What if a new Mother game was announced for the Wii U but...

#1lilburritoPosted 8/22/2014 6:43:50 AM
Would you be open to this type of change? - Results (132 votes)
Yeah. As long as it retains everything else that makes it "Mother" then why not?
53.79% (71 votes)
No, I think the art style is part of what defines the "Mother" series.
17.42% (23 votes)
It depends on how it's done.
22.73% (30 votes)
I think anime art styles are too commonplace in JRPGS. If anything this is a breath of fresh air!
1.52% (2 votes)
Other
4.55% (6 votes)
This poll is now closed.
It received an anime-esque cel-shaded art style? Nothing else would be lost other than the art style. The quirkiness will still be there, the unexpected tear jerkers, the REALLY weird enemies, etc. Now would that change turn you off?

The reason I'm asking this is because of the "JRPG" situation on the Wii U. It doesn't really have much going for it other than Xenoblade Chronicles X and the yet to leave Japan Dragon Quest game.

The Mother series has an incredibly devoted fan base, but "I think" if the game were to be released in this day and age it would be put off by a lot of people because of it's art style. And yes I think that applies to regular JRPG gamers as well. The tropes of regular JRPGs would be so heavily engrained in those gamers that it'd make them incapable of seeing anything beyond the "surface" of a Mother game ( At least that's how I see it ). In other words they'd think it to be "too" cartoony/terrible looking. So give them an art style that's appealing to the eye, sort of like how Ni No Kuni stands out when you look at it.

I also think the Mother series would benefit greatly from it because of..well...Zelda. It's a bit random but the main towns in Zelda games "always' have these unique, bright and colourful cast of people inhabiting them. And you can see that personality/character oozing out from "just" their character designs. The Mother games are filled with those types of characters, and I really think this type of art style would help in bringing the world to life and it's people to life.

So yeah, would you be open to this kind of change or not? Let me know please!
---
"Henshin A Go-Go Baby!"
#2fuzi11Posted 8/22/2014 7:02:50 AM
other: wouldn't buy it anyway
#3SegavsCapcomPosted 8/22/2014 7:05:48 AM
It's Mother. Artstyle isn't really that important to Mother.
---
My sig will never happen, but it would be awesome if it did.
3DS FC: 1306-5920-0665 _PSN: SegavsCapcom_ Steam: SegavsCapcom_NNID: SegavsCapcom
#4Parzival655321Posted 8/22/2014 7:06:57 AM
#1 for me... the art style never mattered to me. that said, if something was photo-realistic, I think it would lose the playful tone that the series has and I wouldnt opt for that. Earthbound while it sometimes deals with serious elements is not meant to be taken seriously.
#5Matts-TiiPosted 8/22/2014 7:42:42 AM
Nope, do not like japanese art style anime crap
#6Stanger5150Posted 8/22/2014 7:46:45 AM
Mother is a perfect candidate for that kind of art style, IMO.
---
PSN/NN: BlackRain8782
2600, NES, SMS, GB, Lynx, Genesis, TG16, SNES, Game Gear, Jaguar, PS1, Saturn, N64, GBC, DC, PS2, GCN, GBA, DS, Wii, PS3, 3DS, Wii U, PS4
#7Stanger5150Posted 8/22/2014 7:48:09 AM
SegavsCapcom posted...
It's Mother. Artstyle isn't really that important to Mother.

Father, on the other hand, is a stone cold graphics whore. Mother gets very annoyed.
---
PSN/NN: BlackRain8782
2600, NES, SMS, GB, Lynx, Genesis, TG16, SNES, Game Gear, Jaguar, PS1, Saturn, N64, GBC, DC, PS2, GCN, GBA, DS, Wii, PS3, 3DS, Wii U, PS4
#8sketchturnerPosted 8/22/2014 8:21:37 AM
Other: I don't play RPGs.
---
Now Playing:Bit.Trip.Runner 2, Shovel Knight, Super Mario 3D World
#9NathanmgPosted 8/22/2014 8:22:19 AM
I'm fine with ALL art styles given it's appropriate for the material.
#10Flare7Posted 8/22/2014 8:22:37 AM
Other, not interested in the series
---
Currently playing: Uncharted 2