Were WiiU fans N64 fans also?

#1vermilion99Posted 8/19/2014 10:40:24 AM
I've always looked at the N64 as the start of the home console FPS craze and a precursor to the big online multiplayer titles we have today. It was the console that ushered in real multiplayer gaming. No multi taps needed. Games like Quake 2, Perfect Dark, WCW and WWF wrestling games, Smash Bros, Mario Party, and Goldeneye ushered in the multiplayer and competitive aspect to home consoles in a big way.

What gets me is many people on this board are quick to shoot down FPSs on other consoles and quick to make excuses of why online isn't important. It's strange that a good portion of the N64 game library was built with multiplayer in mind, and gamers loved it back then. Yet now, because Nintendo didn't evolve the genres or concepts, people act like the those genres and concepts don't matter.

Online was the natural progression after the N64. People complain about FPSs taking no skill and not being fun these days. It would have been like saying Goldeneye isn't that fun or doesn't take skill because you refused to play the multiplayer against real life opponents.

It seems to me if Nintendo would have paid attention to what people liked about the N64 and the genre that got a lot of people's attention and expanded those concepts over the years then they would definitely be doing better. I can imagine Nintendo announcing a new FPS IP that captures that multiplayer competitiveness that Goldeneye and Perfect Dark had and create a great online experience around it and a lot of people doing a 180 on this board about FPSs and online play.
#2S_K_FPosted 8/19/2014 10:46:09 AM
At the time, I played N64 (and GBC) exclusively. I got the GCN shortly after release, and both Wii & Wii U at launch. Each one of those systems I loved, but I also have enjoyed many online games across DS/3DS/Wii/Wii U/PS3/360, such as Smash Bros Brawl, Mario Kart DS/7/8, Metroid Prime Hunters, Metal Gear Solid 4, Borderlands 2, the last 5 CODs, MAG, and Mass Effect 3.
---
"I fully expected RickRoll but holy crap, that video was amazing. OP delivers. Have the OP of the Year 2014 award." - georgethecow4
#3Groudon199Posted 8/19/2014 10:57:17 AM
I preferred N64 over PS1 back then because I didn't like the load times on PS1 games. Why should I have to wait through 10-15 seconds of mid-game loading when Nintendo stuff only takes a second? I still played PS1 stuff, but it wasn't my main console.
---
Replace "it's" with "it is". If it doesn't make sense, use "its".
Same idea with "your" and "you're".
#4Flare7Posted 8/19/2014 10:58:29 AM
N64 is one of my favorite consoles, although I can admit it isn't overly amazing. I just have the best gaming memories on it with all of my friends growing up.
---
Currently playing: Wind Waker HD
#5Joey-ZazaPosted 8/19/2014 11:00:49 AM
Name some of the worst N64 games ever created:

Milo's Astro Lanes!
Iggy's Wrecking Ball
Chopper Attack
---
"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed." - The Dark Tower I
#6Flare7Posted 8/19/2014 11:01:07 AM
Joey-Zaza posted...
Name some of the worst N64 games ever created:

Milo's Astro Lanes!
Iggy's Wrecking Ball
Chopper Attack

No
---
Currently playing: Wind Waker HD
#7EasterEggHunterPosted 8/19/2014 11:03:01 AM
The n64 would have sold much better had they not used cartridges.

The gamecube wouldve sold much better had they not used mini discs
---
Do not engage this account at night.
#8Wii_TruthPosted 8/19/2014 11:09:16 AM
baseless assumptions and trigger-happy generalizations ITT
---
You want Wii Truth? You can't handle Wii Truth!!
#9sketchturnerPosted 8/19/2014 11:40:19 AM
In response to the initial question, yes I was a big fan of N64 and am also a big fan of WiiU.

In response to the overall TC's post, I largely agree with you. Halo in particular owes a great deal of its success to the fact that it filled in a gaming void in the absence of Nintendo having the next great follow-up to Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. I think the N64 fans who enjoyed the FPS scene moved onto other systems since Nintendo failed to cater to them.

That being said, I think a lot of Nintendo fans primarily enjoy a certain type of FPS. Call of Duty and Halo aren't really their thing. But arcadey games like TimeSplitters are. I think if Nintendo would make an FPS with that sort of feel, it could do very well.
---
Now Playing:Bit.Trip.Runner 2, Shovel Knight, Super Mario 3D World
#10Merc123Posted 8/19/2014 11:45:28 AM
I like my Wii U and N64 was great back in the day for Smash and Mario Kart with friends but i was a PS1 fan more than N64. I would take THPS, Spyro, Crash, Ape Escape, Driver and Theme Park over anything the N64.
---
3DS FC 1719-3711-0721
Gamertag - Brokeslimjim v3 / PSN - Brokeslimjim