Nintendo ever made a "style over substance" game?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Nintendo ever made a "style over substance" game?
10 months ago#1
Has Nintendo ever made a game where they placed more emphasis on flashy aesthetics and over-the-top action rather than fun gameplay mechanics. Usually Nintendo is very good at balancing both, but the closest I can think of is Wario World. The game had a ton of style, but the gameplay while fun, was a bit repetitive.
10 months ago#2
Most of the Yoshi and Kirby games from the N64 era on. That's referring to style over substance rather than the additional caveat in the TC's post that calls for over the top action.
---
The HUD...
...placed conveniently on the Wii U gamepad. - TreeFall Studios on The Letter
(edited 0 seconds ago)
10 months ago#3
I'm sure they have, just can't think of any right now
10 months ago#4
Galaxy 1 and 2

They were very linear and not so much fun to play.
---
It's not about graphics vs gameplay, it's about profits vs gameplay. Profits are more important than gameplay in this forum. -lgi on the Wii U messageboard
10 months ago#5
Other M
10 months ago#6
_Candice_ posted...
Galaxy 1 and 2

They were very linear and not so much fun to play.

And here we have an example of a wrong opinion.

Take notes everyone.
---
3DS: 0146-8850-9059/ nnid: Tzuba12
Steam: Tzuba
10 months ago#7
TheMisterManGuy posted...
Has Nintendo ever made a game where they placed more emphasis on flashy aesthetics and over-the-top action rather than fun gameplay mechanics. Usually Nintendo is very good at balancing both, but the closest I can think of is Wario World. The game had a ton of style, but the gameplay while fun, was a bit repetitive.

It was actually Treasure who made Wario World, though it was probably the worst Nintendo published game I've played in my life. It's a shame because Treasure makes great games, they made Ikaruga.
---
"Does that have unknown games in it?" --squatch22 inquiring if a list of announced PS4 games has unannounced games on it
10 months ago#8
The entire Yoshi's Island series.
---
Respectful noob of Dark Aether
10 months ago#9
Schwepps01 posted...
TheMisterManGuy posted...

It was actually Treasure who made Wario World, though it was probably the worst Nintendo published game I've played in my life. It's a shame because Treasure makes great games, they made Ikaruga.

I have a soft spot for Treasure with the Bleach DS games. I don't even like Bleach but those were just fun games. Was Wario World really that bad. I remember my friend rented it back in the day but i don't remember it very much, i don't think we hated it.
---
3DS FC 1719-3711-0721
Gamertag - Brokeslimjim v3 / PSN - Brokeslimjim
10 months ago#10
Stuff like Wii Music is devoid of both style and substance. Also doesn't really qualify as a game.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Nintendo ever made a "style over substance" game?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived