Are Nintendo Games Declining in Quality?

#131Flen15Posted 8/24/2014 11:01:02 PM
Serpenttine posted...
They are rising in quality, the decline is from lack of creativity

^ Yeah, I think this about hits the mark for me.

But not just for Nintendo games. For games in general.

It's rare for me to play a new game and think, "This is a new experience for me." For most newer games it's more like, "Oh, this is kind of like <such and such>."

All new games will take inspiration in some form from previous games, and since I'm old enough to have experienced about any genre out there, it's almost like I get a feeling of deja vu with every new game I play.

I think this is why the moba market is exploding right now. I wouldn't say they're high quality games exactly, but they're a fresh experience for most people right now (including me). You can still see elements borrowed from games of the past, but there's enough innovation in this new genre for it to feel like a new experience.
#132SampsonM(Topic Creator)Posted 8/25/2014 5:41:48 AM
Legends is way better than 3D World. Better graphics, better music, better physics, more original level design, better designed co-op, more expressive characters, better GamePad use.

Just to name a few reasons.

Couldn't have said it better.

Rayman Legends is the Wii U's most underrated game. Blows Donkey Kong and SM3DW out of the water.

If Nintendo wants to license its IP to third party (like Hyrule Warriors) they should let Ubisoft make the next 2D Mario or Donkey Kong game.
---
An artist is a creature driven by demons. He dont know why they choose him and hes usually too busy to wonder why.
#133schlanzPosted 8/25/2014 6:11:24 AM
Granadico_ posted...
schlanz posted...
absolutely not. I held off getting a Nintendo console each of the last 3 gens and each time I'm overwhelmed at the level of quality Nintendo maintains. I just got a Wii U and am about 3/4 through SM3DW. Fantastic entry in the series and in no way is it a lesser quality game than any previous Mario game.

Really looking forward to the next SSB and Zelda (although hyrule warriors looks.. eh)

Why didn't you get any Nintendo systems if you're blown away by how good they are?

That came out wrong haha I meant I held off getting them until late into their cycle as a 2nd console. I typically only buy Nintendo systems for Nintendo's games, so I wait until there is a decent pile of them to play. I got a Wii U a little sooner than I anticipated but I'm not regretting the purchase at all.
---
Top 10 2013: Dragon's Crown, Spelunky, Rogue Legacy, Tomb Raider, NiNo Kuni, Fire Emblem, Bioshock Infinite, Rayman Legends, Link Between Worlds, The Last of Us
#134RobJ24Posted 8/25/2014 6:17:40 AM
BrokenBandit84 posted...
The reason Nintendo games are not creative is not because of Nintendo but because their fans scream bloody murder whenever they even think of trying something creative.

Examples Include:
Super Mario Bros. 2. ("Doki Doki Panic reskin"),
Zelda II(not top down)
The Wind Waker (AKA The Legend of "Celda"),
Super Mario Sunshine(fludd),
Kirby's Epic Yarn(kirby doesn't suck),
Tomodachi Life(no Gay people),
Super Paper Mario
Star Fox Adventures
Fire Emblem Awakening(Permanent death optional, and no Gay people.)
Metroid the other M.
JUST TO NAME A FEW....

Gamers sure love complaining Nintendo games alot.
---
This is RobJ23 on a new account.
Video games can be mentally dangerous for some people, so video game licenses should be required to play video games.
#135AvirosbPosted 8/25/2014 6:20:14 AM
Other M was creative now.
---
Console wars are like pissing contests. So yeah.
#136TpaulHPosted 8/25/2014 6:29:12 AM
There's a word for your opening post, TC.

Opinion.

You are one person with one opinion. To you, the games are declining in quality. To your perception, they're not as good as Nintendo's past. And no, you're not the only one. But it's far from a fact of life. Just an opinion.

I disagree with you. I thoroughly enjoy current Nintendo games as much as past Nintendo games - sometimes more. But see, that's the cool thing about opinions. We can all have different ones and it doesn't hurt anybody. :)
---
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 1564-3493-9447 NNID = TpaulH
Currently playing: Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Mario Kart 8, Last Story
#137SampsonM(Topic Creator)Posted 8/25/2014 6:50:32 AM
TpaulH posted...

Opinion.

You are one person with one opinion. To you, the games are declining in quality. To your perception, they're not as good as Nintendo's past. And no, you're not the only one. But it's far from a fact of life. Just an opinion.

I disagree with you. I thoroughly enjoy current Nintendo games as much as past Nintendo games - sometimes more. But see, that's the cool thing about opinions. We can all have different ones and it doesn't hurt anybody. :)

Yeah..where did I ever write or imply anything different?

I hate when people throw a "IMO" into something they're writing. It's like yeah, it's implied that it's your opinion -- you're the one stating it.

I just wanted to a spark discussion.
---
An artist is a creature driven by demons. He dont know why they choose him and hes usually too busy to wonder why.
#138millimaynePosted 8/25/2014 8:23:04 AM
TpaulH posted...

Opinion.

Well, that's just like, your opinion, man.

I think the Zelda series has gotten better, Mario Kart's improved, the Paper Mario series has gotten worse, Kirby's gotten a little better, Pokemon's gotten way better, Mario has pretty much stayed the same throughout, and most other Nintendo classics have either withered away into obscurity or simply use their characters for Smash Bros games.

Every single point I just made could easily be refuted by someone with a different opinion. It's nothing new.
---
"It's official, you SU-" *bam!* The last words of Shao Khan before getting Liu Kang'd
#139higgsboson1997Posted 8/25/2014 8:39:39 AM
Well, I don't think so.

Super Mario 3D World is my favourite game of all time. (the only place I see hate for it is here and sometimes by some select users on NeoGAF).

Mario Kart 8 is the best Mario Kart.

DKC:TF is the best DKC.

Pikmin 3 is the best Pikmin.

New Super Mario Bros. U is the best of the NSMB series, imo.

I don't see a decline in quality.

However, I do think they are releasing games with a lower wow-factor as of late (things with something completely weird in them). Splatoon and the new Zelda can change that, though.

The quality, I think, is only increasing.
#140FlyinTonitePosted 8/25/2014 8:43:18 AM
I just think there is a lack of innovation nowadays, but this applies to all devs. Every big game this year is a sequel of some kind, the quality is still there, just not the innovation.
---
Life is tough, like real tough, like tough plus tough times tough to the power of tough.