Wii U outselling the XB1 worldwide for the 7th week in a row!

#81mw5178Posted 8/28/2014 6:30:06 PM
FayeLady posted...
I don't disagree that there are millions of people who buy Nintendo games. I simply disagree that a sizable portion of them will buy the Wii U due to that only. In the past, Nintendo consoles have not been entirely devoid of the most popular games, and I think that will effect the Wii U's chances of selling as well as the GC, or as we've been discussing, the Xbone.

Well, if we are to go by the Vgchartz data, people ARE buying the console for the games. A 50% sales increase and outselling what your console did in all of 2013 is nothing to sneeze at. They were perhaps waiting for the right Nintendo games to play.

I disagree with the conclusion that lacking a proven method we go with an increasingly often disproven method for measuring. I'd much rather go with the official company data. It has a spin, but unlike VG chartz we know what direction it will be spun in. Also unlike VG chartz we know Nintendo and Microsoft are held liable for the numbers they publish. If Microsoft or Nintendo outright lie its a big deal, if VG Chartz does, they chalk it up as a rounding error.

That's fair and understandable if you don't want to use it. It simply limits regular discussion of global sales. We can only use the LTD 10-7-5 million figures provided by the companies (we can't even use the monthly NPD data for console units sold, since they're not always published). But you can't always completely go by company numbers, either. It's a fact that they have misled in the past regarding sales, especially Microsoft.

I can agree that its a pretty hard market to guess, one of the hardest. I can also agree that its pretty hard to estimate why the PS4 is as successful as it is, but I don't think its hard to see why its outselling its competition. They pretty much gave the public what they asked for. A games machine with no tv bs is exactly what the hardcore user wanted, and they tend to be those who buy into a platform this early.

All in all. If numbers are to be compared, I'd much rather compare ones we can say with a degree of certainty are real.

You could definitely see the hardcore gamers being attracted to the PS4 for those reasons.
Even still, it's quite a leap from targeting hardcore gamers for sales to the achieving the kind of sales that the console is currently enjoying, and it even has Sony a bit perplexed.

The competition is just warming up here. There's plenty of selling to do by everyone.
#82FayeLadyPosted 8/28/2014 6:52:18 PM
mw5178 posted...
Well, if we are to go by the Vgchartz data, people ARE buying the console for the games. A 50% sales increase and outselling what your console did in all of 2013 is nothing to sneeze at. They were perhaps waiting for the right Nintendo games to play.

Im sure games like Mario Kart and SSB will make the largest splashes. I just don't think that those splashes will be very large. MK8 could easily have been Nintendo's biggest game this generation, and while a 50% increase over last year sounds impressive, it also highlights how poorly the console was doing last year. Even with the MK boost the (Known to be true) numbers we have point to it not outselling the PS4, and only have VGchartz to go by to suggest it outsold the Xbone.

Assuming that other Nintendo releases do worse than MK8, as they traditionally have, its down hill from here on out.

mw5178 posted...
That's fair and understandable if you don't want to use it. It simply limits regular discussion of global sales. We can only use the LTD 10-7-5 million figures provided by the companies (we can't even use the monthly NPD data for console units sold, since they're not always published). But you can't always completely go by company numbers, either. It's a fact that they have misled in the past regarding sales, especially Microsoft.

I don't think it limits the discussion of global sales, it just focuses it on what we know to be true.

mw5178 posted...
You could definitely see the hardcore gamers being attracted to the PS4 for those reasons.
Even still, it's quite a leap from targeting hardcore gamers for sales to the achieving the kind of sales that the console is currently enjoying, and it even has Sony a bit perplexed.

The competition is just warming up here. There's plenty of selling to do by everyone.

Well consider this: We know Wii U sales were front loaded. Almost half of all Wii U sales were made in the first 3 months. We know Xbone sales were front loaded. More than half of all Xbone sales were made in the first 3 months.

What if PS4 sales are front loaded too? Its just a much longer curve. First 3 years maybe? First 6 months? first 18 months?
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#83Who_Dat504Posted 8/28/2014 7:25:02 PM
FayeLady posted...
mw5178 posted...

