Is Other M worth playing?

#1Merc123Posted 8/28/2014 2:50:48 PM
I have been getting into the Metroid Series recently with Prime Trilogy and have picked up the 2D ones (Metroid, Metroid II, Super Metroid and Fusion) on the Virtual consoles....can't find a copy of Zero Mission around here though. Also picked up Hunters used. Overall they are very fun and the series is very cool, i love the feeling if being alone and the gameplay is fun too, though the 2D ones are a bit harder or i am not used to it, the first boss in Super kind of kicked my butt honestly V_V

Anyway how is Other M, i have heard some bad things as far as story and characters go but the gameplay doesn't look that bad, plus i think i can get it really cheap used. Is it worth it or should i pass on it? Figured i would ask here since its the most active Nintendo board.
---
3DS FC 1719-3711-0721
Gamertag - Brokeslimjim v3 / PSN - Brokeslimjim
#2ZodrynPosted 8/28/2014 3:01:43 PM
Yeah, might as well play them all. Pick it up for $6 somewhere. Just don't expect it to be as amazing as Prime or Super. It's a good game, but it has frustrating story elements and is very linear. I still enjoyed it though.
---
"And most of all, remember this: Your gems are the gems that will pierce the heavens. And you are truly, truly outrageous." ~ Scarizard
#3Merc123(Topic Creator)Posted 8/29/2014 1:48:11 AM
Alright thanks for the input, i will probably look around and if its cheap enough i will probably just get it.
---
3DS FC 1719-3711-0721
Gamertag - Brokeslimjim v3 / PSN - Brokeslimjim
#4GensokyoPosted 8/29/2014 1:55:47 AM
Barely, but if you can find it for really cheap yopu might as well go for it.
---
3DS FC: 4742 - 5987 - 5552
#5AvirosbPosted 8/29/2014 2:09:09 AM
It's worth playing if someone else has already completed it so you can skip the cutscenes.
---
Console wars are like pissing contests. So yeah.
#6Shadowbird_RHPosted 8/29/2014 2:10:49 AM
IMO, no. Even if the price is within reason, I'd say the time spent playing Other M would be much better spent on other games.
---
Surrender and I will destroy you peacefully.
R.E.G.I.S. mk5 - Megas XLR
#7PS4WarriorPosted 8/29/2014 2:11:52 AM
Of course, it's one of the best Nintendo games of all time, second only to Urban Champion
#8ToozinPosted 8/29/2014 2:21:13 AM
It's worth playing in the same sense that Plan 9 From Outer Space is worth watching.
---
http://www.gamelogs.org/gamelog/Toozin.html
#9GencoilPosted 8/29/2014 2:25:01 AM(edited)
If you can try focusing on something other than the story/narrative then it's still a pretty good Metroid game. It's very fast-paced and feels like a 2D Metroid with an added dimension (I know that sounds weird but that's how it feels thanks to the simple D-pad controls). The game has a rather large supporting cast compared to the earlier Metroids, so you don't quite get the same feeling of being alone. But the federation soldiers get picked off one by one so it gets lonelier as the game progresses. It even manages to be a little frightening at one point when you meet a familiar boss from Metroid Fusion.
---
www.klustr.net || Xbox LIVE: Nitesoul || PSN: Gencoil || NNID: Recoil
#10ToozinPosted 8/29/2014 2:33:15 AM
Gencoil posted...
If you can try focusing on something other than the story/narrative then it's still a pretty good Metroid game. It's very fast-paced and feels like a 2D Metroid with an added dimension (I know that sounds weird but that's how it feels thanks to the simple D-pad controls). The game has a rather large supporting cast compared to the earlier Metroids, so you don't quite get the same feeling of being alone. But the federation soldiers get picked off one by one so it gets lonelier as the game progresses. It even manages to be a little frightening at one point when you meet a familiar boss from Metroid Fusion.

False, it's a terrible Metroid game. There is zero exploration and thanks to sensemove and focus, every single expansion you pick up is completely moot. Even Metroid Fusion, the previous low bar for linearity and lack of freedom in the series, is much more open to exploration than Other M is.
---
http://www.gamelogs.org/gamelog/Toozin.html