What kind of controllers should I get?

#1RedSevePosted 8/24/2014 11:12:41 AM
I personally didn't like the Wii and the Wii remotes, I'm not a big fan of motion control and I try to use the Wii classic controller whenever I've played a friends Wii

But I am interested in the Wii U for various reasons, but I'm curious what additional controllers I should buy

first of all it would seem like getting a wii classic controller or wii u pro controller might be a little unnecessary since the game pad probably works with most things, but can anyone tell me will i need a classic/pro controller to play older games I download? or will the wii u gamepad work with these and the classic/pro is only necessary for multiplayer?

second, are wii remotes necessary for many wii u games? I probably wont be playing too many games from the original wii, and would always prefer to use the gamepad or a classic/pro controller.

and finally should I be spending $40 on a wii remote plus, or wii u pro controller when I can get compatible controllers designed for the original wii cheaper? or have they updated them in necessary ways?
#2DiscostewSMPosted 8/24/2014 11:14:28 AM
All Wii U games use the Gamepad. Wii remotes are optional.
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#3LostsecretPosted 8/24/2014 11:22:13 AM
To summarize. All single player games can use the gamepad.

You will need the wii remote for a lot of multiplayer games.

The wii pro controller works with wii games. Most wii u games cannot be played with the original wii pro controller.

I prefer using the wii u pro controller over the game pad. So I recommend getting it. But you can definitely live without it.
---
It don't matter if you win by an inch or a mile. Winning's winning.
#4RedSeve(Topic Creator)Posted 8/24/2014 11:50:42 AM
so how about classic games I download, like from the N64, will the Wiiu gamepad work with them? or will I need a pro controller for those?
#5Dark_Link92Posted 8/24/2014 11:54:25 AM
Not N64, because they're only available through the Wii shop, which can't be used with the game pad. Just grab a couple of Wii motes and a pro controller.
---
2/8/2014- I officially predict Ridley playable in Smash 4. If he's not, I'll quietly change my signature and no one needs to remind me of this ever again.
#6rajin_donutsPosted 8/24/2014 12:00:35 PM
This is one of the problems with the Wii U. Why do I need 30 (exaggerating) different controllers for this system?
#7Groudon199Posted 8/24/2014 12:01:49 PM
Dark_Link92 posted...
Not N64, because they're only available through the Wii shop, which can't be used with the game pad. Just grab a couple of Wii motes and a pro controller.

Or a classic controller.

The button layout on that is better than the Pro controller's, plus it can be used to play N64 games on Wii VC.
---
Replace "it's" with "it is". If it doesn't make sense, use "its".
Same idea with "your" and "you're".
#8SampsonMPosted 8/24/2014 12:01:54 PM
Unfortunately, TC, this is a bit complex.

The Gamepad works with all Wii U games.

The Pro controller works with many more traditional style Wii U games. Games like Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, etc.

The Wii remote with motion plus is required to play some Wii U multiplayer games. Mostly your shovelware or party type games. Nintendo land, for example, requires it for some games. As does Wii Sports Club.

The traditional wii remote can be used for multiplayer with all the other Wii U games that do not require motion plus.

The classic controller is required for the Wii VC console games that need it. N64 games, for example, will require you to use the classic controller. Unfortunately, the Pro controller can only be used on games in the Wii U virtual console, which does not include N64 games or many others.
---
An artist is a creature driven by demons. He dont know why they choose him and hes usually too busy to wonder why.
#9Dark_Link92Posted 8/24/2014 12:04:11 PM
Groudon199 posted...
Dark_Link92 posted...

Or a classic controller.

The button layout on that is better than the Pro controller's, plus it can be used to play N64 games on Wii VC.

I meant to say classic controller pro, but I'm so used to just saying the pro controller in reference to the Wii U that I forgot the rest of it. Derp
---
2/8/2014- I officially predict Ridley playable in Smash 4. If he's not, I'll quietly change my signature and no one needs to remind me of this ever again.
#10Xynaxus64Posted 8/24/2014 12:04:41 PM(edited)
Just wait for the Gamecube adapter. The GC controller, on the Wii at least, worked with almost every non-Wii game. I imagine that it should work with most, if not all VC games on the Wii U.
---
Metroid = Rayman > All
Rayman is in Smash!