Nintendo confusing the average consumer isn't helping them.

#1vermilion99Posted 8/29/2014 12:56:09 PM
How many iterations of the DS, 3DS, and 2DS do we have now? Look at the confusion they cause with the WiiU. Gamepad is mandatory but then you have 15 controllers to choose from. The hardcore might like options, but it confuses the average consumer.

I thought the GBA era was bad but the whole DS brand has been handled worse and gonna end up costing them. They aren't doing anything but causing even more confusion. The Wii was the same way. It was bad enough with the peripherals, and now the WiiU has 900 controller options with commercials showing people using Wiimotes and they wonder why there was and is so much confusion with it.
#2DiscostewSMPosted 8/29/2014 1:00:38 PM
vermilion99 posted...
I thought the GBA era was bad but the whole DS brand has been handled worse and gonna end up costing them.

They got the most sales ever with their DS line-of-thought.
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#3gldooriiPosted 8/29/2014 1:04:19 PM
The first thing that came to my mind about the average consumer is how stores were having a hard time getting people to understand the difference between the Wii and Wii U and now they have to explain the difference between the 2DS, 3DS, 3DS XL, New 3DS, and New 3DS XL? Sure, to us it all makes sense, but I can't tell you how many times I've heard employees at Best Buy, Target, Walmart, and Gamestop give false information regarding products and had to step in to explain it better or correctly.

I'm sure it'll all be fine, but man what a way to screw with employees that just don't care and consumers that just don't know.
---
PSN - gldoorii
Live - xgldooriix
#4NovaLevossidaPosted 8/29/2014 1:04:24 PM
The one thing Sony / MS / Nintendo have over the PC market (and even then, Steam Machines were trying to cut in on this) was the convenience factor of the entry point into the market.

The 3DS line of hardware is probably the biggest offender in terms of system hardware, and I think the Wii U has definitely reached that point in terms of confusion with the controllers (Pro controller not supported by NSMBU at launch, can't use gamepad in NSMBU to control a character in multiplayer, being unable to navigate simple system menus at launch without the gamepad, etc.).
---
The HUD...
...placed conveniently on the Wii U gamepad. - TreeFall Studios on The Letter
#5Granadico_Posted 8/29/2014 1:10:38 PM
I doubt it'll be called "New 3DS" (at least i hope so). But i don't think its very confusing, especially if they just have different looking/colored boxes.
#6RybalPosted 8/29/2014 1:11:37 PM
The issue that's going to arise from this is going to be that you could play your (current) 3DS games on any of those systems, whether the 2 or 3DS. However, this new one is effectively a completely different generation of hardware, presumably with backwards compatibility.
---
I HATE seeing incorrect information, regardless of whether it is my preferred system.
PSN: Rybal_81
#7vermilion99(Topic Creator)Posted 8/29/2014 7:57:45 PM
Granadico_ posted...
I doubt it'll be called "New 3DS" (at least i hope so). But i don't think its very confusing, especially if they just have different looking/colored boxes.

I think it's over saturating the market
#8EeqmcsqPosted 8/29/2014 9:29:56 PM
Rybal posted...
The issue that's going to arise from this is going to be that you could play your (current) 3DS games on any of those systems, whether the 2 or 3DS. However, this new one is effectively a completely different generation of hardware, presumably with backwards compatibility.

I wonder, if this New 3DS was marketed as a new handheld with backward compatibility, would current 3DS owners be as upset?
#9Starwars4JPosted 8/29/2014 9:55:36 PM
It's called the "NEW" 3DS. There's no confusion there. A parent goes to buy something for their kid, asks for the new 3DS...they get the New 3DS. Pretty simple really.
---
What I can't get over is how she ripped one testicle off..~Frogstir
I can't read your topics without expecting Bel Air now.~KensaiBlade
#10vermilion99(Topic Creator)Posted 8/29/2014 10:02:57 PM
Starwars4J posted...
It's called the "NEW" 3DS. There's no confusion there. A parent goes to buy something for their kid, asks for the new 3DS...they get the New 3DS. Pretty simple really.

I'm amazed how people defend anything. If you can't see how the 3DS line in particular has been confusing and will be even more so now, then my guess would be you came up with the idea.