What do you do when you get stuck in a game?

#1xnn3882Posted 8/22/2014 9:23:23 PM
Say you get stuck on a puzzle in a Zelda game, what do you do? - Results (33 votes)
I give up and never play the game again
6.06% (2 votes)
I continue intil I can figure it out
21.21% (7 votes)
I take a break to think, or clear my mind
18.18% (6 votes)
I watch a let's play or walkthrough
24.24% (8 votes)
I ask a friend that played the game
0% (0 votes)
I ask here in gamefaqs/search the forums
9.09% (3 votes)
I ask in another forum/site cause I don't trust the users here
3.03% (1 votes)
I don't get stuck because I'm a pro
15.15% (5 votes)
I don't get stuck because games are so easy
0% (0 votes)
I don't play video games, so that has never happen to me
3.03% (1 votes)
This poll is now closed.
If I get stuck I will try my best to find the solution, but sometimes I just watch a let's play.
#2R_HunterPosted 8/22/2014 9:26:32 PM
First I try stuff on my own for no more than 15 minutes. If I cannot figure it out then, I take a break and brainstorm. I then come back and try again. I rinse and repeat for no more than a week.

If by that point something STILL has me stumped, i'll look it up/ask friends.

Going by your poll, I suppose i'll go with the break answer.
---
NNID: EclipseHunter 3DS FC: 1719-4517-0303
Official Xion of the KHIII Board
#3PS4WarriorPosted 8/22/2014 9:28:03 PM
Usually if its an rpg i'll check things like in game journals and near NPCS to see if i can figure it out. Once i can't i usually just check an faq.
#4coreekymonPosted 8/22/2014 9:30:11 PM
95% of the time I just keep at it until I figure it out. If it's really really giving me a hard time then I might look at a walkthrough.

One exception, I have absolutely no problem using guides or wikis to find items for fetch quests. Ain't no way I'm spending my time searching everywhere to find a stupid item for a stupid quest.
---
http://psnprofiles.com/coreekymon
3DS FC: 3695-0124-0339
#5R_HunterPosted 8/22/2014 9:32:49 PM
coreekymon posted...
95% of the time I just keep at it until I figure it out. If it's really really giving me a hard time then I might look at a walkthrough.

One exception, I have absolutely no problem using guides or wikis to find items for fetch quests. Ain't no way I'm spending my time searching everywhere to find a stupid item for a stupid quest.

To add to that, i'll look up drop rates for items in RPGs. If something's going to have a 1 in 50 drop chance, I want to know so I can plan accordingly.
---
NNID: EclipseHunter 3DS FC: 1719-4517-0303
Official Xion of the KHIII Board
#6hyena7890Posted 8/22/2014 9:46:40 PM
i'll take a break and then come back, if i'm not enjoying myself i may just look it up in an FAQ here or on YouTube.
---
Oh my golly
#7PS4WarriorPosted 8/22/2014 9:52:36 PM
R_Hunter posted...
coreekymon posted...

To add to that, i'll look up drop rates for items in RPGs. If something's going to have a 1 in 50 drop chance, I want to know so I can plan accordingly.

Eesh, i try not to look up drop rates. That crap would irritate and take away any idea of my trying to get the item if its like 1 in 50, 1 in 100, etc.
#8userfrigginamePosted 8/22/2014 9:57:22 PM
I'll look up a walkthrough. I hate going to LPs to look up what to do, cuz the person usually doesn't even have much knowledge of what they're doing. They're just playing through it, and it wastes my time to just watch them figure stuff out. Walkthroughs actually have ppl who've played it enough, who know what they're doing, and give advice along the way.
#9Shadowbird_RHPosted 8/22/2014 10:04:04 PM
Just the other day I couldn't figure out how to enter the Pirate's Cove in Majora's Mask. I didn't know if there was an item I had to get, an event I had to trigger, a mask I had to find, or what. I spent a cycle or two trying everything I could or solving other objectives, hoping that I'd figure it out along the way.

When I ran out of things to do, I finally decided to check a faq. "ram it" What? That's it? Attacking the panel was the first thing I tried and it didn't work, why would swimming into it work?! Indeed, that was the solution. I wasn't sure If I should feel stupid, or if I should feel that the game is stupid.

Later in the dungeon, the last stray fairy, in an underwater barrel under a see-saw thing. I spent a while trying to figure out how to bust it open. Couldn't goron punch it or bomb it, fire arrows wouldn't work, I couldn't find a way to lower the water level, so I got clever. I put on the bomb mask, hit the barrel with the hookshot, and detonated. The barrel broke and I got the last stray fairy there. Still, I wondered if Nintendo intended that as the solution, so I looked it up.

Seriously?? Roll into the barrel as Zora-Link?? That's ALL?! I didn't even know Zora-Link could even DO that! Where in the game do they teach you that crashing into things is such an effective method of destruction?!

I've since included rolling/crashing into things as one of the first things to try when trying to figure something out.
---
Surrender and I will destroy you peacefully.
R.E.G.I.S. mk5 - Megas XLR
#10SyCo_VeNoMPosted 8/22/2014 10:55:56 PM(edited)
Only Zelda I can say I got stuck in to the point I had to look up a faq was LOZ:ALBW, and that was because I completely missed getting the pegasus boots as I had no idea they were even in it. I ended up getting them VERY late in the game(like 1 dungeon left late). After I got them I was like DAMN this game would have been a lot easier if I got them right away.
Other then that one time I can't say I've ever needed a faq for the more recent ones.

Now prior to faqs existing I did use the over world map for the original Zelda from Nintendo Power when I was like 7 or 8 as I couldn't figure out where a few of the dungeons were as some were hidden under random bushes, or rocks with nothing pointing them out, or even giving a hint.

(I don't count zelda 2 as I hated that game to the point I quit after 5 mins)

Other then those 2 I found most zeldas well made to the point faqs were not needed