Minecraft likely not coming to Wii U

#1RetrowirePosted 9/2/2014 9:25:13 AM
From the headline on Nintendolife.com's front page.

FTA this is a statement from Daniel Kaplan, the guy in charge of console ports of Minecraft basically:
It's mostly about platforms that make sense... With the release of PS4 and Xbox One I think we have fulfilled most of the needs for now. There aren't many platforms left to release on. We'll see, whatever makes sense and if the platform has the user base for it. We won't release on the platform if the base is very small because it's much too big of an effort.

And yet they think the userbase for the VITA of all consoles is substantial enough? And yet, the 3DS and Wii U are NOT dead last in this userbase war? Especially the 3DS... come on.

Minecraft has been cited as the perfect idea for the Wii U, with it's gamepad functionality and other features and yet Minecraft is going on every other system under the sun. As if producing the game for other consoles wouldn't be lucrative? This game has such a phenomenal following (myself included) that I wouldn't be surprised if Minecraft becomes a default staple in computer gaming like Solitaire and Minesweeper and just come included with computers.

This isn't just about Minecraft though, this is about dev's skipping Nintendo consoles. And here is a dev being completely asinine with their reasoning. If their priorities are based around the size of userbases, then they've got no reason to skip the Wii U or 3ds.
---
The most important question of our generation is,
"What has the internet made you become?"
#2X_Ste_90_XPosted 9/2/2014 9:44:13 AM
I only think the Vita is getting it because of the other PS platforms. In a way, the Wii U makes more sense than any other console interface wise. The 3DS doesn't though, it would be the worst version of the game due to hardware limitations. Even the iOS versions would be better.
---
Currently Playing- Diablo 3- PS4, Assassins Creed 4- PS4, Forza 5- X1.
Currently Awaiting- Destiny- PS4, GTA 5- PS4, Forza Horizon 2- X1, Smash Brothers-Wii U.
#3Retrowire(Topic Creator)Posted 9/2/2014 9:45:38 AM
X_Ste_90_X posted...
I only think the Vita is getting it because of the other PS platforms. In a way, the Wii U makes more sense than any other console interface wise. The 3DS doesn't though, it would be the worst version of the game due to hardware limitations. Even the iOS versions would be better.

Possibly, control wise, but hey New 3DS kinda changes all of that.
---
#4spenser211Posted 9/2/2014 9:45:54 AM
I think they're stupid for this. I personally wouldn't play much of it , but I know for a fact my son would.
---
Spuz (3DS) 0834-1399-5430 (NNID) Spuz
#5Dark_Link92Posted 9/2/2014 9:46:22 AM
I always thought it would work nicely on 3DS. Minecraft's 3D looks pretty good. Probably couldn't handle it though.

I'd quite like it on Wii U, but I'm not devastated we're not getting it.
---
2/8/2014- I officially predict Ridley playable in Smash 4. If he's not, I'll quietly change my signature and no one needs to remind me of this ever again.
#6TheFallenPriestPosted 9/2/2014 9:48:56 AM
Why would anyone get mine craft on something aside from pc? Minecraft sucks without the mods.
---
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/BluePriest-1587/hero/3203281
#7X_Ste_90_XPosted 9/2/2014 9:49:19 AM
Retrowire posted...
X_Ste_90_X posted...

I'm not sure it would be able to run it well enough as well, even the n3DS isn't exactly going to be a powerhouse compared to the Vita.
---
Currently Playing- Diablo 3- PS4, Assassins Creed 4- PS4, Forza 5- X1.
Currently Awaiting- Destiny- PS4, GTA 5- PS4, Forza Horizon 2- X1, Smash Brothers-Wii U.
#8EoinPosted 9/2/2014 9:55:10 AM
Retrowire posted...
And yet they think the userbase for the VITA of all consoles is substantial enough?

The Vita runs fairly standard mobile architecture. It would have been extremely easy to port to.

Retrowire posted...

We don't even know all the specs of the New 3DS, so we don't know what has changed. It seems quite unlikely that the spec bump will bring it anywhere close to the Vita though. There's no reason to think that the specs are more than doubled in any area, and that would still leave it with weaker hardware than the Vita - and hardware that was quite different to any other architecture as well, which would make the porting job even more difficult.
#9Retrowire(Topic Creator)Posted 9/2/2014 10:01:13 AM
X_Ste_90_X posted...
Retrowire posted...
X_Ste_90_X posted...

I'm not sure it would be able to run it well enough as well, even the n3DS isn't exactly going to be a powerhouse compared to the Vita.

You don't think it would be powerful ENOUGH? It doesn't have to be a monster. If a smartphone can run it, then a handheld console with an upgraded cpu better than a regular 3DS could run it.
---
#10Retrowire(Topic Creator)Posted 9/2/2014 10:01:38 AM
TheFallenPriest posted...
Why would anyone get mine craft on something aside from pc? Minecraft sucks without the mods.

I can agree with this, but Minecraft is also fun without them.
---