Mistwalker's new game may come to Wii U in some form after all

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Mistwalker's new game may come to Wii U in some form after all
1 year ago#1
Details for Sakaguchi's upcoming mobile RPG have surfaced in this week's Famitsu. There's some good news, some bad news, and some really weird news.

First off, the good news is that the game is designed to have a full story experience spanning 30 chapters, complete with an ending. The game is f2p, but anyone who downloads it can finish the story. After beating the game you can continue playing to level up your characters further and fight challenging enemies.

The gameplay sounds like a strategy RPG of sorts. The battlefields are 8x6 grid maps, with enemies on the map and player units. When all enemies are defeated you win the mission. There's some sort of 4 second time limit for moving freely within a square during a turn. So a mix of realtime and turn based maybe? Need pics.

The not so good news is that the game uses micro-transactions for an energy system. Energy is a pay currency in the game which can be used to replenish Stamina (argh!!), continue after a game over, or for more chances at the item gambling stuff. All standard f2p stuff, usually used in not so good ways.

Now for the really really weird part. Terra Battle will feature what they call a "Download-Starter" system. It's a riff off Kickstarter, where they are trying to crowd source expanding content for the game. Or a marketing gimmick. Based on the number of unique downloads for the title, they will be adding extra stuff at certain milestones.

100k - Uematsu will compose addition tracks
200k - Minaba will design a new character
300k - Manga artist Nakaba Suzuki joins the project
1 million - They will plan a Terra Battle concert event
1.4 million - They will produce a collectible figure for the game
2 million - Development starts on a consumer (console or handheld, non-mobile) MMORPG called Terra Battle World

The creator of Final Fantasy making an MMORPG based on a mobile game. Do you want it?
1 year ago#2
Bump. People here usually love Sakaguchi and Mistwalker.
1 year ago#3
Isn't this made in partnership with GungHo? I hate their guts. It explains the decision to use the pay-for-energy thing.
Cavorting about affixing Gogol Horns to houses does not constitute looking after an entire colony, Juju. -Dunban
1 year ago#4
Screw mobile games... too bad Mistwalker is wasting their time with this...
To be a sage means only to be rich in knowledge.
Canadiens/Red Sox/Patriots
1 year ago#5
NightRain posted...
Screw mobile games... too bad Mistwalker is wasting their time with this...

I'd rather have this than another mobile surfing game. This game is a huge step up from what Mistwalker has been doing recently.
1 year ago#6
Just because it's on mobile, doesn't make it a bad game. Look at other JRPG's like Chaos Rings. I think, despite the F2P practices this could turn out good, though I'd prefer to pay upfront and cut out the stamina stuff. The question is, which console/s? Or could it skip consoles and go on handhelds instead (given Japan's current gaming market, this would not surprise me). They could release it on 3DS and WiiU, since they are the best selling current-gen console and handheld in Japan, where the majority of sales will likely come from, and have something like MH included in the game.
"In case of an emergency, **** you, **** the lot of ya's"- Adam Hills
1 year ago#7
I'll look into it when and if it comes to console, I'm not supporting it otherwise. As a consumer I can only really speak with my wallet, I don't want smart phone gaming and I really don't want f2p smart phone gaming. The only thing I can do to tell these companies that is to not play their games.
3DS FC: 3695-0124-0339
1 year ago#8
Not interested in f2p, even if the pedigree is high.
NNID: EclipseHunter 3DS FC: 1719-4517-0303
Official Xion of the KHIII Board
1 year ago#9
I found The Last Story to be a terrific game and I really wish Mistwalker would further support the Wii U. I'm not a big fan of mobile games, to me, mobile games are something to pass time while waiting for a flight, games like Candy Crush being a perfect example, an MMORPG on a mobile device isn't going to happen for this guy, I prefer them on a console.
1 year ago#10
Why would I pay to fund a game I don't want on the off chance that they might make one that I do? Hell, why would anybody fund a f2p in the first place? For that matter, why would they make a seperate game a stretch goal and not make a sepetate kickstarter? This whole thing is bizarre.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Mistwalker's new game may come to Wii U in some form after all

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived