What is Nintendo's reason for keeping Region Lock when the competition doesn't?

#61ThaPrinceRazielPosted 9/4/2014 10:54:41 AM
Greed.

And a fan base that would let them get away with murder. Or at least reason as to why they'd do that.
---
Game Developers on Wii U: hahaha no...
googler:Wii U.. about to take off like a North Korean rocket!
#62king_maddenPosted 9/4/2014 10:56:33 AM
Its nintendo so whatever the reason is its related to money.

I mean aren't they the ones who will charge to remove parental controls
#63MrXmediaPosted 9/4/2014 10:59:48 AM
PS4Warrior posted...
Nintendo is confused and out of touch with region locking.
#64TerotrousPosted 9/4/2014 11:06:10 AM
kdognumba1 posted...
which is unlike the competitors platforms that are region free yet have most of their libraries being localized.

That's definitely not true of PSP or Vita, which got massively shafted with localizations. Thank goodness they're region free.

Really, the only reason PS3's localization rate seems good is because it has very few games that were made in Japan. Of those that were, it still has about the same number not making it over as you'd expect.
---
http://whatliesbeyondnovel.blogspot.ca/
My novel, now fully published online!
#65Black_AssassinPosted 9/4/2014 11:11:21 AM
sg91 posted...
Basically they claim it's for "parental controls and to comply with the local ratings systems."

The funny thing about this is that many countries that have the PAL region code have different rating systems.
---
lowercase
#66Recca KunPosted 9/4/2014 11:29:01 AM
Pharsti01 posted...
Terotrous posted...
Neo_Heartless posted...
Say a game was released for the WiiU in Japan that depicted, say, Nazis. Hell, lets say Persona 2 was released on the 3DS in Japan, a game where you fight Hitler in an area covered in Swastikas while he wields the True Spear of Longinus, the spear that pierced Christ. Now you have a game that references Germany's dark past AND references Christianity. Were the game to be released in Germany, people would be furious. With region locking, this game can never see the light of day in Germany. Without it, anyone can import the game.

Uhh, Persona 2 was released on PSP, which is region free, and no one cared. The game is rated M, it can do basically whatever it wants.

Or... you know, South Park: The Stick of Truth, region free ya know, i got mine from the US.
Or every PC game ever made.

Seriously, never before has there been any problem that could have been avoided by making a game region locked.

Someone made a perfect post about the nonsense excuse about lawsuits... let me see if i can find it, there ya go, couldnt have said it better myself:

Eoin posted...

CDs were region free. Many DVDs were all-region or multi-region. Approximately 70% of Blu-rays are region free. The PS3, PSP, Vita, PS4, Xbox One, Game Boy, Game Boy Advance and original versions of the Nintendo DS were all region free (with two exceptions across all those systems, one on PS3 and one on PSP). The Xbox 360 and original Xbox were region optional. Books, obviously, are region free. PC games on disc are all region free.

There has never been been a single lawsuit against the publishers of any of the above that would have been avoided if there had been a region lock.

Only ignorance on here is the one from people like you Neo.

Good post.
---
TF2
#67Thunderbird8Posted 9/4/2014 11:49:29 AM
sg91 posted...
Basically they claim it's for "parental controls and to comply with the local ratings systems." Funny because that didn't stop their own DS from being region free.

DS doesn't have parental controls though...

All Nintendo systems with parental controls are region locked.
#68king_maddenPosted 9/4/2014 12:56:38 PM
Thunderbird8 posted...
sg91 posted...
Basically they claim it's for "parental controls and to comply with the local ratings systems." Funny because that didn't stop their own DS from being region free.

DS doesn't have parental controls though...

All Nintendo systems with parental controls are region locked.

its still a crap reason. people can still just import the games.
#69SSJ4CHRISPosted 9/4/2014 1:10:22 PM(edited)
Neo_Heartless posted...
If I may, there's a lot of ignorance in this thread. I hope what I'm about to suggest may shed some light onto why Nintendo Region lock.

You see, to many, Nintendo are the soft touch company, the one for kids. In today's blame culture, it's a lot easier to go after the soft touch than it is one of the larger companies. With that in mind, think about what would happen should a game make it into a country with something culturally offensive?

Lets take Germany for example. Say a game was released for the WiiU in Japan that depicted, say, Nazis. Hell, lets say Persona 2 was released on the 3DS in Japan, a game where you fight Hitler in an area covered in Swastikas while he wields the True Spear of Longinus, the spear that pierced Christ. Now you have a game that references Germany's dark past AND references Christianity. Were the game to be released in Germany, people would be furious. With region locking, this game can never see the light of day in Germany. Without it, anyone can import the game.

And people are stupid. They wouldn't blame Atlus, or the people who imported the game, they'd blame Nintendo. "They're insulting our culture! These games shouldn't appear on Nintendo consoles! It's anti-semetic!" etc etc. There would be outrage, bad publicity, even lawsuits. Governments would blame Nintendo for not doing more to make sure the game wasn't available there. Don't believe me?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1092613/Mothers-fury-Nintendo-Scrabble-game-taught-son-swear-words.html

"Nintendo" scrabble game developed by Ubisoft.

http://metro.co.uk/2007/05/10/girl-says-nintendo-swore-at-her-347867/

These are just an example of the idiots Nintendo has to deal with on a daily basis, and this is most likely all user generated content. The copy of Animal Crossing, for example, was either a pre-owned game or user inputted text, yet can't let that get in the way of sensationalism!

Now look at the games Japan gets. Do you think Nintendo would survive the backlash if the likes of Captain Rainbow was able to be purchased worldwide?

TL:DR: Nintendo region locks because they have to cover virtually every base to make sure they don't get sued out the wazoo as they are a much, MUCH easier target than Sony or Microsoft.

As soon as you claimed Nintendo wasn't a "larger company", your entire post was invalidated. You must have no idea what you are talking about to say such a misinformed thing and expect people to believe it.
---
The Internet allows us to make more mistakes faster than any invention in history. With the possible exceptions of Handguns and Tequila!
#70kaminarikidPosted 9/4/2014 2:07:12 PM(edited)
Terotrous posted...
There's 2 types of gamers. Those who import games, and those who are missing out.

---
Just because a game gets Best Wii Game Of The Year, doesn't make it good.
http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/Kaminari_Kid.png