Non-Nintendo games that feel like Nintendo games

#41ShinChuckPosted 8/26/2014 1:57:36 AM
TheMisterManGuy posted...
Skies of Arcadia - It has the bright and whimsical tone Nintendo is known for, but with traditional JRPG combat, so I could see one of their RPG studios making it.

I think it's more of a Sega/Nintendo overlap than Skies specifically. There's an element of overlap with Nintendo and Sega with the bright and whimsical. Is there anything more bright and whimsical than NiGHTS into Dreams? Sega's cut out it's own niche with brighter, happier stuff too.

Not saying Skies doesn't feel Nintendoy with the tone, just that it feels moreso quintessentially Sega. Bright, cheerful, inventive, different from the norm at the time, some odd flaws (something Nintendo doesn't often have!) that make it seem very Sega, but still quite inspired.

/segafanboy
---
GamerTag: ShinChuck, PSN: ShinChuck1
http://homepage.mac.com/shinchuck - Video games, YouTube, Deviantart, Etcetera.
#42Tenchi UKPosted 8/27/2014 2:48:18 PM
SuperNeonManGuy posted...
cris1ussen posted...
Neonwarrior1243 posted...
iKhanic posted...
Pink_a_Dink posted...
LittleBigPlanet. Just look at it!

Nintendo doesn't make ugly, underwhelming games.

You going to say the same thing about Yarn Yoshi? They have similar graphics.

Actually Yoshi's Story (N64) is very similar to LittleBigPlanet (and also Tearaway)

yoshi's story was wool, paper and denim... little big planet is just scrap...
Yoshi's story looked good , yarn yoshi looks good, tearaway looks good, littlebigplanet looks awful.

doesnt lbp have wool paper and denim available?
---
Pear into Peaches!
#43omniryuPosted 8/29/2014 10:31:15 PM
Costume quest and trine.
---
PSN ID: Omniryu; Skype: Ryan.cox43
Gamertag: Omniryu
#44Slave 1Posted 8/29/2014 10:38:08 PM
Bomberman
Scribblenauts
Super Monkey Ball
---
Boise State Broncos
Video Game Backlog Count: 13
#45ThunderSealPosted 9/2/2014 7:41:21 PM
Phoenix wright
Professor Layton
Mega man
---
Coca-Cola supports the genocide of Muslims! Boycott Coca-Cola!
#46NeonYoshi11Posted 9/3/2014 3:42:05 PM
What do you think are games not made or published by Nintendo, but feel Nintendo-esque in spirit? Here's my picks....

Klonoa - An inventive gameplay mechanic with a lush, Dream-like atmosphere..... And when it needs to, it can get pretty dark.

Ratchet & Clank - This is a concept a certainly could see Nintendo doing. Blowing up giant robots with cartoonishly over-the-top weapons? Sounds like a Nintendo game to me.

Skies of Arcadia - It has the bright and whimsical tone Nintendo is known for, but with traditional JRPG combat, so I could see one of their RPG studios making it.

SSX - Personaly, this game screams Sega more than Nintendo, but it it was a unique take on the Snowboarding genre and in concept, certainly sounds like what Nintendo would do, as opposed to doing the more realistic 1080 series.

Hat in Time.

It's like Wind Waker + Mario 64
#47manmousePosted 9/3/2014 3:57:03 PM
IzuZkb posted...
PrincessTsuki posted...
Megaman Anything: I guess the overall serious yet cartoonish atmosphere feels very Nintendo-like. I guess being nearly exclusive to Nintendo systems helps.

Most of the X and Legend series weren't on Nintendo platforms.

plus MM8 was Sega Saturn and PS1, and not on N64.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY
#48WestelIPosted 9/3/2014 3:58:30 PM
Haha, thanks TC. I had a good laugh.
#49Fenrir-JuubiPosted 9/3/2014 4:00:21 PM
Nintendo created mascot platformers as a genre, so it's no surprise that a lot of platform games starring animals or other creatures that lok silly seem Nintendo-like. And yes, that includes Sonic This Series Keeps Going Hedgehog.
---
"Now, struggle! Suffer! Kill! Show me! Dance around like the little Xbots you are! Your sad, wretched screams will open up the FIFTH CONSOLE WAR!"
#50manmousePosted 9/3/2014 4:32:54 PM
ShinChuck posted...

I think it's more of a Sega/Nintendo overlap than Skies specifically. There's an element of overlap with Nintendo and Sega with the bright and whimsical. Is there anything more bright and whimsical than NiGHTS into Dreams? Sega's cut out it's own niche with brighter, happier stuff too.

Not saying Skies doesn't feel Nintendoy with the tone, just that it feels moreso quintessentially Sega. Bright, cheerful, inventive, different from the norm at the time, some odd flaws (something Nintendo doesn't often have!) that make it seem very Sega, but still quite inspired.

/segafanboy

i definitely agree.

Nintendo's whimsy was more of a dreamy fantasy style. and its attitude was more wonderous, with more humble heroes who accept their duties without issue and such.

Sega's whimsy was more funky, more dynamic, more scifi, cyberpunk and steampunk, with and attitude that was contrary to Nintendo's humble dutiful hero style, and more about heroes who were big fish in small ponds, who were always looking for better and better things.

you can even see a clear difference in philosophy with their two flagship platformers (in their core forms, Mario overall and Sonic pre-boost):

Mario's levels have ground that is either flat, or 45* even slopes. you bounce exclusively from your feet at one specific arc, and your health depletes in a way that makes you need caution. it's a level design that makes every one of your moves deliberate and nuanced. it's about control and you never feel like you have to get a hang of controlling this more tame character, it's very in touch with you and outside of ice levels there's not many external forces making you respond to how they impose upon you.

Sonic's (Genesis, 32X, SegaCD, Master System/Game Gear, and kinda Dreamcast too) levels are a hybrid of a skatepark and pinball machine, with ramps and halfpipes and bumpers and catapults and springs. overall they're designed to keep you moving, flowing, and responding to your environment at every moment almost like you're skateboarding. the more you resist the flow, the clunkier your experience will be, but once you know how to work with the motion (how to gain speed in tight spots, how to dodge enemies faster, how to respond to the changing ground shapes), you can master levels and blaze through them with a ton of style. also, Sonic jumps in ball form, so naturally instead of Mario only using his flat feet, Sonic bounces from any point of his body and at most points of his enemies' bodies (unless they have spikes or flames in a spot),which also makes your jump/bounce arc more complex since there are a lot of angles to bounce from, leading to a more wild freestyle way of playing, less calculated and subtle. also with rings, your health depletes in a way that allows you to wildly recollect a piece of it and keep moving, therefore still enforcing the same philosophy of movement.

essentially, Nintendo is the bike, Sega is the skateboard.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY