Wii U is only 32 gigs but....

#1Lemmywinks13Posted 9/1/2014 2:07:06 PM
Is it true that games like Dead Rising use 50+ gigs of space???? That is insane if true. I also heard that Dead Rising had an update that was freaking 11 gigs! Maybe someone can correct me on this if I heard wrong.

If it's right, what is causing this huge discrepency? Mario 3D World was 1 gig, I can't understand how an update could be 11 times bigger. If I'm wrong, then ignore this lol.
#2Neonwarrior1243Posted 9/1/2014 2:11:32 PM
They use uncompressed audio.
#3Lemmywinks13(Topic Creator)Posted 9/1/2014 2:15:13 PM
Neonwarrior1243 posted...

Ahh....so Mario 3D World had an amazing soundtrack. So you are saying that compressing the audio saves a TON of space and sounds great?
#4DiscostewSMPosted 9/1/2014 2:19:30 PM
The music in SM3DW may not be streamed, but is sequenced like MIDI, but uses superior instrument sounds, reducing the overall size of the audio, even compared to compressed audio. Decoding audio can take up a bit of processing. Having just one (for something like music) is not going to negatively affect much, but if you've got dozens of sounds going on at the same time, then it could be a problem that uncompressed sound won't have as much problem with, since it is already decoded.
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#5Lemmywinks13(Topic Creator)Posted 9/1/2014 2:21:27 PM
DiscostewSM posted...
The music in SM3DW may not be streamed, but is sequenced like MIDI, but uses superior instrument sounds, reducing the overall size of the audio, even compared to compressed audio. Decoding audio can take up a bit of processing. Having just one (for something like music) is not going to negatively affect much, but if you've got dozens of sounds going on at the same time, then it could be a problem that uncompressed sound won't have as much problem with, since it is already decoded.

Thanks for the explanation. A bit too techie for me to totally understand but thanks. That is still an insane amount of memory being hogged by one game for an update. 500 gigs won't stretch too far at that rate so I think Xbox and PS4 have just as big of memory issues as wii u has.
#6Neonwarrior1243Posted 9/1/2014 2:21:39 PM
Lemmywinks13 posted...
Neonwarrior1243 posted...

Ahh....so Mario 3D World had an amazing soundtrack. So you are saying that compressing the audio saves a TON of space and sounds great?

You can only really tell the difference with high quality sound equipment.
#7Pink_a_DinkPosted 9/1/2014 2:22:19 PM
Is Dead Rising 3 on the Wii U? Because I know the Xbox One has like 500gigs so it wouldn't be too bad for them.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grtEt0Cudt8
Screw PS4, XB1, and Wii U. Gamesphere is where it's at. Its spherical! SPHERICAL!!!
#8Granadico_Posted 9/1/2014 2:24:40 PM
Pink_a_Dink posted...
Is Dead Rising 3 on the Wii U? Because I know the Xbox One has like 500gigs so it wouldn't be too bad for them.

500GB goes really fast when everything has mandatory installs, plus possible patches and DLC.
32gb is extreemyl small, but when there's no mandatory installs, hardly any patches and DLC, its not much of aproblem unless you're going digital only.
#9TomoEK9Posted 9/1/2014 2:26:26 PM(edited)
Lemmywinks13 posted...
500 gigs won't stretch too far at that rate so I think Xbox and PS4 have just as big of memory issues as wii u has.

Sony allows swapping of HDD so people can install a bigger drive while MS allows use of external drives and the HDD is also potentially swappable (though it may void the warranty).

All three consoles have ways of adding memory, though use of external drives is less than ideal
#10Lemmywinks13(Topic Creator)Posted 9/1/2014 2:38:09 PM
TomoEK9 posted...
Lemmywinks13 posted...
500 gigs won't stretch too far at that rate so I think Xbox and PS4 have just as big of memory issues as wii u has.

Sony allows swapping of HDD so people can install a bigger drive while MS allows use of external drives and the HDD is also potentially swappable (though it may void the warranty).

All three consoles have ways of adding memory, though use of external drives is less than ideal

I understand that, it just seems like only Wii U gets crap for having such a small hard drive, even though it does as much with that memory as the other do with 500 gigs.