Are Nintendo Games Declining in Quality?

#1SampsonMPosted 8/24/2014 1:14:22 PM
This isn't a troll post. And I'm not just blindly slamming Nintendo here.

But is it possible that the reason the Wii U is not selling is because the games are not that good anymore? Yes, the console has a bad name, lack of marketing, etc. But could it be that Nintendo's studios are simply in decline?

Of the first party Wii U games I own:

Mario 3D World: Fun, but very overrated. Not anything close to game of the year. Simplistic, short levels, reused mechanics and graphics. Poor controls. Rayman Legends is a better multiplayer platformer.

DK: TF: Just started playing this game, on the third world now. As a single player game, it's fun, but the game was not designed for multiplayer at all, even though it has that option.

Mario Kart 8: Not enough content. Lacking in alternative modes. Reused tracks. It's Mario Kart, so it's fun, but I got bored after about 25 hours and haven't played it since.

Nintendo land: A few games in here are fantastic. Mario Chase, for example, is incredible. But the rest of the game is shallow and very forgettable.

Game & Wario: Similar to Nintendo land. A few great games, a lot of junk.

NSMBU: Hard to tell a difference between this game and the Wii's NSMB.

Wind Waker HD: Awesome Zelda game, but this is just an HD remake. Hardly counts.

Ultimately, I don't regret buying the Wii U or anything -- it's given me a few hundred hours of entertainment at this point. But it seems the quality of Nintendo's games is not what it used to be. SNES/N65 and GCN had much better first party titles.
---
An artist is a creature driven by demons. He dont know why they choose him and hes usually too busy to wonder why.
#2Dark_Link92Posted 8/24/2014 1:16:07 PM(edited)
Yes. They're far from bad, but I think the slight dip can be attributed to them rushing out games the Wii U needs. That maybe should have fixed itself by now, but I think starting from Smash they'll be on the rise again. Hopefully.
---
2/8/2014- I officially predict Ridley playable in Smash 4. If he's not, I'll quietly change my signature and no one needs to remind me of this ever again.
#3SignalMyMiseryyPosted 8/24/2014 1:54:28 PM
Well I mean, compare mario sunshine to 1 of the many marios on wii u. They don't feel like they used to. Same with zelda. Wind waker and minish cap were the last zeldas that actually felt like zelda.
#4SerpenttinePosted 8/24/2014 2:12:14 PM
They are rising in quality, the decline is from lack of creativity
---
3DS FC: 0189-9480-3816
#5XImperialDragonPosted 8/24/2014 2:18:23 PM(edited)
I am of the opinion that Mario 3D World is among the best games Nintendo has made since Galaxy 2, and that Galaxy 2 was the best 3D Mario since the original Mario 64.

This is probably due to me not being on the Wii board much, but I've never seen complaints about the controls before- I found them tight, responsive and didn't have an issue with them even on Champion's Road, and none of the 3 friends who jumped in to play the game on Magic nights have complained about them either. What, specifically, is the control problem? The only thing I can think of is how you're limited to 9 directions for the most part, which is done for sake of the design. Once you realize this, navigating without having to constantly watch your shadow on the ground is quite easy, so I find that having been done for player benefit and is not even remotely a detriment.
---
Sony bought Konami and will release a DDR game for the Nintendo 3DS. In this game, you set your 3DS on the floor and stomp on it till it no longer functions.
#6NovaLevossidaPosted 8/24/2014 2:18:30 PM
I think so overall. Smash might be a large step up from Brawl though.
---
The HUD...
...placed conveniently on the Wii U gamepad. - TreeFall Studios on The Letter
#7LinetrixPosted 8/24/2014 2:19:49 PM
They are. The Gamecube was their last console in which they actually tried innovating.
---
It's off-topic to talk about the online portion of TLoU. Only the single player campaign is allowed in TLoU's board. - GameFAQs mod
#8AhnoldDoodPosted 8/24/2014 2:23:24 PM
SampsonM posted...
Mario 3D World: Fun, but very overrated. Not anything close to game of the year. Simplistic, short levels, reused mechanics and graphics. Poor controls.

The levels are not short, though they can be completed quickly; it barely reuses mechanics (in fact, barely any damn mechanic leaves the level it came fro,) and reused graphics? What? As in it's reusing the graphics from itself? How dare the grassland have grassland graphics. Poor controls? A bold-faced lie.

DK: TF: Just started playing this game, on the third world now. As a single player game, it's fun, but the game was not designed for multiplayer at all, even though it has that option.

The multiplayer adds to the game, bro. It also makes it a bit easier to play.

Mario Kart 8: Not enough content. Lacking in alternative modes. Reused tracks. It's Mario Kart, so it's fun, but I got bored after about 25 hours and haven't played it since.

It doesn't have many modes, yes, I agree. Wait, reused tracks? Yeah, I don't think you know what "reused" means. None of the new tracks are even close to each other, otherwise you're complaining about the retro tracks i.e. what Nintendo's been doing since DS. Not to mention how this game drastically improves those tracks.

NSMBU: Hard to tell a difference between this game and the Wii's NSMB.

Sure, if you don't pay attention~~
---
http://jp7.r0tt.com/l_b29b5cc0-d1af-11e1-a806-4f908e000007.jpg
#9RobJ24Posted 8/24/2014 2:24:05 PM
Actually, everything except for Nintendo games, indie games, and PC games are declining in quality.
---
This is RobJ23 on a new account.
Video games can be mentally dangerous for some people, so video game licenses should be required to play video games.
#10MAZZIVEdamagePosted 8/24/2014 2:38:28 PM(edited)
I think so.

Just look at how wonderful The Wind Waker is, still to this day, compared to something like Skyward Sword. Or look on how they are treating franchises like Paper Mario and Mario Golf. And how they are not touching series like F-Zero at all. It seems like Nintendo is scaling back on everything, making less and less of their games.

Maybe they are trying to be cost effective. Maybe it has been the focus on Motion Controllers and current HD-development difficulties that have led to this.