When was the last time Nintendo created a commercially successful IP?

#41rockusPosted 8/20/2014 11:57:18 AM
TullyBlanchard posted...
VRX3000 posted...
TullyBlanchard posted...
VRX3000 posted...
Um...Pushmo? Dillon's Rolling Western? Fluidity?

lol, no sir. You've got it all wrong.

And mind explaining why?

I can't, in good conscience, count indie games as a potential successful IP.

First, digitally distributed games aren't inherently indie games, learn the meaning of words.

Second, there's no reason indie games can't be defined as commercially successful IPs.

Not only is your comment flat out wrong, even if it wasn't it would still be absurd.
---
http://thetramp.dvdaf.com/
#42TullyBlanchardPosted 8/20/2014 12:09:21 PM
rockus posted...
TullyBlanchard posted...
VRX3000 posted...
TullyBlanchard posted...
VRX3000 posted...
Um...Pushmo? Dillon's Rolling Western? Fluidity?

lol, no sir. You've got it all wrong.

And mind explaining why?

I can't, in good conscience, count indie games as a potential successful IP.

First, digitally distributed games aren't inherently indie games, learn the meaning of words.

Second, there's no reason indie games can't be defined as commercially successful IPs.

Not only is your comment flat out wrong, even if it wasn't it would still be absurd.

Alright, good talk.
---
PSN and Nintendo Network ID: Dagatassy
#43MoreLemonPledgePosted 8/20/2014 12:13:31 PM
Street_Overlord posted...
I don't even recall Tomodachi life blowing up until all that talk about homosexuality being excluded from it. Which, I'm sure people were just being half serious about from the get go. So it still needed some external publicity.

That's wrong. It blew up when Nintendo uploaded the direct onto their YouTube channel.
Other than that, the game received a huge marketing push. It was advertised on multiple channels, including Disney, and they had multiple sponsors like Shaq, Christina Aguilera, and well known Disney stars.

It was also a commercial succen in Japan before the whole homosexuality issue.

Don't try to downplay the success of an IP.
---
A piece of hardware is only dead when the company gives up on it. P.S, Indie shovelware doesn't count as support.
#44ThunderSealPosted 8/20/2014 12:42:18 PM
Codename: S.T.E.A.M
---
Coca-Cola supports the genocide of Muslims! Boycott Coca-Cola!
#45Street_OverlordPosted 8/20/2014 3:50:25 PM
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to downplay it in any way. I know the game was selling and doing well, but it really didn't seem like it was causing huge stir up until the homosexuality thing.

Heck, I remember big time news networks bringing that up with headlines like "Nintendo against Gay rights?"
#46CubeTVPosted 8/20/2014 3:55:41 PM
Nothing for Wii U, that's for sure. I know Pushmo, Dillon's Rolling Western, Tomodachi Life were all successful though. With Tomodachi Life, Nintendo actually marketed it and treated it good instead of just pushing it on the curve like The not-so Wonderful 101 (since Nintendo hates the Wii U).
---
Even though I like the Wii U, I do not consider it a Nintendo system.
#47Lemon_MasterPosted 8/20/2014 4:54:00 PM
MoreLemonPledge posted...
winston28single posted...
tamadotchi life

Yeah, Tomodachi Life is probably the most recent one.

I know there was a DS game but I don't know how well it did in Japan.