Here's an idea for a fully 3D Kirby game

#11TerotrousPosted 8/28/2014 6:56:17 AM(edited)
It could definitely work, but it'd probably need a few tweaks. As noted, unlimited flight is very troublesome for 3D games. You'd definitely have to limit him to 3 flaps or something like that. I'd also recommend that going into flight should kill your momentum (as it does in some Kirby games), so you have some incentive not to use it if you don't need it.

I'm also not totally sure how you'd deal with copy abilities. If the game is adventure-oriented, something along the lines of Milky Way Wishes makes sense, where you gradually unlock the powers for permanent use, as this ties in to adventure progression in a very obvious way (beat a boss, get cutter ability, be able to open up new paths, etc). This might slightly disappoint people who are used to the classic Kirby system of swallowing enemies and taking their powers, but the ability to use any power any time you want would probably make up for it.

And of course, you'd want a wide open world full of secrets to find, often requiring the various powers to be used. Conceptually that sounds very close to Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon, which is great because that game desperately needs some kind of follow-up.

It'll probably never happen, though. Nintendo just doesn't seem all that ambitious lately.
---
http://whatliesbeyondnovel.blogspot.ca/
My novel, now fully published online!
#12wiiking96(Topic Creator)Posted 8/28/2014 9:51:45 AM
Terotrous posted...
It could definitely work, but it'd probably need a few tweaks. As noted, unlimited flight is very troublesome for 3D games. You'd definitely have to limit him to 3 flaps or something like that. I'd also recommend that going into flight should kill your momentum (as it does in some Kirby games), so you have some incentive not to use it if you don't need it.

The latter would be all that's needed. I would enjoy Hal Laboratories taking on the challenge of designing a world around a character having infinite flight. Kirby's floating could be used to compliment an open-ended world by increasing the degree of freedom.
---
More villains need to be protagonists. BIS proves it can work.
Ridley, Ganondorf, Bowser, Fawful and King Dedede all for their own games!
#13TerotrousPosted 8/28/2014 10:38:42 AM
wiiking96 posted...
The latter would be all that's needed. I would enjoy Hal Laboratories taking on the challenge of designing a world around a character having infinite flight. Kirby's floating could be used to compliment an open-ended world by increasing the degree of freedom.

I dunno, I think it'd cause some problems. In open areas, you could just fly over everything, and in enclosed areas, flying near the ceiling would probably cause camera issues. There's likely a reason no game has ever done this.
---
#14wiiking96(Topic Creator)Posted 8/28/2014 11:04:54 AM
Terotrous posted...
wiiking96 posted...

I dunno, I think it'd cause some problems. In open areas, you could just fly over everything, and in enclosed areas, flying near the ceiling would probably cause camera issues. There's likely a reason no game has ever done this.

You need to remember that this would be an open world game, and the focus would be on discovery. Many Kirby games allow you to skip over obstacles and enemies by floating, but that's more boring than actually getting involved. A 3D Kirby game would be the same way. The world wouldn't have to structured like a traditional world in a platformer or adventure game.
---
#15TerotrousPosted 8/28/2014 11:34:36 AM
wiiking96 posted...
You need to remember that this would be an open world game, and the focus would be on discovery. Many Kirby games allow you to skip over obstacles and enemies by floating, but that's more boring than actually getting involved. A 3D Kirby game would be the same way. The world wouldn't have to structured like a traditional world in a platformer or adventure game.

Discovery's great and all, but you also have to earn the things you're discovering in some way. If it's just "fly fly fly fly fly oh look there's something down there, land, grab, fly fly fly fly fly" it'd get dull pretty quickly.

The mainline Kirby games are able to deal with this by significantly restricting where you can move (there's always a ceiling fairly low to the ground, even if it's just an invisible wall, and you can only travel in 2 dimensions so it's easier for things to attack you in the air), but it's hard to implement this in a 3D game.
---
#16wiiking96(Topic Creator)Posted 8/28/2014 11:57:13 AM
Terotrous posted...
Discovery's great and all, but you also have to earn the things you're discovering in some way. If it's just "fly fly fly fly fly oh look there's something down there, land, grab, fly fly fly fly fly" it'd get dull pretty quickly.

Then that would lead to players deciding not to do that as often, especially if floating greatly limits your horizontal movement speed. The level design could also involve a lot of verticality to the point where floating feels central to navigation of a large chunk of the world.

