefty128k posted...
n00bsaib0t posted...
Lefty128k posted...

How are people who don't want to go digital forces to buy an external HDD? I have 13 digital games and 12gb free. 5 of those are VC.

Their needs shouldn't drive the price up for everyone else. A 500gb HDD is $50. DDP points will pay for that. Hell, you can use one you already have even. I know I've got an extra 500gb external laying around after upgrading my computer. I doubt I'm the only one too.

why doesnt the same thing apply to the gamepad, people who want to use the gamepad can pay $150 for it and people who just want to play games that support the pro controller can pay less
#13John_MagnumPosted 8/16/2014 5:00:07 PM
or, if that argument doesn't float your boat, what about the fact that nintendo can use its industry clout and bulk-purchasing habits to negotiate vastly better unit prices on hard drives and go through far fewer intermediaries than an individual consumer buying a hard drive at retail? the dichotomy isn't between a consumer paying $50 for a hard drive and nintendo paying that same $50 on every wii u.
#14n00bsaib0tPosted 8/16/2014 5:09:07 PM
John_Magnum posted...
n00bsaib0t posted...
Lefty128k posted...
n00bsaib0t posted...
Lefty128k posted...

Their needs shouldn't drive the price up for everyone else. A 500gb HDD is $50. DDP points will pay for that. Hell, you can use one you already have even. I know I've got an extra 500gb external laying around after upgrading my computer. I doubt I'm the only one too.

why doesnt the same thing apply to the gamepad, people who want to use the gamepad can pay $150 for it and people who just want to play games that support the pro controller can pay less

Whether or not you go digital doesn't stop half the library from working, for starters. Did you know there are games that allow the Pro Controller that still won't function if the Game Pad isn't detected? And I'm sure Sega would just love if their game that requires the Game Pad suddenly wasn't playable for half the audience. Yeah, let's drive away one of the only third parties we get. That's a brilliant idea. Oh, and you can't do the initial set up because settings displays only on the Game Pad.

There's also that whole thing where the Game Pad doesn't cost $150 for Nintendo to make. The system wouldn't be substantially cheaper by including a different controller with the system.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#15Lefty128kPosted 8/16/2014 5:10:31 PM
n00bsaib0t posted...
Lefty128k posted...
n00bsaib0t posted...
Lefty128k posted...

Then you should be telling Nintendo, whose selling digital games and installing miniscule storage space, that.

Good for you, I also have a lot of used equipment lying around. That doesn't mean a thing to people who want to go digital. They aren't all gonna have additional equipment lying around.

All the excuses won't change the fact that Nintendo made the design choices that are gonna cause some consumers to have to buy an external HDD.
#16n00bsaib0tPosted 8/16/2014 5:11:50 PM
John_Magnum posted...
or, if that argument doesn't float your boat, what about the fact that nintendo can use its industry clout and bulk-purchasing habits to negotiate vastly better unit prices on hard drives and go through far fewer intermediaries than an individual consumer buying a hard drive at retail? the dichotomy isn't between a consumer paying $50 for a hard drive and nintendo paying that same $50 on every wii u.

Microsoft charges $20 more for 500 GB for the XB1 than a $50 seagate 2.5" 500 GB expansion drive. Kinda invalidates your point a little doesn't it?
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#17Lefty128kPosted 8/16/2014 5:12:42 PM
geneticsftw posted...
Lefty128k posted...
n00bsaib0t posted...
Lefty128k posted...

$ony

Oh look, the $ sign.

Is that supposed to make Sony look like a greedy money-making machine?
#18DorotimusWitikPosted 8/16/2014 5:13:52 PM
StaleCrackers posted...
No cable modem support...

Umm... you know you can just connect the Wii U to a router using the same USB network adapter the Wii had and some cat-5 cable right?
#19n00bsaib0tPosted 8/16/2014 5:15:57 PM
Lefty128k posted...
n00bsaib0t posted...
Lefty128k posted...
n00bsaib0t posted...
Lefty128k posted...

Then you should be telling Nintendo, whose selling digital games and installing miniscule storage space, that.

Good for you, I also have a lot of used equipment lying around. That doesn't mean a thing to people who want to go digital. They aren't all gonna have additional equipment lying around.

All the excuses won't change the fact that Nintendo made the design choices that are gonna cause some consumers to have to buy an external HDD.

So did Sony and MS considering game sizes on their consoles. Everyone going digital this gen needs an upgraded HDD. Hell Sony and Microsoft made the same choice last gen with the no HDD 360, 20gb 360, and 40gb PS3 and no one batted an eye. Suddenly Nintendo makes the choice that if a consumer doesn't want to go digital and it's evil. Jesus Christ try to be consistent here.

And hey, it could be worse. Nintendo could be charging $100+ for 64gb of storage in a proprietary format on a console that flopped so hard no company will release physical games for it outside of Japan.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
#20Lefty128kPosted 8/16/2014 5:24:47 PM
n00bsaib0t posted...
Lefty128k posted...

So did Sony and MS considering game sizes on their consoles. Everyone going digital this gen needs an upgraded HDD. Hell Sony and Microsoft made the same choice last gen with the no HDD 360, 20gb 360, and 40gb PS3 and no one batted an eye. Suddenly Nintendo makes the choice that if a consumer doesn't want to go digital and it's evil. Jesus Christ try to be consistent here.

And hey, it could be worse. Nintendo could be charging $100+ for 64gb of storage in a proprietary format on a console that flopped so hard no company will release physical games for it outside of Japan.

You can still upgrade the internal in those Sony systems, with a compatible drive of your choosing.
And as we all know, internals are way cheaper than externals.

FYI, 40gb PS3 is still more storage than Wii U 32gb....lol.

Fanboys still deflecting to Vita in a home console Wii U topic, I see.