What old Zelda games can I play on the Wii U and other classics?

#1ShatterStrPosted 8/20/2014 4:31:25 PM
I'm thinking of getting a Wii U soon. I've neglected to buy anything Nintendo for a while. I totally ignored the Wii because I hated the controller. Now I'm looking forward to playing the Wii U due to the introduction of the Wii U Pro Controller. I am looking for games compatible with the pro controller, maybe the screen controller too, but not interested in nunchuck Wiimote.
I'd love to play Twilight Princess if possible and any handheld releases I might have missed. Do I need a 3DS for handhelds or are some compatible with Wii U? Last Zelda I played was the one for SNES.
My other interests are Metroid, F-Zero, Mario. Games Nintendo is know for.
#2mra823Posted 8/20/2014 4:56:08 PM
Many GBA, SNES and NES games are available, so probably most if not all of those Zelda games. N64 games are on the Wii EShop too (through the Wii section of the Wii U), however a special controller is required. I believe a few F-Zero and Metroid games are on the Eshop and of course the Wii games are backwards compatible. Old mario games are plentiful (1, 2, 3, SM World, Kart, etc.) and I would also recommend strongly 3d World and MK8. Also, remember Wind Waker HD is a gamecube Zelda remake that feels brand new, so would highly recommend that. The Wii U is a great console, Id highly recommend it.
---
"If you're having a dark day, it's probably night"
~I'm not clever enough to come up with this, but I can't remember who did...
#3mra823Posted 8/20/2014 4:56:37 PM
Also, club nintendo sometimes gives games away
---
"If you're having a dark day, it's probably night"
~I'm not clever enough to come up with this, but I can't remember who did...
#4burningxbridgesPosted 8/20/2014 8:21:30 PM
Zelda games available on Wii U eShop:
- The Legend of Zelda (NES)
- Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (NES)
- Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
- Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
- Wind Waker HD (Wii U)

Zelda games available on Wii shop not available in eShop, through Wii U (you will need a wiimote and the classic controller attachment to play these titles):
- Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)
- Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64)

And if you're interested in getting a 3DS, which I recommend, here are the games only available on its eShop:
- Zelda: Oracle of Ages (GBC)
- Zelda: Oracles of Seasons (GBC)
- Zelda: Link's Awakening DX (GBC)
- Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3DS (3DS, a remake of the N64 game)
- Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS, a sequel to the SNES game)

Also, you can get both of these systems from Nintendo's online store for cheap. $200 for a deluxe Wii U, and $90 - $135 for the 3DS, depending on the model. They are refurbished, but they are incredibly high quality with warranty, and packaged and look exactly like new. You would swear they were new if it didn't say "refurbished" on the box. store.nintendo.com

Hope this helps.
#5ShatterStr(Topic Creator)Posted 8/21/2014 4:45:40 PM
Thanks. Definitely plan on getting MK8 and want to try those 3ds games among the others.