The mainline Kirby games are able to deal with this by significantly restricting where you can move (there's always a ceiling fairly low to the ground, even if it's just an invisible wall, and you can only travel in 2 dimensions so it's easier for things to attack you in the air), but it's hard to implement this in a 3D game.

If your movement is really slow in the air, and enemies can attack from high distances, then it wouldn't be such a big deal. Perhaps being hit while floating would instantly ground you. The world I'm imagining would be a lot more complex than just big wide open fields. The world would be like a massively distorted version of Pop Star's areas all meshed together in a seamless whole.
---
#17TerotrousPosted 8/28/2014 12:04:45 PM
If floating was really slow and vulnerable then it would just lead to people never doing it unless it was mandatory, in which case it might as well not exist at all. You certainly wouldn't use it as your main method of exploration, which basically removes any need for Kirby to have more than a few flaps.

Honestly, I think the answer is that for most of the game, you should just get 3 flaps. Late in the game, you get the Wing power, which allows you to have more substantial flight (probably still not infinite, but enough to open up the world a fair bit more). This gives more powers some time in the spotlight since you'd be spending a fair amount of the game on the ground.
---
#18wiiking96(Topic Creator)Posted 8/28/2014 12:24:06 PM
Terotrous posted...
If floating was really slow and vulnerable then it would just lead to people never doing it unless it was mandatory, in which case it might as well not exist at all.

That's hardly different than in the 2D Kirby games. It would exist to increase the freedom for players to explore.

You certainly wouldn't use it as your main method of exploration, which basically removes any need for Kirby to have more than a few flaps.

I don't know what you're even trying to get across by this.

Honestly, I think the answer is that for most of the game, you should just get 3 flaps. Late in the game, you get the Wing power, which allows you to have more substantial flight (probably still not infinite, but enough to open up the world a fair bit more). This gives more powers some time in the spotlight since you'd be spending a fair amount of the game on the ground.

The Copy Abilities should have as much spotlight as the player wants them to have, just like in the 2D games. Several of them could certainly aid with mobility, such as Wing Kirby making flying a lot faster, but none of them have to be tied into the core design of the game beyond being very helpful in general.
---
#19wiiking96(Topic Creator)Posted 8/29/2014 1:09:56 PM
Ninja Kirby

Kunai Throw: Rapidly tap B to have Kirby throw knives straight forward in rapid succession. This is most easily used while targeting.

Quad Shock: Press and hold B to have Kirby slash forward with a sword. This has low range, but if Kirby hits an enemy, it lets loose a shockwave that has great range and power.

Stealth Shock: Press B while running to have Kirby essentially teleport forward a short distance while slashing many times in the space between the initial and final position. This can be used alongside targeting.

Hide Guard: Pressing B while taking damage will make Kirby turn invisible for a few seconds and then come back in an explosion.

Air Drop: If you press ZR while right next to an enemy, you grab it, jump high in the air, and slam the enemy down. You can move slightly in any direction while in the middle of the jump and before landing.

Ninja Kick: Press ZR while in the air to have Kirby move towards the ground at a downwards angle while kicking. When you successfully hit an enemy, Kirby rebounds and gets some air. This is most easily used while targeting an enemy.

Blossom Sword: Pressing ZR while crouching makes Kirby jump up in the air with a fan and summons a burst of damage petals all around him.
---
#20pielover19Posted 8/29/2014 1:27:30 PM
I have an idea for a new copy ability.
Flower pot!
If you get this ability, kirby wears a flower pot suit!!! You need to destroy several enemies to use as "fertilizer" for the flower pot. After destroying a lot of enemies, a piranha plant like creature will grow on Kirby's head! It takes him a full day cycle in the game for him to reach his most powerful form, too. If you do all of this, the plant will act on its own, gobbling up enemies like the potted piranha plant in super mario 3-d world!!! It can also use ranged attacks by shooting fire and ice balls. It dies once kirby dies.

Also, I would like the "buddy summon" from the older kirby games to come back. I even have an idea for this abilities buddy!

Meet phoebe, the planter!!! Shes a green waddle doo, that is very kind and old. She carries around garden equipment, a green shower cap, and the piranha plant! She will let the plant do most of the work, but she will pull out her tweezers if things get too dangerous. The tweezers do weak physical damage.
---
hello, i am a pie lover, as indicated by my username.
the official maker of create a roster.