If Nintendo doesn't localize Fatal Frame V it just goes to show how out of touch

#1Megamushroom666Posted 8/24/2014 2:21:06 PM
they are with the Western market and they deserve to fail.

Long rant:

Nintendo clearly doesn't understand the US console market as well as they should and thinks that their Mario games are enough to impress gamers. Well, they're not, not anymore.

Wii U is arguably the least appealing console in NA and it's because the games just don't appeal to western tastes. People here want big productions, epic storylines and top notch graphics performance. What Nintendo's been delivering are just the same games with a new HD gloss and then they wonder why people don't like the Wii U. It's because the games are nothing more than Wii games in HD and that just isn't enough.

I recently played thru Star Fox Adventures (GCN) and it was more epic and fulfilling than anything Nintendo put out on the Wii U thus far. The only game that can compare in scale is probably Wind Waker HD, which ironically is also a GCN game.

Now Nintendo has a potential hit in Fatal Frame V that could help change perceptions of the Wii U and if they hesitate to release it in NA, they deserve all the trouble they're in because they clearly don't understand what Western gamers like in console games. They think that the same old Mario games will be enough but it's not. Gamers expect evolution and Nintendo is still dwelling in the past. That's all I got.
---
'Deep into that darkness peering...'
Snackeroo.com
#2Granadico_Posted 8/24/2014 2:29:55 PM
Megamushroom666 posted...
they are with the Western market and they deserve to fail.

Long rant:

Nintendo clearly doesn't understand the US console market as well as they should and thinks that their Mario games are enough to impress gamers. Well, they're not, not anymore. Agreed, but it seems they're trying

Wii U is arguably the least appealing console in NA and it's because the games just don't appeal to western tastes. People here want big productions, epic storylines and top notch graphics performance. What Nintendo's been delivering are just the same games with a new HD gloss and then they wonder why people don't like the Wii U. It's because the games are nothing more than Wii games in HD and that just isn't enough. Funny, because i have this opinion of 90% of the Sony/MS/3rd party games

I recently played thru Star Fox Adventures (GCN) and it was more epic and fulfilling than anything Nintendo put out on the Wii U thus far. The only game that can compare in scale is probably Wind Waker HD, which ironically is also a GCN game. Opinion, but GC was also my favorite gen

Now Nintendo has a potential hit in Fatal Frame V that could help change perceptions of the Wii U and if they hesitate to release it in NA, they deserve all the trouble they're in because they clearly don't understand what Western gamers like in console games. They think that the same old Mario games will be enough but it's not. Gamers expect evolution and Nintendo is still dwelling in the past. That's all I got. I don' tthink it has anything to do with that, more that it just eneds all the games/genres/niches it can get
#3random_man9119Posted 8/24/2014 2:30:11 PM
Megamushroom666
People here want big productions, epic storylines and top notch graphics performance

I don't believe this is what the Western market wants/needs as a whole... It's cool to have games like this... But I don't think we need every (or even a majority) of games like it...
---
NNID:MrOddities|SteamID:Mr.Oddities
Currently playing:Skyrim,Borderlands 2,Dragon Quest IX,ACIV: Black Flag,Wario Land 4,Guacamelee!STCE,Fallout 3
#4Devilman_AmonPosted 8/27/2014 7:44:40 PM
random_man9119 posted...
Megamushroom666
People here want big productions, epic storylines and top notch graphics performance

I don't believe this is what the Western market wants/needs as a whole... It's cool to have games like this... But I don't think we need every (or even a majority) of games like it...

We need variety

Lets list last gen's Nintendo published missed games for NA:

Fatal Frame IV
Fatal Frame II remake
Night of Sacrifice
Slashing of Regileiv
Disaster: Day of Crisis
Another Code: R
Captain Rainbow
Dragon Quest Monsters: Battle Road Victory

We got Xenoblade, the Last Story, and Pandora's tower last gen (via begging galore), but we missed these

And I'd argue that NoA shoulda helped publish Earth Seeker too. And help push Dragon Quest X out for Wii and Wii U NA/EU....and now help publish Yakuza 1 & 2 HD Collection, Kamen Rider Battride War 1 & 2, and taiko no tatsujin (taiko Drum)...
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#5Neonwarrior1243Posted 8/27/2014 7:47:09 PM
Well at least Earth Seeker is getting a fan translation patch, hopefully Wii U gets hacked and they turn off the region lock then it won't matter if they don't bring Fatal Frame over(unless I'm wrong about this not being a text heavy game).
#6GaljenPosted 8/28/2014 9:59:31 PM
Wii U is arguably the least appealing console in NA and it's because the games just don't appeal to western tastes.

Please. Sony and Microsoft's vidya game stuff doesn't sale highly enough with their production costs.

People here want big productions, epic storylines and top notch graphics performance.

Lol, none of the Uncharted games and Bioware's games have sold as much as Skyward Sword (which is regarded as a disappointment). And citation needed.

I recently played thru Star Fox Adventures (GCN) and it was more epic and fulfilling than anything Nintendo put out on the Wii U thus far. The only game that can compare in scale is probably Wind Waker HD, which ironically is also a GCN game.

Star Fox Adventures is a flop that killed its series. The game has fetch quests, lacks good writing (see Fox not being allowed to bring a blaster but using that staff is okay, among other things), below standard combat, etc. And Wind Waker HD is a flop too.

Are you a Sonic supporter?

Now Nintendo has a potential hit in Fatal Frame V that could help change perceptions of the Wii U and if they hesitate to release it in NA, they deserve all the trouble they're in because they clearly don't understand what Western gamers like in console games.

Fetch quests?

Why do so many forum dwellers pretend to be market experts? Having Other M didn't make the Wii more respected, what with the "epic storyline" it had.

Also, I'm guessing you're pretending nobody in the West brought any of the Wii's games.

And there's nothing a video game can bring that watching a movie can't. You seem to be under the spell that Western gamers would rather use games instead of movies whenever they want "storytelling" or "visuals".

You seem to be sure Western gamers don't just want to play a damn game. Do you think Westerners won't play baseball due to the lack of an "epic storyline"?

I must have missed the time where Mass Effect 3 outsold 3D World.

They think that the same old Mario games will be enough but it's not. Gamers expect evolution and Nintendo is still dwelling in the past. That's all I got.

I must have missed the time where Mass Effect 3 outsold 3D World.

Protip: The internet and game journalists aren't the entire world.
#7Baha05Posted 8/28/2014 10:03:27 PM
No it really doesn't, not every game out from Japan sells well and the same goes from other regions and their titles in other regions.
#8neogeoftwPosted 8/28/2014 10:04:41 PM
Whether Nintendo thinks there is an audience or not, it makes sense to localize it to add more games to Wii u. It makes sense because Nintendo needs as many games out as possible.
#9Baha05Posted 8/28/2014 10:07:49 PM
neogeoftw posted...
Whether Nintendo thinks there is an audience or not, it makes sense to localize it to add more games to Wii u. It makes sense because Nintendo needs as many games out as possible.

It only makes sense to that degree, however localization trumps this aspect as just because you can localize a title does not mean it will sell.
#10GaljenPosted 8/28/2014 10:17:34 PM
Baha05 posted...
neogeoftw posted...

It only makes sense to that degree, however localization trumps this aspect as just because you can localize a title does not mean it will sell.

See also: Fire Emblem.