Im sure games like Mario Kart and SSB will make the largest splashes. I just don't think that those splashes will be very large. MK8 could easily have been Nintendo's biggest game this generation, and while a 50% increase over last year sounds impressive, it also highlights how poorly the console was doing last year. Even with the MK boost the (Known to be true) numbers we have point to it not outselling the PS4, and only have VGchartz to go by to suggest it outsold the Xbone.

Assuming that other Nintendo releases do worse than MK8, as they traditionally have, its down hill from here on out.

mw5178 posted...

I don't think it limits the discussion of global sales, it just focuses it on what we know to be true.

mw5178 posted...

Well consider this: We know Wii U sales were front loaded. Almost half of all Wii U sales were made in the first 3 months. We know Xbone sales were front loaded. More than half of all Xbone sales were made in the first 3 months.

What if PS4 sales are front loaded too? Its just a much longer curve. First 3 years maybe? First 6 months? first 18 months?

There is no way PS4 sales will drop off a cliff like the Wii U, people are buying it now without the heavy hitters. So why would people stop buying it when the heavy hitters get released?
---
Saints, LSU, and Pelicans fan!
#84progressivegmr2Posted 8/28/2014 7:53:46 PM
Avirosb posted...
Hoo...ray, I guess?

Exactly, only the most pathetic of weirdos gives a **** about this.
---
Mario kart 8
#85mw5178Posted 8/28/2014 9:06:32 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#86VanderZooPosted 8/29/2014 1:09:25 AM
mw5178 posted...
We don't know. What we do know is that the gaming industry is tricky to figure out. Fun fact: it took longer for the PS3 to sell what the Gamecube did in their respective first years. You ask people at that time if they thought that it would sell 80 million.

That's not to say that the Wii U or XB1 is doing that, it's to reiterate that the console sales competition is full of head-scratchers, twists, and surprises.

That's not a head scratcher, PS3 cost $600 and GC cost $200 lol. Perfectly reasonable that PS3 sold less in its first year.
#87SaltyBotzPosted 8/29/2014 1:34:26 AM
LOL.....this topic!!

See, this is the sorta stuff I'm talking about when people are quick to say lolvgcharz when their system is losing, and then its suddenly legit when they're winning.
#88AvirosbPosted 8/29/2014 1:41:11 AM(edited)
SaltyBotz posted...
See, this is the sorta stuff I'm talking about when people are quick to say lolvgcharz when their system is losing, and then its suddenly legit when they're winning.
And vice versa. It's silly all the same.
---
Console wars are like pissing contests. So yeah.
#89FayeLadyPosted 8/29/2014 4:54:41 AM
mw5178 posted...
That's just it. Without knowing that, sales discussion is based purely on speculation. But me, I'd rather have some data to use to get a better sense of it, even if it isn't always reliable, than to use no data. Or have to wait on intermittent company data to make a claim about the sales.

Its based purely on speculation anyway. Thats what vg chartz is.

mw5178 posted...
Fun fact: it took longer for the PS3 to sell what the Gamecube did in their respective first years. You ask people at that time if they thought that it would sell 80 million.

See this is the exact danger of taking sites like vg chartz at face value.

These wikis actually site earnings releases and prove that isn't true at all.

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/PlayStation_3

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Nintendo_GameCube

mw5178 posted...

That game just came out recently, and most of Ninty's best-sellers are still not out yet. Alot of people often buy a console when they can play more than one game for it, not just one game.

The console has sell first. It's not all the time that a game comes out and then everyone floods the stores to buy the game for the console. Sometimes libraries have to established and reputations have to be built/rebuilt, especially when the Wii U had a negative one before.

You say this now, but just a page or so ago you argued that momentum was king. You say Nintendo's best sellers are not out yet, but traditionally they don't have a bigger sellers than Mario Kart and NSMB, games that are already out. You certainly seem more competent than those who think games like X, Bayonetta, or SMT are going to have a larger effect than games like NSMB or Mario Kart, so what gives?
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#90Hiten Mitsurugi SPosted 8/29/2014 5:06:39 AM
SSB alone will obliterate anything PS4 can bring.

X1 isn't even a factor. Wii U overtakes PS4 this holiday season, easily.
---
Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U!