When the Gamepad was first announced, did you think it had potential for...

#21NovaeGamerPosted 8/31/2014 12:01:52 PM
iKhanic posted...
NovaeGamer posted...
Didn't expect anything revolutionary; basically expected what we got:
- Off TV-Play
- some touchscreen stuff
- basically all form of menus transferred to the gamepad (Which I find AWESOME)

Doesn't it bother you how much power was sacrificed for really passive features that have been done before?

hmmm, somewhat......
The gamepad doesn't bring so much "newness/revolutionaryness" than was probably expected from Nintendo, and a more "traditional" approach of "moar power!" would have probably put them in a better position in the industry (then again...maybe not);
However, even though the features are not "new" or "revolutionary", I still enjoy them.

If the gamepad was worth cutting power and having a expensive controller.....well, from a business standpoint obviously not; from a gaming standpoint it really depends....
I personally don't care about graphics (resolution, not "artistic value"), and really just expect Nintendo to give me the same quality stuff they have given me the since ever; so I don't really care as long as the games are enjoyable. and I think the gamepad adds something positive(not much, nothing new; but something....)

But I can absolutely understand why people would think the gamepad-idea was a complete mistake by Nintendo
---
When I want realistic graphics, I take a break from gaming and look at reality......
#22OystersoupPosted 8/31/2014 12:34:14 PM
No.
#23Lefty128kPosted 8/31/2014 12:39:14 PM
The tablet is good for having a blank screen in Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze.
#24iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 8/31/2014 12:44:04 PM
NovaeGamer posted...
iKhanic posted...
NovaeGamer posted...
Didn't expect anything revolutionary; basically expected what we got:
- Off TV-Play
- some touchscreen stuff
- basically all form of menus transferred to the gamepad (Which I find AWESOME)

Doesn't it bother you how much power was sacrificed for really passive features that have been done before?

hmmm, somewhat......
The gamepad doesn't bring so much "newness/revolutionaryness" than was probably expected from Nintendo, and a more "traditional" approach of "moar power!" would have probably put them in a better position in the industry (then again...maybe not);
However, even though the features are not "new" or "revolutionary", I still enjoy them.

If the gamepad was worth cutting power and having a expensive controller.....well, from a business standpoint obviously not; from a gaming standpoint it really depends....
I personally don't care about graphics (resolution, not "artistic value"), and really just expect Nintendo to give me the same quality stuff they have given me the since ever; so I don't really care as long as the games are enjoyable. and I think the gamepad adds something positive(not much, nothing new; but something....)

But I can absolutely understand why people would think the gamepad-idea was a complete mistake by Nintendo

Wouldn't it just be better then if Nintendo made games for another console, and used those console's methods of second screed play?
---
"Well, they sure don't make evil immortal sorcerers like they used to." - Klarion the Witch Boy
#25Granadico_Posted 8/31/2014 1:09:46 PM
ynot_zoidberg posted...
There are a lot of uses and many games have already shows us a bunch of these uses, but the gaming media and general internet groupthink mentality wants to keep the narrative that it's not really found a justification going.

- Because of recent rejections of any and all motion controls at the end of 7th gen (the failure of Kinect 2.0 being the final example) gamers and media are extremely wary of anything that could be labelled a "gimmick", despite Nintendo and smart devices having tried and true success with second screen functionality.

- So there is a super fine-line that Nintendo has to walk here. The gaming media will beg for games that make exclusive special use of the gamepad (NintendoLand, Game and Wario, Pikmin3, The Wonderful 101 etc...) but then trash them immediately for being too "gimmicky" and ask "why can't they just make a game I can sit down with a controller and play"... Then they'll go right back to asking if off-TV and inventory/map screens are enough to justify it.

Basically, whatever Nintendo does, there is a substantial part of internet culture led by lazy gaming media to condemn it.

Exactly this.