So since Nintendo said it was waiting until Wii U owners are 'satisfied'

#11AstralFrostPosted 8/20/2014 2:58:20 PM
Sometime in 2015 I expect Nintendo will announce:

"We're proud to announce that the Wii U has reached the homes of over 7 million satisfied customers!"

*scattered slowclapping*

"With that in mind, we'd like to officially unveil our new console, the Wii Too, out late 2016!"
---
Man at this rate I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Iwata committed sudoku on himself
#12godplaysSNESPosted 8/20/2014 3:01:45 PM
A new console in 2016 would be reasonable. Only a four year lifespan, but the original Xbox also got replaced in the same timeframe.
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#13SerpenttinePosted 8/20/2014 3:26:12 PM(edited)
What would the new nintendo system offer that playstation/xbox doesn't already provide that would attract gamers? I can't imagine Nintendo becoming highly successful with a home console again, should team up with sony and provide playstation with the games.
---
3DS FC: 0189-9480-3816
#14ProzacMessiahPosted 8/20/2014 3:35:19 PM
n00bsaib0t posted...
The Wii already proved its about quality, not power. It's time for WiiU to do the same.

The Wii proved that appealing to casuals/non-gamers is not a sustainable business strategy for a console manufacturer. Indirectly, the Wii showed it is about power. Core gamers accelerated their migration to Sony and Microsoft platforms. Nintendo made a lot of money selling non-gamers their first console, but very few have come back for a second.

I've never owned a Wii. Were Nintendo's Wii games of noticeably higher quality than its Wii U titles? I know the Wii had greater a quantity games when all publishers are considered.

I agree that it would be unwise for Nintendo to abandon the Wii U prematurely, and that they should be designing a console that will be hardware-competitive with the next generation Playstation/Xbox.
#15n00bsaib0tPosted 8/20/2014 4:00:09 PM
ProzacMessiah posted...
n00bsaib0t posted...
The Wii already proved its about quality, not power. It's time for WiiU to do the same.

The Wii proved that appealing to casuals/non-gamers is not a sustainable business strategy for a console manufacturer. Indirectly, the Wii showed it is about power. Core gamers accelerated their migration to Sony and Microsoft platforms. Nintendo made a lot of money selling non-gamers their first console, but very few have come back for a second.

I've never owned a Wii. Were Nintendo's Wii games of noticeably higher quality than its Wii U titles? I know the Wii had greater a quantity games when all publishers are considered.

I agree that it would be unwise for Nintendo to abandon the Wii U prematurely, and that they should be designing a console that will be hardware-competitive with the next generation Playstation/Xbox.

Nintendo's Wii and WiiU games are more or less the same quality. People tend to realize the Wii games are good over the WiiU ones because, well, more than a couple hundred thousand people have played them.

But my point was that Nintendo had shown us last gen that console strength doesn't dictate game quality. Super Mario Galaxy was as good as the best PS3 and 360 games. There's a reason people are requesting that kind of 3D Mario over 3D World. Not that 3D World is bad, it's one of the best games on the console. But it gets a lot of flack from people because it's not Galaxy 3, which isn't really fair and ruins perception of the game, because for what it is and what it was meant to be, it's damn good.

Then there is Tropical Freeze, easier than Returns in some ways, harder in others. Almost unanimously agreed to be the best platformer on the WiiU, and better than Returns over all. Sold poorly though, god knows why.

But yeah, Wii games, there's a lot of shovelware, but a lot of quality titles as well that got no advertising. Muramasa, for example. One of the most hyped Vita games over on the Vita board, it's a port of a Wii title. I know id never heard of it until the Vita version was announced. The Wii also got pretty good ports of multiplats, like the WWE games up to 13. The Rock Band and Guitar Hero games were good too, although you naturally were more restricted with DLC since the SD card slot only supports up to 32gb.

If you're a fan of DDR, Konami switched to the Wii for the "flagship" titles, when the arcade versions started referencing Wii instead of PS2 (where most games went), Xbox, 360 and PS3 (never officially referenced, songs brought over to arcade from there got new art work and often re-stepped, and labeled as from different games), that was real Wii support. The song Gold Rush lists all the "canon" titles, and it lists the Wii versions. This is from 2011 too, it ignores the games on the more powerful titles. The Wii wasn't just left in the dust because of its lack of power, and has a lot of really good games.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#16ProzacMessiahPosted 8/20/2014 7:37:40 PM
Thanks for your reply. You have much more experience with the latest Nintendo 3D platformers than I do, and you've reminded me that I need to get on my copy of SM3DW.

