How much "kiddy" can you handle?

#1TheMisterManGuyPosted 8/17/2014 12:29:57 AM
I'm all for vibrant, colorful, and cute things in video games. But I have my limits. What is your prefered level of "kiddy"? I personaly like games that have bright colors and are wacky/whimsical/stylish, but also have some darkness and have characters and gameplay that anyone can appreciate. Good examples are Kid Icarus: Uprising, WarioWare, Donkey Kong Country, Skies of Arcadia, Valkyria Chronicles, Jet Set Radio, Star Fox, Ratchet & Clank, Klonoa, Tales series etc.

What I can't tolerate is the game treating its players like toddlers. Making thing overley saccharin and just being cute for the sake of being cute, and having little to no actual conflict or darkness. Pushmo (great game, but the presentation was its weakest part IMO), Snowboard Kids, New Super Mario Bros., and most licensed kids games are all good examples.
#2NovaLevossidaPosted 8/17/2014 12:34:19 AM
So long as it doesn't insult my intelligence, offers a challenge, and doesn't look like My Little Pony, I'm okay with it.
---
The HUD...
...placed conveniently on the Wii U gamepad. - TreeFall Studios on The Letter
#3CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 8/17/2014 12:43:56 AM
I can handle quite a bit.

The only games where I've felt I could play becuase of kiddyness, where ones where there was obiously no consideration that anybody besides a child would ever play, But not only that, games that make this oversight I feel often go as far as to even underestimate the capabilities of the kids of their audience.

So, basically, I guess I'm saying, If the kiddyness isn't paired with design flaws, and poor philosophies in how to address other people, I don't think there really is much of a limit to how kiddy I can go.
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
#4sonicfanaticjtbPosted 8/17/2014 12:46:01 AM
I recently watched all 4 seasons of My little pony Friendship is magic (Hey guess what? A show that has a massive vocal fanbase that extends beyond it's target audience? Yeah, there may just be a reason why that fanbase exists )

You tell me how much kiddy I can handle. Uh...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8qLP2B7hX8

Just for reference, I can handle that.

Seriously though, damn does this show have a lot of heart put into it. If ya haven't watched it yet, I'd give it a shot. The first couple of episodes ain't anything special, but it's one Hell of a little cartoon once it starts getting good. Like any good show, it does have some bad episodes every now and again, but even those aren't that bad save one or two.
---
"God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy"
"Tell that someone that you love, just what you're thinking of, if tomorrow never comes"
#5WickedSickJoshPosted 8/17/2014 12:51:06 AM
Kirby's Epic Yarn and pretty much all Yoshi games I can't do. I'd say Animal Crossing is about my limit.
---
Currently playing: Fire a Emblem Awakening (3DS), Wonderful 101 (WiiU )
IG: @the_aging_gamer
#6DiscostewSMPosted 8/17/2014 12:54:33 AM
Oh no....ponies.....

C3PO: Here we go again.

Actually, if you look passed the fact that (most of) the characters are colorful ponies, it's a pretty good show, distinguishing itself from past generations in a very positive way. Meant for little girls? Sure, but unlike previous generations, they were not the only focus. Ignore the fanbase if you want (it's probably best that you do), but don't judge the show simply because it is MLP, or on those fanatics.

We now return you to your regularly updated thread.
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#7ShinyTepigPosted 8/17/2014 12:59:25 AM
I'll go to the color level of Kirby and maybe Animal Crossing, but that's where I cross the line.
---
NNID:133700Pika
"The best meal of the day, Gary's way~!"
#8sonicfanaticjtbPosted 8/17/2014 1:03:24 AM
DiscostewSM posted...
Oh no....ponies.....

C3PO: Here we go again.

Actually, if you look passed the fact that (most of) the characters are colorful ponies, it's a pretty good show, distinguishing itself from past generations in a very positive way. Meant for little girls? Sure, but unlike previous generations, they were not the only focus. Ignore the fanbase if you want (it's probably best that you do), but don't judge the show simply because it is MLP, or on those fanatics.

We now return you to your regularly updated thread.

Not to mention it's songs that will never, ever, EVER get out of my head!

I'll be sitting there at work minding my own business when I'll just start singing the smile song to myself, or art of the dress, or the popularity song, or Raise the barn, or Apples to the Core, or bats....

I guess since I never watched ducktails as a kid, this is now my ducktails. I just hope no one walks by me... I mean, I don't really care what they think of me ("I don't give a darn what other people think, what do ya think about that?" ) I'd just rather not have to explain myself to my coworkers...
---
"God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy"
"Tell that someone that you love, just what you're thinking of, if tomorrow never comes"
#9HylianKnight1Posted 8/17/2014 1:08:27 AM
Diddy Kong Racing is the only game I've played that off put me with it's cutesy atmosphere, that being said, it's still one of my favorite racing games of all time, and can be a real challenge for even the most hardcore gamers.

What makes me laugh though is how the game is linked to Conker's Bad Fur Day, which is one of the most controversial games ever made.
---
Beep boop son, beep boop.
#10Pink_a_DinkPosted 8/17/2014 1:25:41 AM
Kirby's Epic Yarn took it too far.

They must have been drunk when they made that game. And it got a ****ing 86 on Metacritic. How the HELL did that happen?
---
Without exaggeration, I can honestly say this is the best thing I've played this whole year, and its only a demo!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B7rgDikl0k