What Do You Think Nintendo Should Do for Their Next Console?

#1SampsonMPosted 8/23/2014 11:48:17 AM
What do you think? - Results (124 votes)
Powerful/expensive hardware and standard controller to compete with PS/Xbox
40.32% (50 votes)
Come up with a completely new type of controller again
12.9% (16 votes)
Cheapest possible console (sub $200) with Wii motes or Pro controllers
7.26% (9 votes)
Hybrid portable/living room system
31.45% (39 votes)
Other
8.06% (10 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Curious what you guys think. Frankly, if Nintendo can figure out how to make a decent online network and repair their relationships with third parties, I'd like to see them return to the main stage and take on Xbox/PlayStation.

I doubt they will do this, but I would love a powerful Nintendo console with their games and some actual third party support.

As a second option, cheapest possible console would make sense. I paid $300+ this generation to play Nintendo exclusives, but I don't think I'll be willing to do that again.
---
An artist is a creature driven by demons. He dont know why they choose him and hes usually too busy to wonder why.
#2LvthnPosted 8/23/2014 11:50:33 AM
Go handheld only and take a serious look into creating an online service for PC.

I'm sure I'll catch flames for it, but that's what I think would be the best move. The console market is starting to come apart at the seams.
#3Pyromaniac RoyPosted 8/23/2014 11:52:39 AM
If they make a new type of controller, they need to make games that actually use it to its fullest potential. Mario Kart 8, Super Mario 3D World, and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze are quite possibly the highest rated first-party games, and none of them make good use of the GamePad, so it's hard to expect third-parties to be any different.

I don't think the box itself needs to be as powerful as the PS5 and Xboxwhatever, but Nintendo needs to make developing for the system less of a hassle than the Wii U is. With that said, the hybrid seems like a very likely successor, since as much as Nintendo loves backwards compatibility, both will need two screens anyway.
---
"I solemnly swear that I aim to misbehave."
I write things. http://lordpitaya.wordpress.com/
#4SlimeSwayzePosted 8/23/2014 11:54:46 AM
I'd rather see them go third party than make another console.
---
Don't post something you'd be ashamed to show your parents or your children.
#5lunchbox2042Posted 8/23/2014 11:56:24 AM
SlimeSwayze posted...

Keep dreaming because it will likely never happen. They'd end up just sticking to the handheld market before developing a game for Sony or Microsoft.
#6Demon_AckerPosted 8/23/2014 11:57:55 AM
A console as powerful, if not more powerful than the other 2.
Then they'd have all the third parties and the best first parties.
---
http://i.minus.com/i9BFFFKqGH8Je.gif
#7lizard81288Posted 8/23/2014 11:59:10 AM
Actually Market it. Hopefully better than what they did with the wiiu. The only marketing it had at launch was, This isn't a Wii peripheral
---
I hate people in general.
http://w11.zetaboards.com/NPC/index/
#8LvthnPosted 8/23/2014 12:13:31 PM
lunchbox2042 posted...
SlimeSwayze posted...

Keep dreaming because it will likely never happen. They'd end up just sticking to the handheld market before developing a game for Sony or Microsoft.

Hence why I suggested a PC service. That's open platform so no "going to the competition", could have nonintrusive DRM built in the same way most such clients use, would leave the door open to secondary income (I'm guessing some kind of premium membership, I see them doing that), would completely eliminate the need to care about hardware restraints and silence anyone on the performance front, and really I think Nintendo cannot possibly be TOO concerned about piracy given that every single console except Wii U is already playably emulated. If anything, history has shown that offering a cheap and acceptable alternative cuts back on piracy. It's also by far the most profitable platform per sale.

It will also probably not happen, but that doesn't make it a bad idea. I actually doubt they'd lose much of their audience, the main inhibition for Nintendo would be concern that some fragment of the customer base would be both baffled and enraged by the fact that a GPU is needed. That's no doubt true, but I submit that those clueless customers will be replaced and then some by people who would gladly buy Nintendo games if they didn't have to pay $300+ for Nintendo hardware.
#9Granadico_Posted 8/23/2014 12:13:40 PM
Hybrid.
Even if they make a console just like them, they're still not gonna bend over like MS/Sony do, and they don't want to pay people for multiplats or timed exclusives or anything like that, so they're still gonna get the short end of the stick.
#10LinetrixPosted 8/23/2014 12:16:29 PM
lunchbox2042 posted...
Keep dreaming because it will likely never happen.

It's already happening, son. Try to keep up. They are making a game for iPad.
---
It's off-topic to talk about the online portion of TLoU. Only the single player campaign is allowed in TLoU's board. - GameFAQs mod