When the Gamepad was first announced, did you think it had potential for...

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. When the Gamepad was first announced, did you think it had potential for...
1 year ago#1
...new ideas?

For me, no. My initial reaction was more along the lines of "what am I supposed to do with that". That's why I thought E3 2012 was decent, as it did show me some ideas of what the Gamepad could be used for. To bad Nintendo seems to have forgotten what they showed that year.
"Well, they sure don't make evil immortal sorcerers like they used to." - Klarion the Witch Boy
1 year ago#2
I think it has loads of potential.

Imagine a Dungeons and Dragons type of game. As 4 players traverse the dungeons with pro controllers or Wiimotes the Dungeon Master using the Gamepad and its touch screen could control everything to what enemys they see to setting traps.
My Youtube vids
1 year ago#3
Etrian Odyssey was my first thought and it has not left me since.
NNID: EclipseHunter 3DS FC: 1719-4517-0303
Official Xion of the KHIII Board
1 year ago#4
Imagine a Zelda (or like it) game that has the TV showing a 3D world and the Gamepad showing a 2D world that is directly connected. It'd be a massive scale of course, but the possibilities are there.
If history repeats itself I'm getting a dinosaur
1 year ago#5
Personally l've never stopped thinking about how much Trauma Center could do with it. That's the only game l can think of that is guaranteed to get tons of mileage out of it.
1 year ago#6
Nope. I thought it was like having the biggest ugliest DS ever, and now having owned it I only realize it's even worse than a DS by having the touch screen separated from your TV screen and so totally annoying to try to look back and forth between.
1 year ago#7
Yeah, I still think it does. Of course, having potential is nothing without people who know how to take advantage of that potential, and with something new, that can take time.

While I wouldn't expect or recommend full retail titles be made to try a bunch of cleaver new ideas with the Gamepad's features, I would recommend the development of inexpensive eShop titles as a testing ground for such ideas.
Surrender and I will destroy you peacefully.
R.E.G.I.S. mk5 - Megas XLR
1 year ago#8
Didn't think it be revolutionary but figured it be a ps3 with a touchscreen gimmick, It be more helpful for certain things.
1 year ago#9
No, and I still don't. It just struck me as a worse DS: two screen idea, but the screens are no longer next to each other which necessitates having to move your head to go back and forth between them.
The HUD...
...placed conveniently on the Wii U gamepad. - TreeFall Studios on The Letter
1 year ago#10
There are a lot of uses and many games have already shows us a bunch of these uses, but the gaming media and general internet groupthink mentality wants to keep the narrative that it's not really found a justification going.

- Because of recent rejections of any and all motion controls at the end of 7th gen (the failure of Kinect 2.0 being the final example) gamers and media are extremely wary of anything that could be labelled a "gimmick", despite Nintendo and smart devices having tried and true success with second screen functionality.

- So there is a super fine-line that Nintendo has to walk here. The gaming media will beg for games that make exclusive special use of the gamepad (NintendoLand, Game and Wario, Pikmin3, The Wonderful 101 etc...) but then trash them immediately for being too "gimmicky" and ask "why can't they just make a game I can sit down with a controller and play"... Then they'll go right back to asking if off-TV and inventory/map screens are enough to justify it.

Basically, whatever Nintendo does, there is a substantial part of internet culture led by lazy gaming media to condemn it.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. When the Gamepad was first announced, did you think it had potential for...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived