Here's an idea for a fully 3D Kirby game

#1wiiking96Posted 8/27/2014 1:37:57 PM
Core Design
This is a fully open-world Kirby game - as open ended as Kirby & The Amazing Mirror. It's more collectathon oriented than AM, though, with more than just chests to collect. The game world is designed around Kirby's ability to float indefinitely, with lots of vertical level design. In addition, there are a decent number of linear levels that you can access from various hidden spots in the overworld. Each of them has a unique restriction to add a level of challenge.

Premise
The idea behind this game is that Dreamland and everything else on Pop Star gets warped into into the shape of a sphere. The boundaries of the world literally surround the world in a perfect sphere, as if you were inside a giant balloon. It's even possible to make it to the very "bottom" of the world, and touching it warps you to the opposite end of the world: The Top. This also applies to every angle you can reach the boundaries from. Your ultimate goal in the story is to get Pop Star back in order. The world has a lot of crazy stuff going on due to the warped nature.

Events
In order to make the world more interesting, a variety of different events happen at determined times in the various parts. Think of the events in City Trial of Kirby Air Ride. There is a day & night system, and events trigger at specific times in the cycle in various locations. They can range from a large boss appearing out of nowhere, to parts of the world shifting around temporarily. There are challenges associated with the events, and beating them nets you rewards. You can make time go by faster by finding a Noddy and having Kirby go to sleep for a period of the cycle.

Copy Abilities & Controls
Many different Copy Abilities from past games return, each translated into 3D. In order for combat involving them to be intuitive, a targeting system is added. This works much like it does in 3D Zelda games. Many attacks that you can perform with CAs are a lot easier to use accurately when targeting, but this can also be turned off outright for those who don't enjoy it. Copy Abilities are divided into two primary classes: Mobility-Oriented and Combat-Oriented. Wing, Wheel, Jet, and Fire are included in the former, while Sword, Fighter, Beam, and Hammer are includes in the latter.

Aside from that, the controls are fairly simple whilst incorporating all of Kirby's standard moves. You can float by tapping the jump button, slide-kick by crouching and pressing the attack button, dash by holding down a trigger button while moving, and super-inhale by holding down the inhale button for a few seconds. Copy abilities now involve two different button, one face and one shoulder, for attacks; players can get by just fine by using only one button, though.

Playable Characters
Kirby starts out as the only playable character, but you unlock more as you beat hidden levels. Meta Knight has great mobility and plenty of moves to use against enemies. Dedede is a heavy hitter and can call in minions to assist him. Bandanna Waddle Dee, Adeline, and others also have the potential to be playable.

Thoughts?
---
More villains need to be protagonists. BIS proves it can work.
Ridley, Ganondorf, Bowser, Fawful and King Dedede all for their own games!
#2Maverick_ReznorPosted 8/27/2014 1:42:25 PM
I want another Kirby game
---
Currently Playing : Diablo 3 : Ultimate Evil Edition for the PS4
Looking Forward To: Destiny, Smash Bros, The Order 1886, and ScaleBound
#3QueskerPosted 8/27/2014 1:46:39 PM
The only two things I would change is to make Kirby's floating limited. I think part of the reason that a 3D Kirby game hasn't been made it is how they would balance Kirby's floating in 3D. Well, there are Kirby games where his floating is limited (most exemplified by Kirby 64), and using this could lead to interesting challenges. The second is a day/night cycle. Even if it wasn't in real time, it would still be a headache to deal with.

Other than that, the only thing needed to do is expand on it.
---
7 is good. I swear the school's 75-100 grading scale has ruined peoples perception of things.
-MillionGunmannn
#4wiiking96(Topic Creator)Posted 8/27/2014 2:06:47 PM
Quesker posted...
The only two things I would change is to make Kirby's floating limited. I think part of the reason that a 3D Kirby game hasn't been made it is how they would balance Kirby's floating in 3D. Well, there are Kirby games where his floating is limited (most exemplified by Kirby 64), and using this could lead to interesting challenges.

I would be more interested in a world designed around the ability to float indefinitely. It could be truly interesting. The challenge would come from finding all the hidden stuff in the world and taking down bosses.

The second is a day/night cycle. Even if it wasn't in real time, it would still be a headache to deal with.

Depends on how its executed. It worked fine in OoT.
---
#5Pink_a_DinkPosted 8/27/2014 2:07:47 PM
I just want another 2.5D multiplayer Kirby game exactly like the Wii one.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grtEt0Cudt8
Screw PS4, XB1, and Wii U. Gamesphere is where it's at. Its spherical! SPHERICAL!!!
#6wiiking96(Topic Creator)Posted 8/27/2014 2:44:15 PM
Pink_a_Dink posted...
I just want another 2.5D multiplayer Kirby game exactly like the Wii one.

That's fine, but that isn't what this topic is about.
---
#7wiiking96(Topic Creator)Posted 8/27/2014 6:13:03 PM
bump
---
#8Granadico_Posted 8/27/2014 6:16:09 PM
wiiking96 posted...
collectathon

sold
#9QueskerPosted 8/27/2014 7:39:28 PM
wiiking96 posted...
Quesker posted...
The only two things I would change is to make Kirby's floating limited. I think part of the reason that a 3D Kirby game hasn't been made it is how they would balance Kirby's floating in 3D. Well, there are Kirby games where his floating is limited (most exemplified by Kirby 64), and using this could lead to interesting challenges.

I would be more interested in a world designed around the ability to float indefinitely. It could be truly interesting. The challenge would come from finding all the hidden stuff in the world and taking down bosses.

The second is a day/night cycle. Even if it wasn't in real time, it would still be a headache to deal with.

Depends on how its executed. It worked fine in OoT.

Well, the indefinite floating has already caused some level design limitations, like if you were to compare, say, a level of SMB3 and then pit it against a Kirby level, you'll know what I mean. Hopefully.

As for the day/night cycle thing, even in OoT it only got that tolerable due to the certain songs that can change whether it'd be day or not, and even then, it was only available after a certain point.
---
7 is good. I swear the school's 75-100 grading scale has ruined peoples perception of things.
-MillionGunmannn
#10wiiking96(Topic Creator)Posted 8/28/2014 6:08:01 AM
OK, here's how Fire Kirby could work in 3D. Note that I will be using B and ZR for the default buttons for Copy Abilities:

Fire Breath: Press and hold B to breath a continuous surge of flames. Use the left stick to move the stream in a circle around Kirby and at an upwards angle. The surge has pretty good reach and width, so it's not hard to aim.

Fireball Inferno: Pull back on the left stick when using Fire Breath to create a violent burst of fire and then continue burning.

Spinning Fire Breath: Press B in the air to have Kirby quickly breath flames in a moderately-large circle around him.

Burn: Press B while dashing to shoot forward while a fireball. You shoot directly towards any enemy that you are currently targeting. You can use this in the air if jumping while dashing and then pressing B. Press B while currently shooting forward to drop fireballs onto the ground below you, and press ZR to halt your movement with a BANG.

Crown Blaze: Hold ZR for enough time while on the ground to make the fire on Kirby's crown blaze upwards and spin in a circle above him.

Fireball Spin: Press ZR while in the air to spin turn into a moderately-sized spherical fireball. Do you when about to touch the ground to activate Fireball Roll and zoom forward along the ground even up walls; this can be prolonged for much longer than in RtDL and TD, and targeting an enemy makes it easier to direct.

Also, I'll think it's worth mentioning that Wheel Kirby would work like the Wheelie Bike did in Kirby Air Ride, meaning you can hold down a button to stop Kirby's movement and change direction, and you can use a spinning attack.
---