Why are JRPG devs reluctant to bring their games to Nintendo consoles?

#1iKhanicPosted 9/1/2014 11:40:31 AM
I was looking at some TGS news and saw that PS4 is picking up on JRPG support despite abysmal Japanese sales.

That led me to question why JRPG makers are shy about bringing their games to Nintendo system. Historically, aside from the N64, they have sold pretty well on Nintendo systems. The Crystal Chronicles series, Monster Hunter, and Tales of Symphonia to name a few 3rd party games.

I get that they have fanbases on Sony systems, but with new systems out, it's really much more of a clean slate.
---
"Well, they sure don't make evil immortal sorcerers like they used to." - Klarion the Witch Boy
#2ExDiosPosted 9/1/2014 11:41:24 AM
Maybe the same reason almost every other third party has been avoiding Nintendo?
---
Anime currently watching: Hunter x Hunter (2011), Noragami
Games Currently Playing: Ryse: Son of Rome, Diablo III UEE
#3squatch22Posted 9/1/2014 11:41:44 AM
JRPGs are mostly portable now
#4ArabrockermanXPosted 9/1/2014 11:42:27 AM
I could be wrong but some of these may be payed for exclusives.
#5iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 9/1/2014 11:44:33 AM
squatch22 posted...

Not all, and even still Vita is getting a lion's share of them.
---
"Well, they sure don't make evil immortal sorcerers like they used to." - Klarion the Witch Boy
#6lilburritoPosted 9/1/2014 11:45:35 AM
iKhanic posted...
I was looking at some TGS news and saw that PS4 is picking up on JRPG support despite abysmal Japanese sales.

That led me to question why JRPG makers are shy about bringing their games to Nintendo system. Historically, aside from the N64, they have sold pretty well on Nintendo systems. The Crystal Chronicles series, Monster Hunter, and Tales of Symphonia to name a few 3rd party games.

I get that they have fanbases on Sony systems, but with new systems out, it's really much more of a clean slate.

Every PlayStation onto now has had quite the bit of healthy of support for JRPGS. Despite the console having none of those games "yesterday" I was still planning on picking up the PS4 because I "knew" those games were going to come eventually. The PS1, PS2 and PS3 have had a dang good track record when it comes to receiving these types of games, so it was a no question sort of thing for me.

I guess Sony just sort of hit all the right sweet spots with those devs at that period of time.
---
"Henshin A Go-Go Baby!"
#7squatch22Posted 9/1/2014 11:45:40 AM
iKhanic posted...
squatch22 posted...

I didn't say all.
And Vita is portable
#8iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 9/1/2014 11:48:09 AM
squatch22 posted...
iKhanic posted...
squatch22 posted...

I didn't say all.
And Vita is portable

And? My point is still relevant. Why are new Y's games showing up on Vita and not 3DS.
---
#9squatch22Posted 9/1/2014 11:50:06 AM
iKhanic posted...
squatch22 posted...
iKhanic posted...
squatch22 posted...

I didn't say all.
And Vita is portable

And? My point is still relevant. Why are new Y's games showing up on Vita and not 3DS.

Ys didn't go to DS either
#10iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 9/1/2014 11:50:40 AM
lilburrito posted...
iKhanic posted...

Every PlayStation onto now has had quite the bit of healthy of support for JRPGS. Despite the console having none of those games "yesterday" I was still planning on picking up the PS4 because I "knew" those games were going to come eventually. The PS1, PS2 and PS3 have had a dang good track record when it comes to receiving these types of games, so it was a no question sort of thing for me.

I guess Sony just sort of hit all the right sweet spots with those devs at that period of time.

Yes, but common knowledge would dictate that the PS4 and Vita that are selling rather poorly in Japan would compel such devs to jump ship.

It could just be that Sony is very good at courting these devs, while Nintendo doesn't bother as much.
---