Why do people think you need an M rating to appeal to adults?

#1TheMisterManGuyPosted 8/17/2014 10:33:49 PM(edited)
I hear that for Nintendo to appeal to an older audience, they need to secure more M rated games. While this would certainly help, it shouldn't be a primary concern. You don't need realism, extreme violence, gritty darkness, or an M rating to appeal to adults or even teens. Marketing, and gameplay is what truly matters. Take Donkey Kong Country Returns for example, its certainly kid friendly, but it has depth and challenge adults; or people who grew up on the SNES trilogy will enjoy as well. Plus, it was advertised mainly on channels Adults would be watching, and it wasn't just to buy the game for their kids.

Also, you CAN make cartoony character games cool to older audiences. Nintendo has said the average Mario player is in their 20s. Insomniac & Sony say the Ratchet & Clank games are aimed at 18-34 year olds, and it was Sega's whole marketing tactic for Sonic the Hedgehog. Not to mention, good kids cartoons that teens and adults love like Adventure Time, MLP, and Avatar.

So if Nintendo wants to apeal to an older audience, they DON'T need an M rating to do so, they just need good marketing and/or strong gameplay. Mature rated content is just an added bonus.
#2Granadico_Posted 8/17/2014 10:30:47 PM
People are ignorant and care too much about waht other people think
Conker's Bad Fur Day is probably the best example for this (though it wasn't very "mature" as it was adult)
#3retrogoodsPosted 8/17/2014 10:38:16 PM
This is the problem with Nintendo. All they really make are kids games. Most of them fall under being for kids I'm not bashing, but it wouldn't hurt to step out of the E for Everyone box.
---
Look at my game collection before spouting out that I have brand loyalty to one company. http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/retrogoods/games/owned
#4ghostemp77Posted 8/17/2014 10:46:16 PM
Nowadays the M rating attracts more kids than adults.
---
3DS FC: 2380 - 2356 - 0444
http://i.imgur.com/dovxshz.gif http://i.imgur.com/akOmHDE.png
#5TheMisterManGuy(Topic Creator)Posted 8/17/2014 10:47:49 PM
retrogoods posted...
This is the problem with Nintendo. All they really make are kids games. Most of them fall under being for kids I'm not bashing, but it wouldn't hurt to step out of the E for Everyone box.

E rating =/= kids game. Nobody is going to tell you that Madden is a kids game dispite being rated E. Mario isn't really a kids game either, its a game marketed to anyone who wants to play a fun video game. Color paletes don't determine your target audience. The ESRB doesn't determine your target audience. Marketing, and gameplay determine your target demographic.
#6Granadico_Posted 8/17/2014 10:48:44 PM
TheMisterManGuy posted...
retrogoods posted...

E rating =/= kids game. Nobody is going to tell you that Madden is a kids game dispite being rated E. Mario isn't really a kids game either, its a game marketed to anyone who wants to play a fun video game. Color paletes don't determine your target audience. The ESRB doesn't determine your target audience. Marketing, and gameplay determine your target demographic.

Don't bother with him. Many people here have him on ignore for a reason
#7CrystalKing5426Posted 8/17/2014 11:00:19 PM
ghostemp77 posted...

---
Other M is the One More Day of Metroid
#8sonicfanaticjtbPosted 8/17/2014 11:30:36 PM
retrogoods posted...

Back in the day, there was no E rating

There was K-A. Kids-Adults. This rating was replaced wiiiiiiiith, well... You're a smart man, I assume, wanna take a guess what K-A was replaced with?
---
"God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy"
"Tell that someone that you love, just what you're thinking of, if tomorrow never comes"
#9Bat178Posted 8/18/2014 4:00:21 AM(edited)
ghostemp77 posted...

This. I prefer the colourful cartoony E/T rated games Nintendo have over the generic gritty grey and brown realistic M rated games Sony and Microsoft have (While Sony does have some cartoony franchises, most of them are dead except for Ratchet and LittleBigPlanet), because I find cartoony games actually fun (Which is what video games are suppose to be about) and while they might not take themselves too seriously, there is usually some hidden darkness in them.
---
Awww, isn't that cute? He thinks he can beat me!
#10CyricsServantPosted 8/18/2014 4:18:20 AM
ghostemp77 posted...

I highly doubt that.

I don't know why so many Nintendo-only fans (not necessarily the person I'm quoting) are so insecure and can't accept that they enjoy games designed with younger demographics in mind. I enjoy most Nintendo products, and I don't have to pretend the games were specifically targeted at people in their 20s or 30s to do so. Anyone who assesses a game like, for example, Kirby's Epic Yarn objectively will know right away who that game was designed to appeal to.

Yes, of course the games aren't "for kids only." No such rating exists. That doesn't mean that all games are designed with "everyone" in mind. Petz: Horses 2 wasn't designed with 20-40 year old men in mind. Babysitting Party wasn't designed with 20-40 year old men in mind.

I don't know why it's so difficult for certain unsecure fanboys to wrap their heads around that.