When was the last time Nintendo created a commercially successful IP?

#1vermilion99Posted 8/20/2014 6:58:10 AM
I keep seeing arguments that Nintendo are the only ones that innovate and 3rd parties rely on the same generic franchises year after year. Yet, when you look at the most popular games on the WiiU, all of the franchises have been around for 20 years or more. 2 Mario games, Donkey Kong Country, Windwaker HD, and Mario Kart. Smash is the biggest game releasing this year and it's a nearly 20 year old franchise.

Nothing wrong with those games, but Nintendo relies on their franchises much more than 3rd parties. When I look at the most popular genres and games from around 1996-present, it seems like each generation had new IPs and genres become popular while the biggest games on the Nintendo consoles were still the Mario, Zelda, and Metroid games. The only games I can think of are Pikmin and Animal Crossing. Pikmin was released in 2002 and Animal Crossing was originally released on the N64DD in Japan I believe. It's clearly been awhile.

I guess I could have counted Wii Sports but it appeared to be just a flash in the pan and nobody has interest in it anymore. So when was the last time Nintendo made a commercially successful brand new IP?
#2DarkAdonis123Posted 8/20/2014 6:59:01 AM
Wii Sports probably.
---
If Platinum was HAND drawn, she'd be on paper, fool. This is a video game. They just made her on screen, no "drawing" involved -Delano7 on BlazBlue
#3winston28singlePosted 8/20/2014 6:59:18 AM
tamadotchi life
#4KevaSanPosted 8/20/2014 7:00:36 AM
From my experiences and what I've seen, Nintendo is less keen on creating brand new IPs rather than spin-offs from their existing IPs.

I guess the Miis are something like an IP, they appear in many different games (Wii Sports, for one).
#5MoreLemonPledgePosted 8/20/2014 7:03:00 AM
winston28single posted...
tamadotchi life

Yeah, Tomodachi Life is probably the most recent one.
---
A piece of hardware is only dead when the company gives up on it. P.S, Indie shovelware doesn't count as support.
#6iKhanicPosted 8/20/2014 7:03:16 AM
People need to understand that part of the reason Nintendo franchises are successful is because they feel safe. A new Nintendo IP isn't safe, so it takes a while to catch on, because it relies on new kids to adopt it and feel comfortable with it.
---
"Well, they sure don't make evil immortal sorcerers like they used to." - Klarion the Witch Boy
#7winston28singlePosted 8/20/2014 7:03:35 AM
MoreLemonPledge posted...
winston28single posted...
tamadotchi life

Yeah, Tomodachi Life is probably the most recent one.

ok lol.

But shows TC's ignorance.
#8vermilion99(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2014 7:05:29 AM
KevaSan posted...
From my experiences and what I've seen, Nintendo is less keen on creating brand new IPs rather than spin-offs from their existing IPs.

I guess the Miis are something like an IP, they appear in many different games (Wii Sports, for one).

It just seems like a silly argument that Nintendo is a breath of fresh air in gaming when they rely on their most popular franchises just like most other companies. Just seems to me 3rd parties are are at least willing to put big money into new IPs from time to time to see if they become a hit.
#9SonytendoPosted 8/20/2014 7:06:23 AM
Last ones I can think of was Wii Music and Tomodachi Collection in 2009. Xenoblade Chronicles likely will turn out to not be a commercially successful series between unknown sales of the first and the probable bombing of X.
#10VRX3000Posted 8/20/2014 7:06:28 AM
Um...Pushmo? Dillon's Rolling Western? Fluidity?

How are you defining commercially successful? Because if we're going by "made back it's budget" I don;t think Nintendo ever made one that didn't. Even Wii Music eventually sold 5 million units.
---
I'm really starting to think mods hate me. no...it's official now.