Tropical Freeze: Overrated?

#51kissdadookiePosted 8/26/2014 11:26:10 AM
Flare7 posted...
kissdadookie posted...
wiiking96 posted...
Flare7 posted...
you're wasting your time

Does this guy have a reputation or something?

Only to Ninty fanboys because I don't sugar coat things for Nintendo. I'm a supporter of Nintendo but I don't apologize for their many missteps.

How is Tropical Freeze a misstep?

By putting out more of the same from DKCR and then marketing it as something that would help significantly boost Wii U sales which was exactly what Nintendo had Reggie do for the promotion of that game. Huge misstep because at the end of the day, Nintendo's problem with the WIi U is adoption. Pushing TF that hard was an attempt at driving up adoption. Failed. That's a misstep.
#52Flare7Posted 8/26/2014 11:31:49 AM
kissdadookie posted...
Flare7 posted...
kissdadookie posted...
wiiking96 posted...
Flare7 posted...
you're wasting your time

Does this guy have a reputation or something?

Only to Ninty fanboys because I don't sugar coat things for Nintendo. I'm a supporter of Nintendo but I don't apologize for their many missteps.

How is Tropical Freeze a misstep?

By putting out more of the same from DKCR and then marketing it as something that would help significantly boost Wii U sales which was exactly what Nintendo had Reggie do for the promotion of that game. Huge misstep because at the end of the day, Nintendo's problem with the WIi U is adoption. Pushing TF that hard was an attempt at driving up adoption. Failed. That's a misstep.

Not unrealistic to expect it to sell well based on the success of DKCR. As far as it being more of the same...that's kind of how platformers work, dude. Most gamers consider DKC2 superior to DKC1, despite the gameplay remaining largely the same aside from some minor tweaks/additions. That's what TF is to Returns. If people bought this expecting DK to have guns or something, they really aren't very in touch with gaming. I found the game to be a huge improvement over Returns in all aspects.

One issue would be the overabundance of 2d platformers on the console and might have had an impact on sales, especially since it came out shortly after SM3DW. Speaking of, Mario games sell like hot cakes and the formula hasn't changed at all in years. Clearly DK isn't as popular for whatever reason. I'm just saying, I wouldn't blame it on the game. It's excellent for what it tries to be.
---
Currently playing: Uncharted 3
#53albertojz356Posted 8/26/2014 11:48:58 AM
It's not overrated, I guess maybe a few people overrate it, but it's not great either. It's about average, decent game.
---
I support my favorite Nintendo Starlets: Pauline, Palutena, Anna, Captain Syrup, and also Shantae, and Bayonetta for Smash Bros Wii U/3ds.
#54emayerPosted 8/26/2014 12:09:08 PM
kissdadookie posted...
So ultimately, we end up with a game that just gives us more of what we received with DKCR. That's fine and dandy but does getting more of the same qualify a game to be great? No, it doesn't. One can even see that as laziness

Confirmed: Mario Kart 8 is trash because it gives us more of what we received with the 7 prior Mario Karts. Smash Bros. 4 will be trash because it gives us more of what we received with Melee and Brawl.

Like, seriously? What is this nonsense? Tropical Freeze uses Returns as a gameplay foundation, but it builds an incredibly richer experience around that foundation. You can make a checklist of the specific mechanics that have been changed or added, but that doesn't even come close to encompassing the creativity and aesthetic fidelity that the game's worlds offer. And that is something that DKC is known for, perhaps even moreso than its gameplay in a vacuum.

Tropical Freeze is a sequel that outclasses its predecessor in every department imaginable. But apparently "originality" is all people care about. I'm sure the Metroid Prime 4 that you all wanted Retro Studios to make instead of Tropical Freeze would've had that in spades. *rolls eyes*