Certainly there are excellent games for both the Wii and Wii U, despite their lesser processing power relative to their Sony and Microsoft competitors. However, there's been a huge drop in sales between the Wii and the Wii U. It's more than poor marketing can account for, in my opinion.

Nintendo has been in decline since the N64, so inferior processing power is not the origin of their issues. It's a new problem they created for themselves with the Wii. The Wii's success was an anomaly. It had strong appeal to casuals and non-gamers, and those sales masked the fact that the core gaming market was continuing to lose interest in Nintendo as a go-to platform. The major reasons for that were likely its motion control bias, poor online services, inferior processing power, and lack of HD output. The big third party franchises almost all either skip the Wii/Wii U, or have their most uninspired version on those platforms. This will only get worse now that the Wii U faces Sony and Microsoft Gen8 rather than Gen7 systems. In deciding not to compete in the hardware sphere, Nintendo is choosing to ghettoize itself--in the older sense of the term. DDR may have been an exception, but the trend is clear.

This wouldn't be a (business) problem if the casuals/non-gamers that drove Wii sales past the 100 million mark were buying Wii Us, but they're not. Gamers game; everyone else is just passing through. I expect this is what's driving Nintendo's talk of a "lifestyle console," whatever that means. Anyways, good gameplay isn't wholly dependent on hardware capability, and powerful hardware is not a guarantor of good gameplay, but all else being equal, gamers and developers would rather have powerful hardware than not. And they have better options.
#17SegavsCapcomPosted 8/20/2014 8:21:28 PM
DiscostewSM posted...
They gotta make the new console before they can release it. It's still a couple of years away.

---
My sig will never happen, but it would be awesome if it did.
3DS FC: 1306-5920-0665 _PSN: SegavsCapcom_ Steam: SegavsCapcom_NNID: SegavsCapcom
#18driver892Posted 8/20/2014 9:00:52 PM
AstralFrost posted...
Sometime in 2015 I expect Nintendo will announce:

"We're proud to announce that the Wii U has reached the homes of over 7 million satisfied customers!"

*scattered slowclapping*

"With that in mind, we'd like to officially unveil our new console, the Wii Too, out late 2016!"

Uh, the Wii U so far sold 6.68 million consoles, and it's late-August, so I may think sales can probably pick up. Hopefully if Nintendo can pick up in terms of its games or VC, and then there's the black Friday and holiday sales, so who knows? Maybe Wii U can pick up a little. However, I'm not very optimistic about that.
---
So many games to play, so little time to play them, so many things to do.
#19driver892Posted 8/20/2014 9:02:23 PM
ProzacMessiah posted...
Nintendo has been in decline since the N64, so inferior processing power is not the origin of their issues. It's a new problem they created for themselves with the Wii. The Wii's success was an anomaly. It had strong appeal to casuals and non-gamers, and those sales masked the fact that the core gaming market was continuing to lose interest in Nintendo as a go-to platform. The major reasons for that were likely its motion control bias, poor online services, inferior processing power, and lack of HD output. The big third party franchises almost all either skip the Wii/Wii U, or have their most uninspired version on those platforms. This will only get worse now that the Wii U faces Sony and Microsoft Gen8 rather than Gen7 systems. In deciding not to compete in the hardware sphere, Nintendo is choosing to ghettoize itself--in the older sense of the term. DDR may have been an exception, but the trend is clear.

This wouldn't be a (business) problem if the casuals/non-gamers that drove Wii sales past the 100 million mark were buying Wii Us, but they're not. Gamers game; everyone else is just passing through. I expect this is what's driving Nintendo's talk of a "lifestyle console," whatever that means. Anyways, good gameplay isn't wholly dependent on hardware capability, and powerful hardware is not a guarantor of good gameplay, but all else being equal, gamers and developers would rather have powerful hardware than not. And they have better options.

^ Pretty much
---
So many games to play, so little time to play them, so many things to do.
#20Kosten_ReiPosted 8/20/2014 9:14:08 PM
driver892 posted...
This will only get worse now that the Wii U faces Sony and Microsoft Gen8 rather than Gen7 systems.

4 VS 1. They need a good plan, if they even have one.
---
2016 - Out with the zombies in with some HoRRoR