I hate what they did to Princess Peach after Super Mario 64

#1slumpcatPosted 8/26/2014 10:25:43 PM
In the beginning of Mario 64, we're given a short little voice over by Princess Peach (voiced by Leslie Swan, iirc) in which she invites Mario to come to her castle to eat a cake that she baked for him. Notice how regal and intelligent she sounds.

Then, when you finally beat the game (which can take years for a 5 year old) Princess Peach is released from Bowser's clutches and floats down to the ground majestically as f***. Sparkles flying everywhere, beautiful music playing, the whole deal. She opens her mouth and she actually sounds like an intelligent human being. It's amazing. I love it.

Enter Super Mario Sunshine:

Who could forget such memorable lines as:

"Mama? Mama Peach? I'm your mama?"

"MariOoOoOO!!!"

"That.. That shadow!!"

The dialogue is crap. The voice they chose for her is crap. She sounds like a bumbling idiot and a total bimbo. And it's been that way ever since. No monologues, no wisdom or intelligent dialogue at all, just "MariOoOoOO!!!"

Note that I'm not really talking about the Paper Mario or Mario RPG series here. She's fine in those games. I'm talking about the main series. I know that it's too late to change her back, but that doesn't make me any less sad about what happened to her. I know that voice actors change and all that, but did they really have to f*** up the character so badly?
#2manmousePosted 8/26/2014 10:29:09 PM
i feel you mane
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY
#3CubeTVPosted 8/26/2014 10:38:19 PM(edited)
Agreed except for the Mario Sunshine bit. Was nice hearing her having small talk besides some "help me" variation and the interactions with Mario/Toadsworth in the beginning were nice. Everything else though I notice. I actually got angry at the end of New Super Mario Bros. U because it was that exact same "Maarrrioooo!!!" she used at the end of New Super Mario Bros. 2 which was the same one as 3D Land, which I'm guessing (I never beat the Wii one since it wasn't fun) was the exact same as New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

Thank god Peach was playable in 3D World. I don't think I could deal with it again... I'm calling it right now that when New Super Mario Bros. 6 comes out, maybe even Mario Maker as well, she will have that exact same "Maarrrioooo!!!" voice
---
Even though I like the Wii U, I do not consider it a Nintendo system.
#4NightRainPosted 8/26/2014 10:35:11 PM
Well, Sunshine was not even a good game to being with...
---
To be a sage means only to be rich in knowledge.
Canadiens/Red Sox/Patriots
#5ORANGE666Posted 8/26/2014 10:37:50 PM
Bowser broke her mentally and physically. What, did you think they had tea together?
---
I am a Nintendo Fanboy and let me tell you, being a Drone is actually a great thing.
We have beautiful people and we have ugly people. just like other fanboys
#6slumpcat(Topic Creator)Posted 8/26/2014 10:39:08 PM
CubeTV posted...
Agreed except for the Mario Sunshine bit. Was nice hearing her having small talk besides some "help me" variation and the interactions with Mario/Toadsworth in the beginning were nice. Everything else though I notice. I actually got angry at the end of New Super Mario Bros. U because it was that exact same "Maarrrioooo!!!" she used at the end of New Super Mario Bros. 2 which was the same one as 3D Land, which I'm guessing (I never beat the Wii one since it wasn't fun) was the exact same as New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

Thank god Peach was playable in 3D World. I don't think I could deal with it again... I', calling it right now that when New Super Mario Bros. 6 comes out, she will have that exact same "Maarrrioooo!!!" voice

Honestly, I couldn't even enjoy the small talk in Sunshine because of that shrill, dopey voice they gave her.

And yeah, I feel ya on the "Marrriooooo!!" thing. It's getting out of hand.
#7Schrodinger943Posted 8/27/2014 1:15:32 AM
ORANGE666 posted...
Bowser broke her mentally and physically. What, did you think they had tea together?

Epic post
---
Currently playing: Super Paper Mario, Skyrim, Punch-Out Wii
#8AmandaDanielPosted 8/27/2014 1:21:00 AM
If you were a princess who had no choices in life except a mass-murdering plumber and a giant spiky turtle, you'd be pretty messed up too...
---
Let's all laugh at an industry that never learns anything, tee hee hee!
- Zero Punctuation
#9STN79Posted 8/27/2014 1:21:16 AM
Bowser sounded like Cookie monster in Mario sunshine. Not to mention he was barely in the game at all. Only thing that game had going for it was the pretty graphics.
---
It is artists, not technicians, who make excellent games. "Hiroshi yamauchi"
#10DeathSoul2000Posted 8/27/2014 1:25:34 AM
STN79 posted...
Bowser sounded like Cookie monster in Mario sunshine. Not to mention he was barely in the game at all. Only thing that game had going for it was the pretty graphics.

Oh god the soapy bathtub final battle, WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!?